Solo traveler

Tootsiepop6

Have any of you sailed as a solo traveler? I'm pondering the New England trip on Gem in October but that trip doesn't have the studio cabins. Is it super weird to sail solo?

I've been on 31 cruises and on 90% of the cruises I've traveled solo. I've been on three NCL cruises and have two more booked, and they are all solo cruises. I don't like having to pay for two people, but other than that I have enjoyed every cruise. There is a lot of freedom since you don't have to coordinate with any one else. I have shared tables and joined in the conversation with others, and I have enjoyed meals by myself. I can do whatever excursion I want to do and on excursions that I am repeating I am able to do things I want to do separate from the group and then join the group.

There is nothing "weird" about traveling solo.

I now prefer to cruise solo. If I have to cruise with another person I will become grumpy. I have several cruises booked and 2 are with a relative and I'm getting grumpy just thinking about it.

I love the freedom of doing what I want, whenever I want and not having to compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've traveled solo 11 times since March 2016, with NCL taking advantage of their no single supplement price dumps. :)

Just back a week from the last trip, but summer is skimpy with these deals. So do more land touring.

Would you book a guarantee inside or book an inside mid ship?

Its essentially the same room. Depends on the price and the promotions/inclusions available on that room (which also vary depending on which NCL office you are booking with), and your usage of those promotions e.g. if UBP is unavailable on the guarantee and you like a drink or five, go with the inside if its not more than a few hundred more.

Have any of you sailed as a solo traveler? I'm pondering the New England trip on Gem in October but that trip doesn't have the studio cabins. Is it super weird to sail solo?

Not at all weird. Lots of people, both single and relationshipped sail solo. I've done it on Jade, Spirit and Star, none of which have studios.

You need to make an effort to meet and speak with like minded people, unless you like your own company. e.g. shout out for other solos on your roll call and arrange to meet for drinks on the first evening, and maybe go on to dinner.

Also NCL have a solos meetup maybe 6pm every evening in one of the bars. That is "a broad church" lets say......ranging from 20somethings wanting to get boozed up and get laid, to 80somethings wanting company and conversation. Chat with as many people as you can on the first evening, you will probably gravitate to the kind of people you would enjoy spending the rest of the evening with. NCL will often have an official solos table in the restaurant, you may want to swerve that with the people you are getting on with.

Have a search for lara_lox 's "solo fashionista" trip reviews, she sailed as a solo on a number of ships and will give you a great feel for what its like on board as a solo.

Regarding booking as a solo, since you mentioned inside guarantee I would keep an eye on the prices & availability before booking. I have seen close to sailing that the prices come down and you can sometimes get a balcony for very little more than an inside or studio and sometimes they drop the solo supplement prior to cruise. I'm watching a cruise right now where inside is $100 less per person than a balcony so $200 for a solo.