Mariner Review – April 2-12 Barcelona – Istanbul

tallship

All in all, this was a very good cruise. We had done several of the ports on prior trips but it was great going back. This was a full sailing and there seemed to be many first-timers onboard. Also, there were about 40 kids of various ages and a significantly more international clientele. Loved this. The kids were very well behaved and it was a joy to meet and interact with them on excursions or at teatime. Also noticeable (with minor exceptions) was the upbeat mood of the staff throughout the voyage. This really sets the tone.

Suite/Amenities – We were on Deck 10. Our cabin steward was named Gusti and I have to say that he was really wonderful. He didn’t miss a beat and almost knew what we needed in advance. Our cabin had a new Illy Coffee Machine installed in the room the first day. Unfortunately I did not get to use it but I heard from others that it is very good. Also in the room were binoculars for our use. Being on Deck 10 we heard the movement of furniture on the pool deck above a fair bit (5 am one day) so likely not a good location for light sleepers.

Food – We ate in Compass Rose most of the time for dinner and La Veranda for lunch. We had breakfast in the room or in La Veranda most mornings. Food was well prepared in both venues. Meals were served efficiently and we loved seeing many of the staff in both dining rooms that we have come to know on our last few sailings. In fact, many were still on from our December trip so it was fun to catch up. Chimi Balla, the ship’s Restaurant Manager seems to have boundless energy and keeps a sharp eye on everything. We had a wonderful special order Indian meal one evening and I have to say that this was the very best Special Order meals I have had on any Regent cruise.

Ports/Excursions –

Barcelona – We made our own pre-cruise arrangements and stayed at one of my favorite hotels – 1898. Decorated in old Colonial style, you feel as though you have entered an old Plantation when you walk into the lobby. The best part about Hotel 1898 is the Rooftop Terrace. Comfy loungers, great service and a killer view. We had the tasting menu in the Dining Room that evening and after a Champagne Breakfast the next morning we were ready for the Mariner.

Monte Carlo – We went to Saint Paul de Vence. Having been there before, we used the time to walk around on our own and joined up with the bus at the end. The quality of the shops seems to have deteriorated since we were here a few years back. Lots of souvenir shops (keychains, postcards, etc.). The tour guide on our bus was fantastic giving folks lots of ideas about how to spend the rest of their time in Monte Carlo.

Livorno – We took the full day tour to Siena and San Gimignano. I would not do this tour again and would make arrangements with a Private Driver for the day in this port. The bus ride each way was 2.5 hours and we had a guide on the bus whose command of English was fleeting and incomprehensible a lot of the time. By the end of the day, it was annoying and many of us wondered why we had paid the upcharge for this tour that delivered little in the way of information, comfort and enjoyment. The tour in Siena itself was informative as the Bus Guide was now partnered with a local expert. This is not a tour for folks with mobility issues. There is a lot of uphill (very steep) walking and our guide walked very fast. On two occasions she was asked to slow down by members of our group. Once she responded that these gentlemen should not have come and the second time she simply ignored them. I think that a Regent rep should have been on the tour with us to evaluate the quality as the complaints a couple of us made post-tour fell on deaf ears. San Gimignano was nice but the local tour guide not as good as the one in Siena.

Civitavecchia – We made the decision not to go into Rome and on the advice of the Destinations staff we did the Etruscan Countryside and Visit to a Farm (Colors and Aroma of the Etruscans). This was a terrific tour and we really enjoyed our day. The Necropolis site was interesting. Great Etruscan artifacts and jewelry in the Museum. Nice wine and food served at the brief stop at an AgriTourism Farm. We came back to the ship and took a walk in the Port town. Nice place to do some quick shopping (shoes, bags, jewelry).

Sorrento – We did the Amalfi drive tour which does stops at a Ceramics factory, the town of Amalfi and a restaurant for lunch. This was a nice tour with a terrific lunch and we met some great people on the bus rides.

Taormina – We did Taormina “On Your Own.” Love this port and it has great shopping. Farana is a lovely family run store to purchase Ceramics and they ship your purchases to you. Bam bar is a great spot to enjoy a Granita and be sure to purchase some Pistachio pesto from any of the really wonderful food shops in town.

