Is Cunard for us ?

petlover

My husband & I have 2.5 weeks planned in South Africa in early June 2018. I got the bright idea of possibly cruising from NYC (we have friends & family there) on a transatlantic to UK which would greatly decrease our flights from So. CA.

We have cruised a lot on various cruise lines including Princess, Disney, Seabourn, Silver Sea and Regent (more than 600 nights on Regent) I admit, we've been spoiled with the all inclusive (gratuities, liquor, excursions) and prefer smaller ships with the country club casual dress codes....but we have enjoyed all cruises we've taken.

I don't know anything about Cunard. Is it real formal ? What's included in the cruise fare? I'm wondering if it would be a good fit for us.

I have done a dozen crossings on Cunard. Rather than give you a lengthy explanation of many aspects I would suggest you peruse their Website at your leisure for a lot of details.

I will, however, mention two things. If you are used to Regent I recommend you book Queen's Grill on the Queen Mary 2. An in-suite bar set-up is complimentary, but any alcohol elsewhere on the ship will be charged. Drinks packages are available, mostly for a fee but occasionally there is a promotion. If you don't mind a smaller stateroom, no complimentary in-suite bar and no butler, Princess Grill is an excellent compromise.

Yes, Cunard is formal - by today's standards. The definition of "formal" has been watered down lately, so strictly speaking formal wear is not required. But a man requires a jacket (tie optional) on informal nights and at least a suit on the three formal nights on a crossing. From my experience 50 to 90% of men will wear a tuxedo. As you will see on the website the definition of formal for women is not as specific. Casual wear in the evenings is appropriate at the buffet.

Here are 101 suggestions of things to do on a crossing:

https://www.cunard.com/Documents/Brochures/101thingstodo.pdf

Please note that most passengers on Cunard do take their dress code quite seriously - formalwear applies to most of the ship, not just in the dining room. On our cruise to Norway there were even some ladies in evening gowns in the buffet (not required).

I was on Cunard since they are one of the few lines that allow 2 year olds in the kids club, and people seemed fairly tolerant of the fact that I was wearing a black dress that could only have been classified as a day dress (we had diapers, wipes, and many other items that needed to be schlepped from NY to London and I wasn't bringing a dress that needed to be dry cleaned). But I don't know how tolerant they'd be if you don't have small children or how out of place you'd feel (I felt a bit out of place, but since I figured getting a 2 year old to hike a glacier was enough of an accomplishment for one trip, I'd work on looking appropriate the next).

Most of the food was quite good, and they had nice music and flowers. I was primarily chasing kids, so I wouldn't be the best judge of the cruise experience itself, but it seemed a lot like Princess which we've enjoyed in the past. I'm guessing it won't be like the more expensive lines you've sailed, but if it saves money and you don't mind dressing up or staying in your cabin 2 nights it would probably be a good choice.

If I were going to cross the Atlantic, I'd book passage on an ocean liner - and currently there is only one: Queen Mary 2. That's something I haven't done yet, but it's on my bucket list.

From what I've read (and I read a lot), I would book a Britannia category sheltered balcony, mid-ships on decks 4 or 5. I'm sure the Grills are lovely, but on a trans-Atlantic, I'd be more interested in a smooth ride rather than the special menus and amenities offered in the Grills. Again, that's just my personal opinion.

Maybe you'll like Cunard, maybe not. Try Cunard once, and I suspect you'll be back.

Best wishes,

Salacia

P.S. We recently completed our 13th QM2 voyage. I've got itchy fingers to book the next one :-)

My husband & I have 2.5 weeks planned in South Africa in early June 2018. I got the bright idea of possibly cruising from NYC (we have friends & family there) on a transatlantic to UK which would greatly decrease our flights from So. CA.

We have cruised a lot on various cruise lines including Princess, Disney, Seabourn, Silver Sea and Regent (more than 600 nights on Regent) I admit, we've been spoiled with the all inclusive (gratuities, liquor, excursions) and prefer smaller ships with the country club casual dress codes....but we have enjoyed all cruises we've taken.

I don't know anything about Cunard. Is it real formal ? What's included in the cruise fare? I'm wondering if it would be a good fit for us.

Hi Petlover

I too have cruised with Regent, Seabourn, Princess, Celebrity and Cunard. Have been round the world on QE. I have also done the Atlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2. Personally I prefer a glass fronted balcony. I did have a sheltered balcony on the Atlantic Crossing and did not enjoy it. You cannot sit down and then see anything. I like to look out and see the sea even on a crossing.

Yes, it is more formal than Regent. I stopped cruising with Regent when they relaxed their dress codes. I still have many personal friends on Regent who are crew members. Even on a full Cunard ship it does't seem crowded.

Hello, and hopefully a welcome to Cunard.

I too have cruised with Regent, Silversea, Seabourn and am soon to give Princess try. I also have some 260 nights onboard Cunard.

While I'm not too sure of your possible flight arrangements vis-a-vis California/ South Africa and now possibly a New York/London diversion, I can offer you a little insight into life onboard Cunard.

In December I crossed the Atlantic on Queen Mary 2. Yes, it was westbound but I find very little difference in the life onboard in either direction.

