Half Moon Cay- Hobie Cat Rental

ccruise87

• 2 weeks later...

In all the reviews with pictures I've seen, there appear to be Hobie Waves available. We rented a Hobie last year at one of the private islands for $50 and had a great time...I believe it was on Princess Cay? Anyway, leaving Sunday on the Sunshine and were planning on renting a Hobie at HMC as well.

If you look down the board to this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2226103

and check out the copy of the price list, you will see Hobie Cats listed.

Having been to HMC 8 times, I can state the Hobie Cat operation is NOT follow the leader. You can do your own thing. Jet skis are follow the leader. Hobie Cats are definitely not.

What cruise line are we talking about?

Most of the water activity items- Hobie Cats, snorkel gear, etc, you book when you get ashore. They seem to have a good supply.

Excursions, cabanas, clamshells are book in advance.

Thanks! We are going on Carnival and really want to rent a hobie while at HMC. Is that rent when you get to the island?

Double check on the Carnival website when excursions are available, but pretty sure you will book when you go ashore.

I'll be in HMC in a couple of months with Carnival. I hope to rent a Hobie Cat too.

I don't see anything related to them in the excursions list so I'm sure it's a rent on shore thing. Hoping they are available in case we get to shore a little late.

Please let me know if you are able to rent one! I hope you have a great trip! So jealous!

Back from our trip today...and wanted to report back! As I suspected, they had two Hobie Waves available for rent on the Island. They rent for $50 an hour. My husband found that they weren't really well maintained(no cleat on main sheet block, sail battens missing/broken), but we still had a great time! The water is beautiful! They give you a decent area in which you are allowed to sail. Both boats seemed to be rented out for the majority of the day, but I'm sure this varies with each cruise. Hope you have a great time:)!

Back from our trip today...and wanted to report back! As I suspected, they had two Hobie Waves available for rent on the Island. They rent for $50 an hour. My husband found that they weren't really well maintained(no cleat on main sheet block, sail battens missing/broken), but we still had a great time! The water is beautiful! They give you a decent area in which you are allowed to sail. Both boats seemed to be rented out for the majority of the day, but I'm sure this varies with each cruise. Hope you have a great time:)!

Thx for that update. I figure we'll have to get to them early.

What cruise ship were you on?

Edited by El Pistoffo

• 2 weeks later...

Just be aware that they stop renting water sports equipment 2 hrs before the last tender! I tried to rent a kayak for 1 hr at 2:15 and the last tender wasn't until 4:15 and they wouldn't let me rent one. When I asked why he said something about having to load everything back onto the ship. I wouldn't think they would bring water sports equipment back on board but maybe they had to go load up the items they do bring back with them. Anyway, it was disappointing. :(