Wine. :)

Hi all.

I'm a lurker and don't post much so hope it's ok to ask a question.

All cruises to date have been leaving from Sydney. Next year we leave from Singapore twice. We are doing 17 days B2B on Ovation.

I'm wondering now with the corkage fee coming into effect whether it's better to just buy what wine we might drink onboard as we go or am I likely to find reasonably priced wine in Singapore before we board that might also give me a few more options. As in wine/ where they have come from.

We aren't big drinkers so drink packages are not an option it's just more the best options for the allowed 2 bottle allocation for embarkation. I just thought that price wise it might be as economical to buy it onboard as we go rather than trying to find a bottle shop in Singapore.

Also for B2B's is it allowed to double dip, so 2 embarkations technically means 2 lots of 2 bottles? Not that it really matters just wondered.

cheers all :D Happy to hear your more experienced thoughts

Hi all.

I'm a lurker and don't post much so hope it's ok to ask a question.

All cruises to date have been leaving from Sydney. Next year we leave from Singapore twice. We are doing 17 days B2B on Ovation.

I'm wondering now with the corkage fee coming into effect whether it's better to just buy what wine we might drink onboard as we go or am I likely to find reasonably priced wine in Singapore before we board that might also give me a few more options. As in wine/ where they have come from.

We aren't big drinkers so drink packages are not an option it's just more the best options for the allowed 2 bottle allocation for embarkation. I just thought that price wise it might be as economical to buy it onboard as we go rather than trying to find a bottle shop in Singapore.

Also for B2B's is it allowed to double dip, so 2 embarkations technically means 2 lots of 2 bottles? Not that it really matters just wondered.

cheers all :D Happy to hear your more experienced thoughts

Wine in Singapore is very expensive. You'd be better off buying what you want onboard. It might be expensive but no more than a bottle of wine in a Singapore restaurant or bar. Sounds like you have a wonderful journey booked so just enjoy your cruises and prices on the ships.

I second the above reply, wine is expensive in Singapore and really it isn't worth the hassle, there won't be much choice, and it will be a ridiculous price for the quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being from Newcastle; you should be taking some of our high quality wines from the Hunter Valley. you will get a whole lot better wine & a cheaper price... Enjoy your cruise out of Singapour..

Alcohol in Singapore is very expensive compared to most places so I agree and it may be worth just buying as you go unless you have some duty free (from Australia). Hope you enjoy your trip.

Agree, having been to Singapore on European stopovers a few times, wine is very heavily taxed both in the stores and in the restaurants. I remember about 4 years ago, a bottle of Wolf Blass Yellow Label, rrp $11 in Dan Murphys was $75 in our hotel eatery. Then I saw the same wine in a 711 store in Singapore for a mere $35,

Stay off the booze in Singa, I do anyway.:halo:

I'd forgotten about Duty Free :) Hmmm food for thought. Thanks all for your input. :)

Suggest you check Singapore Customs website for current Arrival info re limits for wine, beer, spirits allowance. Max 2 bottles wine per adult. Hope this helps, Cheers!

I am agreeing with everyone else.

It's not worth getting wine in Singapore.

We always take 2 bottles from Sydney, or any other Australian port.(and sometimes 4 bottles).:)

To answer your other question. If you take 4 bottles, they SHOULD take 2 off you on embarkation, and return them to you on the last night of the first leg.

But if you board separately, with 2 bottles each...........................................................

Aussie Frequent Floaters

I am agreeing with everyone else.

It's not worth getting wine in Singapore.

We always take 2 bottles from Sydney, or any other Australian port.(and sometimes 4 bottles).:)

To answer your other question. If you take 4 bottles, they SHOULD take 2 off you on embarkation, and return them to you on the last night of the first leg.

But if you board separately, with 2 bottles each...........................................................

Aussie Frequent Floaters

So any tips on how you pack it in your checked luggage so it stays in 1 piece? I've got visions of red wine through my luggage :o I'm guessing your other suggestion has worked so will consider that :)

So any tips on how you pack it in your checked luggage so it stays in 1 piece? I've got visions of red wine through my luggage :o I'm guessing your other suggestion has worked so will consider that :)

We always bring on our wine in our carry on bags.