Kusadasi – We arrived early into this port given that we missed Santorini. From the moment you depart the ship you are hit with the chants of carpet sellers, jewelry merchants and purveyors of “genuine fake” watches, luggage and purses. While good deals are likely to be had I didn’t really buy anything. There is a Starbucks with free internet in the Port Terminal as well as a cash machine. On the second day we did our tour of Ephesus and the Terrace Houses. Fabulous tour and we really enjoyed ourselves. Note that the Terrace Houses portion of the tour is tough for anyone with mobility issues. My mom was doing well that day and I noted how quickly she made her way up and down the multiple sets of staircases inside. However, she and I both had some trouble climbing down the steep passageway at the end of the tour. The terrain is quite uneven and one of the passengers took a fall here. As we made our way back to the bus we noted that you could purchase vials of holy water blessed by the Virgin Mary. I wondered how many sales they have each day?

Istanbul – What can I say about Istanbul? The cruise into the port was amazing. Regent had an event with Baklava and cocktails for their Gold, Platinum and Titanium cruisers. Very nicely done. While the visit to the Palace and Blue Mosque was interesting, the Grand Bazaar was the highlight of my day. Unfortunately we only had 30 minutes there but the sounds, smells and colors were mesmerizing. I would go back to Istanbul in a minute.

Excursion Process: I must say I really like the front-line Destinations Team. They are pretty terrific. We had a full sailing and they managed the process every morning really well. Only disappointment was the Destinations Manager who responded to a complaint about the quality of a poor excursion with a form letter and comments that had little or nothing to do with my concerns. I wrote back to her a second time but heard nothing. Unfortunate because the rest of her team is very, very good.

Staff – What makes Regent special is the quality and attitude of their staff and the fellow cruisers you meet. The Regent staff take pride in what they do and demonstrate genuine care for their passengers. Many of the crew showed such kindness to my mom and I am always in their debt for making a contribution to her(our) happiness. This is the reason why we keep coming back and it is the secret sauce in the Regent Experience.

Notable staff and I apologize if the spelling of names is incorrect…Gusti from Housekeeping; John in the Horizons Bar; Chimi Balla – Restaurant Manager; Mara in La V; David in the CR Dining Room; The early Morning Carrot Juice Maker at the Pool Bar; the staff of Coffee Corner; Alex in the Computer Room; Ron at Reception, the Boutique staff, Dimitri in the Spa; Carmen – the very lovely and competent Executive Concierge who we met on our very first cruise with Regent in 2006, Nicola (Social Host) and Aaron (dancer), and Florinda and her front line colleagues from Destinations and finally, their very hands on and capable GM, Davor. There are many more….Thank you all for giving us a superb cruise experience.

So cruise melancholy (the frame of mind that sets in as a cruise is ending and continues for several days afterwards) is waning and we are so looking forward to our upcoming cruises on Regent later this year.

Dear Tallship,

Lovely review. We were also on this sailing for our first Regent cruise, and had such a brilliant experience that I can't wait to sail again, probably next year in the Carribean. I would totally agree with your comments about some of the tour staff and their command of English, when you have a poor speaker droning on for 8 hours non stop, it can get a bit waring!! The backlava and cocktails event sounds lovely, dont think I will make it up to that level ever though - but I suppose you have to start somewhere. I have been looking at other cruise lines, nut now I have been on a Regent cruise, I dont think there will be any match for luxury with value for money. I know what you mean about post-cruise melancholy. Perhaps the only way around it is to have a cruise booked before you leave, then there is always something to look forward to.

Really enjoyed reading your review -- thank you for taking the time to post it. There is one comment you made (probably the best that I have read on these boards) that bears repeating:

"The Regent staff take pride in what they do and demonstrate genuine care for their passengers. Many of the crew showed such kindness to my mom and I am always in their debt for making a contribution to her(our) happiness. This is the reason why we keep coming back and it is the secret sauce in the Regent Experience."

Thanks so much for your thoughtfully detailed and still- succinct report. (Wish I could learn the "succinct" trick.)

Like you, we've been to St Paul de Vence before, so will be looking to find new delights in that handsome town. (We'll be doing the excursion from Cannes.) We much enjoyed the fine museum there, but unless the weather is poor, we'd prefer to do just outside things this time. We have no interest in shopping. Did you find something different to do this time?