Here is a well illustrated review I did of that crossing...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

31990567236_c15b214352_z.jpg

The real joy of flying London to South Africa is the lack of time difference.

Thank you all very much for your comments.

I think we need to save Cunard for another time. I was afraid that it might be on the formal side. We'll be staying at different safari camps and some transfers include flights in small planes (Fed Air). We have strict baggage weight requirements. There is no way we'd be able to take formal clothes, jacket & ties, dressy shoes etc. and meet the weight restrictions and we're not ones to eat dinner in our cabin.

At another time, I think we'd enjoy trying Cunard. Happy cruising to all !

Hi Petlover. Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, even though it sounds like you're rethinking a transatlantic.

If you don't care that you're not in a Princess or Grille Suite, I think packing would be manageable! We were going to Ireland last fall, and instead of flying to Europe, we decided to take the Queen Mary 2 Eastbound. It fulfilled one of our "bucket list" items, and we didn't have to deal with jet lag. We stayed in a sheltered balcony cabin on deck 5. Since we didn't want to pack formal wear, we ate at the buffet most nights. (On the nights we didn't eat in the dining room, we let our waiters and tablemates know that we wouldn't be there. And, we actually enjoyed the food at the buffet better than the dining room.)

Since we were going to be traveling around Ireland for a couple of weeks, we too wanted to keep luggage to a minimum. For evening, I did just fine with a pair of black dress pants with a couple of dressier tops that were lightweight and took up very little space in the suitcase. My husband wore a collared shirt and dockers when we went to the buffet, and believe me, there were times we saw very casual wear at dinner. (Again, at the buffet). However, once in a while we saw people in formal dress; perhaps they were dining at the buffet because they didn't like what the main dining room was serving that evening. Whatever, you CAN dress casually if eating at the buffet and no one will look twice. Note that if you are going to go to a show that evening, you would want to adhere to the dress code if it's a formal night; otherwise, smart casual (as on Regent) would be fine!

We have sailed on Regent (have another cruise on the Navigator coming up in October!:)) 4 times. The QM2 is huge. But it's refined, elegant, and fun at the same time. Unless you absolutely want to do the "formal" thing, you can definitely get by with smart casual.

We didn't feel that we missed out on an "experience" because we didn't pack formal wear. Some people love the QM2 because it gives them a chance to bring out the glitz and glamor, and I think that's wonderful. For people like us, the crossing gave us the chance to experience a wonderful and true ocean liner, and got us to Europe (for the first time in our lives) in style and in a relaxed, fun way, without the dreaded flying.

As a matter of fact, we are thinking about doing the same trip again next fall, and will probably pack even fewer clothes!

20 odd hours in the air or 11 odd hours and a TA, no brainier I would say. And if you don't want formal, we'll forget what you read here, it's not compulsory. Many would not agree but fine dining (which it isn't anyway) is a small part of a TA for many.

Nowadays it's not the only way to cross....but it's the only way.

David

20 odd hours in the air or 11 odd hours and a TA, no brainier I would say. And if you don't want formal, we'll forget what you read here, it's not compulsory. Many would not agree but fine dining (which it isn't anyway) is a small part of a TA for many.

Nowadays it's not the only way to cross....but it's the only way.

David

David, that's a good point. I've read several post by passengers who have a fine time without 'going formal'. Informal dress code isn't that difficult even with luggage limitations.

And quite right, it isn't fine dining in the MDR. Good show though :)

Salacia

Heya! I went on my first Cunard cruise last year and there were so many things that surprised me.. free room service for example!

Cunard is like nothing else. Here's the things I wish I knew before choosing Cunard (not sure that I would choose them again). Maybe... http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are several options for luggage storage you might consider. Federal Air has a secure luggage storage area at their facility at the Johannesburg airport. I have used it on many occasions. The luggage handlers will very much appreciate a tip when you reclaim it. Also, there is a luggage storage area between the domestic and international terminals at JNB. Thirdly, I haven't done this but I understand the port agent will store luggage if you are doing RT on the QMII. And lastly, hotel bell hops will store luggage for a reasonable time. So don't let the luggage issue stop your idea of crossing by ship. PS. I am planning to do this next year to see if it helps with the 12 hour time change I face when I go to Southern Africa. Not to mention 30 hours of flying!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was our experience when we went to South Africa in 2016. We took a TA out of Florida to Southampton, then had car transfer to Heathrow for flight to Cape Town. Coming back we had flight to Heathrow and car transfer to Southampton and spent a few days before taking Queen Mary 2 to NYC. If you have the time, and depending on QM2 schedule you could possibly cruise over and back.

These days anytime I can avoid a long flight I do so.

This was our experience when we went to South Africa in 2016. We took a TA out of Florida to Southampton, then had car transfer to Heathrow for flight to Cape Town. Coming back we had flight to Heathrow and car transfer to Southampton and spent a few days before taking Queen Mary 2 to NYC. If you have the time, and depending on QM2 schedule you could possibly cruise over and back.

These days anytime I can avoid a long flight I do so.

Just a note on formal.... Yes Cunard is formal and we are not.

We have our meals in the buffet and on the casual nights we sometimes go to the show, but never on formal nights. This works fine for us, I am vegetarian and buffets are usually a better choice for me.