has RC ever lost luggage from port to boat?

I know airlines are famous for losing luggage, but we are driving down.

We are dropping our tagged luggage off with the porter, and checking in and boarding ship...

has anyone heard of luggage getting lost from the point of dropping off with porters and making it to the cabin?

Me me me!!!! On my Allure cruise. I am convinced, but obviously can't prove, that someone walked off with my bag before the porter took the cart into the terminal. I believe someone had sticky fingers.

Arrived at the terminal and gave the porter our luggage. We had 2 large suitcases, 1 garment bag, and a medium sized cosmetic bag.

That day everything made it to our room except the cosmetic bag. RCL said not to worry, just give it time. Well, after 2 days, several trips to a room behind customer service where they hold untagged luggage, and the "naughty naughty" room just to check, it was MIA. Filled out a missing luggage report. Had to go into Nassau to pick up a few things that were missing that I couldn't do without. EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

RCL did give us a credit to our onboard account. Very nice of them but it didn't even come close to covering the missing items. BUT, we had cruise insurance!!!!!!

Filed an insurance claim once we got home. Said we needed a copy of the missing luggage report. I didn't even think of getting one. Big mistake!!!! Called RCL's missing luggage dept and asked if I could get one. They said they would e-mail the ship to get it. Well, bad news, can't find any report that we filled out. After a frustrating conversation with this dept, I realized that I was getting nowhere. So now I e-mailed Adam Goldstein.

Mr. Goldstein forwarded this e-mail to a nice lady in the executive office to handle. In the end, they could see that we had lost luggage, they gave us compensation, but couldn't locate the written report. She had a letter typed up for me to use in place of the report. I faxed all my info to the trip insurance company. It took several weeks but they did reimburse me.

Oh, and most of my items were not covered. Apparently, in really fine print somewhere on the contract, it says that if the lost items are not neccessary items, they are not covered. So things like perfume, cologne, hairdryer, electric shaver, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, etc., are not covered. Had a few clothing items that were covered.

Oh, and most of my items were not covered. Apparently, in really fine print somewhere on the contract, it says that if the lost items are not neccessary items, they are not covered. So things like perfume, cologne, hairdryer, electric shaver, shampoo/conditioner, deodorant, etc., are not covered. Had a few clothing items that were covered.

Question #1: Cruise line or third party insurance?

Question #2: "Necessary items" Would that be all the clothes in the bag or just a few of them. For instance, you had two pairs of slacks but would only one pair be covered since that is all that you need? Bathing suit. That's not "necessary" but still something important on a cruise.

Tucker in Texas

Someone took one of our bags off the carousel at Port Canaveral when we disembarked from Enchantment last week. Luckily we were able to get it back after an hour or so.

wow, that is my fear, that it will "walk away" when I take my eyes off of it.. anyone else lose any luggage this way?

Please don't let this overtake you. This happens very rarely. The porters put your luggage on carts; you are welcome to stand there and watch them if you want, but people don't just go and help themselves to your bags. Obviously post #3 suggests otherwise, but it hasn't happened to us in many cruises and it is not regularly discussed here on the boards, leading me to believe it doesn't happen often.

If you are desperately worried about this, you can carry on your luggage but it has to be small enough to fit through the scanner, and you will need to keep it with you until the cabins become available, usually by 1 or 1:30 pm.

I saw it happen. Doing the Mariner out of TX two years ago we were sitting on the balcony waiting to sail when we saw a luggage cart break loose from the tug and go right over the side of the pier into the water. It seemed pretty funny only because we had our luggage already. So I guess technically they didn't "loose it" but I am sure there were a few unhappy passengers with wet clothes. We didn't hang around long enough to see if they fished the cart out. I sort of doubt they did as it was between the ship and the pier so I am thinking way to dangerous until after the ship left.

Someone took one of our bags off the carousel at Port Canaveral when we disembarked from Enchantment last week. Luckily we were able to get it back after an hour or so.

Had that happen on our first cruise eons ago but we were lucky as well, to find it before they left the terminal.

We make sure our luggage stands out!! not just plain black etc. and we even put our initials onto coloured tape -on the cases!!! People are in a hurry and grab a bag, so make it stand out as different from all the others.

Heard and read on CC, stories of luggage going into the water on the way to the ship.:eek: Seen nets under the conveyor belt taking the bags to the ship, should help......

I take my carry on with me though, with my better items in it and all medication. Don't trust anyone and I have enough in my case to enjoy the cruise, if need be.

Had that happen on our first cruise eons ago but we were lucky as well, to find it before they left the terminal.

We make sure our luggage stands out!! not just plain black etc. and we even put our initials onto coloured tape -on the cases!!! People are in a hurry and grab a bag, so make it stand out as different from all the others.

Heard and read on CC, stories of luggage going into the water on the way to the ship.:eek: Seen nets under the conveyor belt taking the bags to the ship, should help......

I take my carry on with me though, with my better items in it and all medication. Don't trust anyone and I have enough in my case to enjoy the cruise, if need be.

We've got to do that to our bags. We lucked out in that it was a local that had taken our bag. If it had been someone with a flight, it would have been more complicated.

Question #1: Cruise line or third party insurance?

Question #2: "Necessary items" Would that be all the clothes in the bag or just a few of them. For instance, you had two pairs of slacks but would only one pair be covered since that is all that you need? Bathing suit. That's not "necessary" but still something important on a cruise.

Tucker in Texas

Third party insurance.

All clothing is covered as far as I know. I had a few undergarments that I stashed in the outside pockets at the last minute. All covered.