Do you happen to know whether folks who took a tour out from Taormina enjoyed it? I love the town, but feel that I know it fairly well from our last visit.

Again-- many thanks.

Only cure for post cruise melancholy--book another cruise!!

Poss, George and I just enjoyed walking around in St. Paul de Vence. Only thing we bought were some really tiny Provence olives which were delicious. They didn't look like much, but they packed a lot of flavor. Then we found a cafe with outdoor seating, ordered a couple of glasses of wine and ate our olives.

We spent a week in Taormina a couple of years ago on a land trip. Then my son and I were back on Mariner this past year. Since he hadn't been there before, we did the walking tour of the town, then hiked up to the Saracen fortress that is high above the town (which was locked up tight), ate lunch in town, walked through the gardens, and took a hair raising taxi ride back to the port.

If you want something different, the Godfather tour is probably pretty good or the winery tour. We did both these on the land trip (obviously not with Regent, but to the same places). If you love winding narrow roads and being cold, you can go up Mt Etna. Not really my thing, but my husband liked it.

Great review, Tina. And I so agree with all your comments. We have specially good memories of Chimi whom we befriended on our first Regent cruise to Alaska in 2006 when he was a waiter. His rise has been meteoric and well deserved.

Thanks so much for your thoughtfully detailed and still- succinct report. (Wish I could learn the "succinct" trick.)

Like you, we've been to St Paul de Vence before, so will be looking to find new delights in that handsome town. (We'll be doing the excursion from Cannes.) We much enjoyed the fine museum there, but unless the weather is poor, we'd prefer to do just outside things this time. We have no interest in shopping. Did you find something different to do this time?

Marc Chagall is entombed in a small cemetery at the edge of St. Paul de Vence. The site enables a nice view of valley below. Chagall lived almost 100 years! Chagall and Mattisse museums are near Nice. Mattisse and wife are buried at a monastery in the area.

Rick Steves tour book gives easy directions to both museums from Nice by public bus.

Rachel and TedC-- thanks for responding.

For Taormina, that's exactly what I was thinking: either godfather or wine tour. We're not especially interested in seeing things related to the movie, nor do we want to visit a winery (have done enough of that kind of thing). So what I'm wondering is which of the two would offer the most interesting scenery, the handsomest towns, etc. And if we do the winery tour, I'm very much hoping that we would be permitted just to hang out somewhere outside-- but I don't know if that's considered impolite. We may actually decide just to do Taormina again-- We loved the amphitheater for instance, and those gardens were pleasant.

Ted: I don't think I knew that Chagall was entombed in St Paul de Vence (or I knew and have forgotten: happens plenty these days). I absolutely flipped over the Chagall museum in Nice-- couldn't tear myself away from that place. Not as interested in Matisse as I am in Chagall, though we'll probably visit the Matisse museum during our 3-day post-cruise in Nice this August. (Rachel-- I've got the name of the restaurant you're fond of there.)

Thanks both-- and again to tallship.

The winery tour would not involve any towns, but the towns in the godfather tour are really quite interesting. I think you would be able to wander on your own as well, if you wanted.

Don't miss the restaurant in Nice, Poss. It really is special.

For Taormina, that's exactly what I was thinking: either godfather or wine tour. We're not especially interested in seeing things related to the movie, nor do we want to visit a winery (have done enough of that kind of thing). So what I'm wondering is which of the two would offer the most interesting scenery, the handsomest towns, etc. And if we do the winery tour, I'm very much hoping that we would be permitted just to hang out somewhere outside-- but I don't know if that's considered impolite.
The antipasti spread served at the winery alone is worth the trip. Terrific, soft almond cookies at the pasticceria/gelato place at the village stop along the way.

Kudos from your fellow cruiser, Tina--you hit right note after right note in your thoughtfully written, informative review. I especially liked how you described the "secret sauce" that has many of us booking Regent again and again.

So glad to have met and gotten to know you and your mom! Looking forward to staying in touch, and hopefully one day cruising together again.

Rich

P.S. Count me as another Chimi booster. We've been fortunate to have him for at least a portion of each of our four Regent cruises, and I enjoy his upbeat, energetic style very much while admiring his work ethic.

