Panama Canal on Regents Mariner in April 2018

Otto25

Definitely not! We have been sailing on Regent for 13 years (have tried two other cruise Iines) and there have always been negative (and positive) reviews. Some people think that the word "critic" in Cruise Critic means that you need to post everything that went wrong with your cruise. And, if you read the "Review" section of Cruise Critic, most of the posters have never posted here (meaning the Regent board) and may not have any idea what to expect. Unfortunately, when someone posts a review with 100% incorrect information, there is no way to dispute the review. Fortunately, this is not the case on this board.

To have the best experience on Regent, ask questions on the Regent board. As with any public board, you will receive a variety of answers. When there are multiple posts saying the same thing, I would believe them.

Welcome to the Regent board. There are lots of us here with a lot of experience to assist you!

We're booked on that cruise too. We read good and bad reports, but really only you'll be able to know if it was good or bad for you. Some of the bad reports may not be so bad--they just maybe didn't get what they wanted-could just be unhappy cruisers, nothing would please them. Most cruises we've been on-something always happens, but don't let it spoil your trip. If something does happen it can be fixed, just ask.

We're looking forward to this cruise, you should also!

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

We took a cruise LA to Miami on the Mariner many years ago (2005). it was the most interesting cruise we have ever taken and we are actually going to repeat it, this time on the Explorer, in 2019. I cannot say enough positive things about that cruise, from the ship to the ports to the lecturer etc. The transit was fabulous!

We took a cruise LA to Miami on the Mariner many years ago (2005). it was the most interesting cruise we have ever taken and we are actually going to repeat it, this time on the Explorer, in 2019. I cannot say enough positive things about that cruise, from the ship to the ports to the lecturer etc. The transit was fabulous!

That was our very first Regent cruise. We are now titanium so you can see how it impressed us.

Loved everything about that cruise, would love to do it again one day.

We just got off the Mariner last week and were impressed by the level of service and cuisine. We will be in your cruise next year and expect to enjoy the ship even more due to the itinerary and the fact that she will just be coming out of refurbishment and should be completely updated.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did Panama Canal (Miami to Lima) on Mariner several years ago, and it was outstanding. The Panama Canal was a highlight for me, but the ship was wonderful. We have been on again probably 6 times since then, and it is still wonderful.

Yes, hopefully it will be like a new ship for that cruise, we're looking forward to the cruise. We've done it before and enjoy it a lot. Some ports we won't get off, others we'll enjoy looking around.

Rick

Hi

We are booked on the LA - MIA - Explorer- March 2019 also. I just started a Roll Call for that sailing. Join us. We look forward to meeting you.

Regards

Sheila and Herb

Panama Canal on Mariner over Christmas & New Years a few years back was one of my favorite cruises! It seems that everyone on board was reading "The Path Between the Seas" you can't transit the canal without understanding how it came to be! Fascinating story.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the Panama Canal cruise is after refurbishment, many people will be quite surprised at how the Mariner will look (completing changing La Veranda, etc.). Regent is putting 50M into the ship. However, for those sailing before refurbishment, she is still a lovely ship and may be the perfect ship to sail through the Panama Canal.

OTTO, we were also on the SF to NYC canal cruise in Sept. I think you should just send me your tickets and I will check it out for you and I let you know if it is still as good as it was in Sept. Just here to help.

TW

We were on Mariner this past April. This was one of the cruises that took place after the dry dock was canceled. The ship looked beautiful you'd never guess that this ship was due for refurbishment. The service however did was not up to Regent standards. There were an abundance of Managers around in all venues. Service in Compass Rose, with new expanded menu was excellent. In La Veranda and in the bars it was appalling. One morning I asked for sugar free syrup instead and the server actually rolled his eyes. Coffee service was slow even after asking multiple times. In the Marina lounge one night the manager get was behind the bar making all the drinks and other staff was taking orders and passing that info to the manager. One night in the observation lounge it was so bad that my DH sought out the manager and asked what was going on. Within seconds we were surrounded by "concerned " staff. I do believe that a lot of the regular staff were reassigned during the expected dry dock. When that was canceled they scrounged up staff wherever the could around the fleet. Many of the these people did not act like Regent employees and I don't think they were. If I'd been on NCL I would no have been surprised.

We were on Mariner this past April. This was one of the cruises that took place after the dry dock was canceled. The ship looked beautiful you'd never guess that this ship was due for refurbishment. The service however did was not up to Regent standards.

We cruised on the Mariner in April and this was not our experience at all. We found the service levels to be just fine, as always. It just goes to show that one can be on the same ship at the same time and have quite a different experience.

I will say one thing in passing, and that is we happen to like the Mariner as is, and are not especially looking forward to it being refurbished, apparently to look more like the Explorer. I admit we have not sailed on the new ship, because we prefer the Mariner's Horizon View staterooms, but based on the descriptions and photos of the Explorer we have seen, it seems to be a bit gaudy and over the top for our simple tastes.

But to each their own!

iguy, glad you had a good experience in April. I know that our experience was an aberration. Noticed that you quoted only a part of my post could you tell me how to do that. I've been trying and haven't been able to figure it out. My computer skills leave a lot to be desired.

Irene

Hi, Irene.

If you click on the "quote" button on the message you wish to respond to, you should see something like this appear, for example:

iguy, glad you had a good experience in April. I know that our experience was an aberration. Noticed that you quoted only a part of my post could you tell me how to do that. I've been trying and haven't been able to figure it out. My computer skills leave a lot to be desired.

Irene

You can then use your cursor to highlight the exact portions of the text you wish to delete, and do so. Just make sure to leave the

and [/quote . . . ] instructions at the beginning and end of the passage you wish to quote.

I hope this helps, and happy cruising!

• 1 month later...

Just booked this cruise from Vancouver to Miami. We live in Southern Florida so great way to get home! We have been on one Regent cruise previously. It was on the Navigator from Miami through the Amazon and back to Miami. Did not like the ship--too much vibration and have only sailed on Seabourn recently (have 200 days). This itinerary fit the bill and we have booked. Have not been to Alaska in 25 years and the excursions looked great! Also wanted to see the new addition to the canal--have been through the canal 18 times going both ways as we used to teach bridge on cruise ships!;)

What I've truly enjoyed about CC is you can query others regarding less than favorable experiences onboard any ship, cruise line or itinerary and receive information or council how to avoid or resolve the issue. Other sites such as 'Yelp' allow / enable malcontents to offer low marks toward the cruise line while complaining about the taxi ride to/from the airport. There is only one place where you are guaranteed total satisfaction. Until you arrive there, Regent will seem like the best destination - this side of Heaven...

What I've truly enjoyed about CC is you can query others regarding less than favorable experiences onboard any ship, cruise line or itinerary and receive information or council how to avoid or resolve the issue. Other sites such as 'Yelp' allow / enable malcontents to offer low marks toward the cruise line while complaining about the taxi ride to/from the airport. There is only one place where you are guaranteed total satisfaction. Until you arrive there, Regent will seem like the best destination - this side of Heaven...

You are so right! I don't even read Yelp anymore but do read TripAdvisor because it gives both sides of the story and one can debate/disagree with posters (likely this is because TripAdvisor is either the sister or parent company of Cruise Critic).