Please don't let this overtake you. This happens very rarely. The porters put your luggage on carts; you are welcome to stand there and watch them if you want, but people don't just go and help themselves to your bags. Obviously post #3 suggests otherwise, but it hasn't happened to us in many cruises and it is not regularly discussed here on the boards, leading me to believe it doesn't happen often.

If you are desperately worried about this, you can carry on your luggage but it has to be small enough to fit through the scanner, and you will need to keep it with you until the cabins become available, usually by 1 or 1:30 pm.

Ha ha, my post. The Allure was our 3rd cruise. On our first, the Disney Wonder, another party took our daughter's one suitcase from the terminal before we disembarked. Between my family and Disney, we figured out who had our bag from the very few bags remaining in our area. Disney met us at check-in at MCO with our bag. They tracked it down as it was being transferred from Port Canaveral to the airport.

So while agree that it is very uncommon to have your bag go missing, by my Allure trip, 2 out of 3 cruises had luggage issues :cool: So I am probably not the best person to try to calm someone's fears about luggage transfers :eek:;)

Third party insurance.

All clothing is covered as far as I know. I had a few undergarments that I stashed in the outside pockets at the last minute. All covered.

Adding to my own post, to late to edit.

ETA: I believe the insurance was through Travel Guard, but I may be wrong. But it is one that you see people on here recommend, that is why I went with them. If you having clothing receipts, they reimburse you 100%, if not, 75% of what you say it cost you. They did also cover the value of the luggage. BUT, they did deduct the $150 from what Royal gave us due to the loss. Royal put it on our account as an resolution credit.

75a3bd44-de6f-4464-bb5f-4e78f5ba3fb8_zps9e5d3b9e.jpg

Aww, no probably not. :( Sorry this happened to you.

That's okay :), but thank you. Two years later, I am done crying over it :D (the missing bag, not the luggage that was actually recovered)

I got my luggage lost in the majesty of the seas. It wasn't waiting for me at the terminal but got it back in a week, I never knew what happened to it but I was happy that I got it back

I also noticed that most of the people just drop the luggages with the porter and leave. I prefer to watch my luggages getting inside the building at least.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I remember a story posted on the Carnival board. There were two Carnival ships at the port of Miami and somehow, the bag was loaded on the OTHER ship and went for a week vacation to the Western Caribbean while the owners went to the Eastern Caribbean. I have no idea how a single bag made its way to another ship, but in that case it did. The family was informed that their bag had been located after the ship sailed, but because of the logistics of getting the bag to them, they didn't get it back until they returned to Miami on the last day.

Count me as a fan of travel insurance! One of our bags got lost (I'm sure it was taken from the baggage claim carrousel by someone else), and we were reimbursed to the tune of $4,000 to cover lost items, newly purchased items, and compensation for the bag being lost more than 7 days. Just that one claim more than covered all the travel insurance policies I've ever purchased!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes it happens! We checked in 2 bags with the porter for NAV in Ft Lauderdale and only one made it to the ship. RC was wonderful, did everything they could to find it, but it never showed up. The thought was it was taken shoreside and never made it as far as the ship - it was the bag that had all the electronics in it too.

On one of our cruises, there was a couple whose luggage was dropped in the water and not retrieved. RCCL sent them to Kmart in St. Thomas to shop for clothing replacements. Of course, one can't find formal wear at Kmart, so they allowed them to 'rent' from the ship's wardrobe. But they were very unhappy the whole cruise. To make matters worse, the wife was in a wheelchair and shopping at Kmart was a real struggle for them.

I guess RCCL did the best they could for them at the time, but so much inconvenience for this couple! And they had a teenaged daughter with them as well....and what teen is happy shopping at Kmart for their clothes? LOL That alone would make life miserable for the parents!;)

We've got to do that to our bags. We lucked out in that it was a local that had taken our bag. If it had been someone with a flight, it would have been more complicated.

We tie 2 different colored ribbons together onto the top fixed handles of our bags. Since they are all roller bags, it's hard to miss.

It won't stop porters or airlines from losing the bags, obviously, but it'll keep another passenger from walking off with the wrong bag.

Edited by nolesrule

I saw it happen. Doing the Mariner out of TX two years ago we were sitting on the balcony waiting to sail when we saw a luggage cart break loose from the tug and go right over the side of the pier into the water. It seemed pretty funny only because we had our luggage already. So I guess technically they didn't "loose it" but I am sure there were a few unhappy passengers with wet clothes. We didn't hang around long enough to see if they fished the cart out. I sort of doubt they did as it was between the ship and the pier so I am thinking way to dangerous until after the ship left.

This happened once on a cruise we were on. Thankfully, not our luggage. They had to send divers into the water to make sure they got all the luggage. I remember someone saying that they were given 2 t-shirts and a pair of shorts from store to help get through until their clothes could be laundered.

Funny reading about the luggage dropping in to the water. When I first saw this thread I thought of a cruise we were on many years ago. The whole cart went in to the drink...no netting in place at the time. Thankfully, not ours. The cruiseline washed and dry cleanned everything they could, but lots of it was ruined.

Learned alot by watching that. Pack in ziplocs!

I'm surprised that more bags don't get misplaced or stolen. They throw it all on big carts and then walk away from it. Anyone passing by could take a bag or 3. I always take our carryons, and make sure we have all emergency supplies and 1 outfit pp in those. I don't relax onboard until the bags arrive.

The airline lost our bags on our last flight to Florida this past winter and we didn't get them delivered until the next day. That's fine when you're in a hotel room, but once the ship leaves, it becomes a logistical nightmare.