We have just come off the following cruise from you (our first Regent cruise) and have to say, we loved it.

As a veteran of about 25plus cruises, we found the Regent staff, the most friendly, helpful ever.

We have 2 criticisms, whilst we thought the singers and dancers very good, it would have been nice to have some variation with perhaps some guest entertainers.

The other issue (and whilst not directly of Regent's making, still their responsibility) was when we boarded in Istanbul, we put our hand luggage through the X-ray machine, there was no one actually monitoring the machine! Perhaps he had just nipped to the toilet, but in this day and age, we found this unacceptable!

We have 2 criticisms, whilst we thought the singers and dancers very good, it would have been nice to have some variation with perhaps some guest entertainers.

Right. In 25 nights on Mariner from Fort Lauderdale to Istanbul, we had something like ten nights of over-the-hill male singers, including three of the cruise director (which is two too many). And the one female singer was past her prime, too. Another two nights had no main tent entertainment at all. The Jean Ann Ryan troop (eight appearances in the 25 nights!), on the other hand, was terrific.

I was sold on Nature Rhythm the first deck lunch they played (during the TA), when they performed "409," which has to be one of the Beach Boys' most obscure hits (I grew up a BB fan in L.A.). Ginny and I dug their vast repertoire, as well as their vocal and instrumental chops. Plus they've got great personalities.

Most shipboard musicians are hired via agencies, with Nature Rhythm being a rare exception. The lads were playing their standing gig at the Hyatt in Manila, where they were discovered by Regent executives. A week later they had an offer from Regent to play their way around the world.

TheyvegotNatureRhythm.jpg

OK, I am giving my review as well on this thread, hope my friend Tallship doesn't mind ;)

I was on this cruise as well, and echo everything Tallship has said. As well, my adult daughters and husbands really enjoyed Nature's Rhythm Trio, and they came after dinner to Horizon's several times. I did not make it to one show, not even on the Cirque night.

Of course, after so many cruises with Regent, I am always so afraid it could never be as good as the last one, but it always is. (this was my 30th with Regent) It was a pleasure to have lunch and dinner with Tallship and her lovely mom, as we have cruised together before on a TA where you really get to know your fellow cruisers a bit more. I just love them. The night we had dinner together, I also got to meet Mr. Rumour, albeit briefly in Horizons before dinner and enjoyed that, too! Somehow I never made it to Observation Lounge to search out Nana541 at 6 p.m. when she said she is there before dinner. We were lucky to make it to dinner before 8:30 most nights!

I had the pleasure of having dinner with the Captain one night, and he is just as charming as ever. It was funny, we were with one other couple and Nicola, Socal Hostess (it was a Rome or Florence night, not a big table) and the other couple and I were reminiscing about the Diamond, and how slow she was. Sometimes you felt like you were going nowhere when heading into the seas. Felice got on his phone and called the staff captain (former Diamond officer) and asked how fast the ship went......13 knots. He said can you imagine this ship only going 15 mph at full speed?

The best thing about this cruise for me was the service, service, service. Food was very good, but there were a few misses with entrees, never anything else. This time I never made it to the alternate restaurants. Wanted my girls to have date nights in there with their spouses, and never managed to get a table for a second night for the 5 of us. Not a problem for me, I am not a food nut, and there's always another cruise.

One night after dinner, I was on the outer edge of the coffee corner picking up emails briefly, and I heard this singing coming from Stars Lounge. I just knew that voice....and can't say that it was on key. Walked down there, and there were my younger daughter and hubby up there singing away at Kareoke and adding dancing drama to their routine! Almost died laughing, but bless the audience, they were clapping. Nicola is absolutely my favorite Social Hostess of all the ships, and she was a trooper trying to get people up on stage on this port intensive cruise where there is not much night life.

Both my girls (30 & 34) and their husbands had a wonderful vacation, and loved visiting many ports for the first time. They were out on excursions every single port. Only downside, a big disappointment, was missing Santorini because the port closed b/c of winds and surge. One of my SIL's was a first time cruiser, and he had been prepped for how wonderful the ship was, but it was the service that just blew him away.