Drop off suitcases and go to the grog shop.:)

If you put them in your suitcases they usually end up in the naughty room.

We have taken bottle of wine home, when we had more than we can drink, :p wrapped in a towel, and never had a problem.

Aussie Frequent Floaters

2 litre 'chateau cardboard.' They fit nicely into the cabin fridge and do not break in transit.:')

What an excellent idea! I'd never have thought of that. Big thank you Uncle Les (y)

No worries, what we are here for, to help each other. Many of the 2 litre casks these days are bottle quality, e.g. Banrock Station, Hardys Stamp, De Bortoli. I have been to some of these wineries and seen them bottling/casking, same nectar. Good everyday quaffers

Above all, Enjoy thy vino and cruise. !!:halo:

;)

No worries, what we are here for, to help each other. Many of the 2 litre casks these days are bottle quality, e.g. Banrock Station, Hardys Stamp, De Bortoli. I have been to some of these wineries and seen them bottling/casking, same nectar. Good everyday quaffers

Above all, Enjoy thy vino and cruise. !!:halo:

Big fans of Hardy's R&R whether in the cask or bottle - same quality actually :cool: Oh and I've told you before, whether the bottles have the stamp or not, it's the same wine except one comes from Coles and the other from Woolies or Dan Murphy. Give it a go :)

;)

Big fans of Hardy's R&R whether in the cask or bottle - same quality actually :cool: Oh and I've told you before, whether the bottles have the stamp or not, it's the same wine except one comes from Coles and the other from Woolies or Dan Murphy. Give it a go :)

Indeed, I like the Hardys Stamp, but I presumed RR was one step down. Have to have another tasting..Sluuuuurp.;p

• 9 months later...

This is an old thread but we've recently flown and sailed into and out of Singapore a couple of times and I thought I'd add some recent experiences.

We landed late in Singapore and bought a bottle of wine in the airport duty free shop on the way to collect our luggage. At around $20 for a reasonable Australian quaffing red it was much cheaper than trying to shop around at night in Singapore. There was a limited choice in the cheaper range though.

The biggest surprise was the range of wines available in the supermarket in Bugis Mall. There was a much bigger variety of wine than we've seen previously including some really good Australian wines at prices similar to Sydney airport duty free. Many of the hotels we all stay in are close to Bugis which makes it an easy shop the morning of a cruise.

This is an old thread but we've recently flown and sailed into and out of Singapore a couple of times and I thought I'd add some recent experiences.

We landed late in Singapore and bought a bottle of wine in the airport duty free shop on the way to collect our luggage. At around $20 for a reasonable Australian quaffing red it was much cheaper than trying to shop around at night in Singapore. There was a limited choice in the cheaper range though.

The biggest surprise was the range of wines available in the supermarket in Bugis Mall. There was a much bigger variety of wine than we've seen previously including some really good Australian wines at prices similar to Sydney airport duty free. Many of the hotels we all stay in are close to Bugis which makes it an easy shop the morning of a cruise.

Thanks, I will be there in January so may need to visit the supermarket.

Thanks, I will be there in January so may need to visit the supermarket.

Mic, if you want a great local place for lunch go to Xin Yuan Ji in Tan Quee Lan street, which is just across North Bridge St from the Macdonalds exit of the Bugis Junction shopping mall. Simple Singaporean/Chinese cuisine. If you go for lunch aim to get there early, ie before 11:30am. We were taken there by a friend who lives in Singapore.

Mic, if you want a great local place for lunch go to Xin Yuan Ji in Tan Quee Lan street, which is just across North Bridge St from the Macdonalds exit of the Bugis Junction shopping mall. Simple Singaporean/Chinese cuisine. If you go for lunch aim to get there early, ie before 11:30am. We were taken there by a friend who lives in Singapore.

Cheers.