guarantee cabin

matamanoa

I am waiting for a cabin assignment on an upcoming Feb. 2018 cruise. I was told that the cabin might only be assigned in the week leading up to the cruise. Would I stand a better chance of having a cabin assigned if my cruise were already paid for in full rather than waiting for the payment deadline?

Barb

I am waiting for a cabin assignment on an upcoming Feb. 2018 cruise. I was told that the cabin might only be assigned in the week leading up to the cruise. Would I stand a better chance of having a cabin assigned if my cruise were already paid for in full rather than waiting for the payment deadline?

Barb

Does not matter when the booking is paid for.........

A GTY......Usually can be/assigned sometime/anytime up to a day or 2 before your cruise. Very rarely assigned at the pier. If you are close to sailing day or enroute to the cruise and no cabin yet........you can access bag tags/travel summary on the Princess cruise personalizer on the Princess website up to sailing day. The cabin assignment will be noted there.

Sometimes people think it was assigned at the pier but had they checked the personalizer the night before their cruise they may have seen the cabin assignment at that time. Hope this makes sense.

If/when the cruise sells out does not mean they won't have a cabin for you. Princess keeps cabins behind the scenes. They have been doing this forever and have it down to a science. You will have a cabin.

You'll get a cabin in the category you booked or higher. It's important to understand that a higher category of cabin isn't necessarily a better cabin. It's just one that Princess thinks is better. We finally lost the guarantee lottery and received a dud of a cabin on our last Caribbean Princess cruise--P201. It's a tiny "ocean view" cabin, which we were "upgraded" to from our guarantee obstructed view. The cabin is so narrow that there's only one nightstand. We had the bed made as a queen, and there was no room on my side of the bed--pushed up against the wall. The ocean view is a recessed window, not much bigger than a port hole. It's so far recessed from the wall that we did not have much of a view. We still had a good time on the cruise, but I know several people who would have let the cabin conditions make them miserable the whole time.

You'll get a cabin in the category you booked or higher. It's important to understand that a higher category of cabin isn't necessarily a better cabin. It's just one that Princess thinks is better. We finally lost the guarantee lottery and received a dud of a cabin on our last Caribbean Princess cruise--P201. It's a tiny "ocean view" cabin, which we were "upgraded" to from our guarantee obstructed view. The cabin is so narrow that there's only one nightstand. We had the bed made as a queen, and there was no room on my side of the bed--pushed up against the wall. The ocean view is a recessed window, not much bigger than a port hole. It's so far recessed from the wall that we did not have much of a view. We still had a good time on the cruise, but I know several people who would have let the cabin conditions make them miserable the whole time.

I had that tiny cabin on my 50th cruise! And they kept delivering bouquets and canapes and all sorts, there was no room.

I have had a GTY assigned as soon as one hour after booking a cruise that was months in the future and as late as 24 hours before embarkation.

No way to know how the Princess computers determine when it is the best time to assign a GTY cabin.

We had originally booked ocean view obstructed for a back to back and then when we saw the substantial price drop, we rebooked and took balconies. We already have the cabin assigned for the first leg of the cruise and it is the guarantee we are waiting for in a BE category. So hopefully the cabin they assign us won't be in a bad area, like under the pool deck. Additionally, we are really keeping our fingers crossed that they will assign us one cabin for our two cruises so that we don't have to change cabins halfway through. Although for the amount of the price drop it would still be worth our trouble to pack up and change cabins. We're hoping that we get the cabin assignment before we leave for the first cruise.

Thanks to all who have answered.

Barb

Booking a guarantee cabin or staying on the upgrade list is like opening up a box of chocolates - "you never know what you are going to get". My advice is to book a cabin you will like and stay with it.

Sometimes the only cabin available is that box of chocolates (which is why we have a guaranteed cabin)

If/when the cruise sells out does not mean they won't have a cabin for you. Princess keeps cabins behind the scenes. They have been doing this forever and have it down to a science. You will have a cabin.

Not always, that's why we read about move over offers all the time.

Thanks to cc I have learned to enjoy guarantee roulette. Of five cruises booked all but two had rooms assigned within an hour of booking. My cruise in May upgraded from if to IB three weeks from cruise. For September my IF assigned cabin has not budged. For December my IF assigned cabin on lido deck has not budged. For February thanks to barb who posted about a sale I was able to upgrade from IB (three for free) to an MB for over $100 less which covered the loss of tips and OBC. Next May is the only cruise with an unassigned cabin so I take that as a good sign of good things to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not always, that's why we read about move over offers all the time.
People may volunteer to move over for an offer, but I haven't read of anyone booked on a Princess cruise being bumped involuntarily. Princess will keep sweetening the deal to free up a cabin until someone finally takes it.

People may volunteer to move over for an offer, but I haven't read of anyone booked on a Princess cruise being bumped involuntarily. Princess will keep sweetening the deal to free up a cabin until someone finally takes it.

Volunteering does no good.

But if Princess makes an offer you do not have to accept it.