We had quite an international group on this cruise. There was a huge family group on from Spain, so many of them that the Captain would make his announcements at noon in both languages, that was a first for me.

I am not one of those who is bothered by children onboard at all. Have never found them to be other than another pleasant turn from the normal passenger mix. And I am a doting grandma. We had 40, but I almost never saw any of the little ones except at dinner! There seemed to be a lot of young teens. A couple of nights, we were right next to a big family table with 4 little girls, oldest had to be no more than 10-12, and youngest about 4. I have never seen children so well behaved, ever. Little Princesses, every one of them. If I brought my 4 little monsters aboard at that age we would have likely been asked to leave the ship.

Another highlight of the trip was coming in 2 nights early to Barcelona. (Great rates for Le Meridien booked through Priceline) We did the HOHO bus one day (I think cabs would have been less expensive and quicker) and did some of the stops. It was crowded, crowded on Palm Sunday, and La Sagrada Familia interior was closed for services. A lady on the bus told us to get online that night at our hotel and buy tickets in advance for the next day. What a tip! We did so, and sailed past long lines the next morning before we left to board the ship. What a magnificent cathedral, it was truly one of the big highlights for all of us. But would never have made it in if we had not booked online. Those lines were LONG, and I have no patience.

After the cruise, we were Istanbul for 2 additional nights, and SO glad we did this, first visit for everyone. Reserved a boutique hotel I heard about on Trip Advisor (Amira), and the staff could not have been better at the Ciragan Palace. The manager personally sat down with us after check in at the breakfast room over coffee, and I knew I wanted a private local guide for the high spots. He got on the phone and arranged this for 4 hours in the afternoon, and suggested in the meantime we take in the Cisterns on our own and booked tables for us at local restaurants, one for seafood, the other for traditional Turkish food, we loved them both. All the main sights were in walking distance, and since the guide already had the tickets, we saved hours waiting in lines. This must be a peak week for them.

Like Tallship, the Grand Bazaar was the highlight for me! Those shopkeepers are tough. Not agressively chasing you down the walkways like I thought, but you really have to negotiate with them, as their prices start out so high. I made some good buys on small stuff. As much as I would love to buy a rug, I'm just not savvy enough to deal with them to know the worth of one from the other. It was a lot of fun.

I do hate coming home, and want to be there as soon as I get in the taxi to the airport. From Istanbul, I was on award tickets and did not want to leave at 0 dark 10 in the morning. So I had to overnight in Paris at CDG. I hate that airport when I have to go from one Terminal to another. I lucked out on Priceline to get the Sheraton or whatever hotel is right in Terminal 2 over the Rail Station at about 1/4 of the rack rate if booked online. Same Terminal as I was leaving from the next morning. You sit in your room and look out the window at planes taking off and landing, and don't hear a thing, and the staff was most helpful guiding me to my gate the next morning. Lines were long for check in, passport control, etc, but fortunately I scored biz award tickets, and there was one whole area just for priority everything. It was a breeze, once I saw what others were going through. But walk you will, if you even pass through this airport.

What a great cruise. I'm hoping all will be the same when I board again in Monte Carlo in November.

jhp - we are so very fond of you as well and especially enjoyed our time together and the chat we had together late in the night before our departure.

We are going to Alaska soon and considering another one late summer. Both on NAV so I hope the magic carries over.

newlondon, good to meet another Beach Boy fan. Originally, 409 was a local hit, flopping nationally (it spent only one week on the Hot 100, at #76, according to a Billboard chart book I have). But this cool little ditty has certainly gained a lot of fans over the years due to its inclusion on myriad "Best of" albums. So in that sense it is certainly not obscure! Hope you'll get to hear the Nature Rhythm Trio's version one day.

By the way, the Boys, featuring the three living original members--Brian Wilson, Mike Love and David Marks--have reunited for a three-month 50th anniversary tour that begins Tuesday in Tucson!

Tina and jhp - I only just read this thread and thank you both for the very informative reviews. It made me wish that Ken and I had stayed on board for your cruise!!

And Tina - you are SO right about the staff being the most important ingredient in the Regent mix! They are wonderful.

Hope you all got home safely and that we can meet up on a future cruise!! We missed you at Trivia on the TA!!

Gerry

Archived