Need a new hip and cruising

So we are supposed to cruise tomorrow. But two days ago my doctor told me I needed a hip replacement- I am 40. And I am freaked out. I can't cancel the cruise. I am going... And that is that. But should I limit everything and just stay in our state room? Is it ok to at least go relax by the pool? Can I get off the ship at castaway key? I can't walk far- probably 25 meters is it. Any help most appreciated.

First, sorry to hear you need a hip replacement!

As for the cruise, I would say do what you feel comfortable doing. Pace yourself and enjoy. Even if you are limited, you can certainly enjoy relaxing on a beautiful ship. Just make sure to adhere to any advice your doctor gave you.

I cruised a few months prior to my spinal fusion and I just monitored myself -if my pain was terrible I rested. I didn't push myself but certainly enjoyed being away.

Enjoy your cruise and hope your hip replacement goes well!!!

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

So sorry to hear about your coming hip replacement. I understand from friends who have had one that they wish they'd done it MUCH earlier!

I, too, an heading towards a hip replacement (probably two of them), and love cruising! You may want to take a cane if you don't have one...the floors may be flat, but the ship does sway and I find the cane helps, as does Ibuprofen. I also have a rollator - a jazzy purple European style one with a seat which is very helpful when I'm off the ship. I wasn't fond of using them either, but they help. And I get on the ship a little earlier since I'm considered disabled!

I keep track of how I feel, know when to say "No - you guys go have fun. I'll stay here." and choose my excursions wisely. There are always excursions that are mostly on busses or trolleys with very little walking.

Have a great time on your cruise and enjoy!

Your hip is the same as it was the day before you were told you need it replaced. Do whatever you had planned before the doctor visit. EM

Exactly. My wife had a meniscus surgery and was advised that she needed a knee replacement. Not as serious as a hip replacement but...

She worried about whether we should cancel a planned cruise. Her doctor said about the same thing; go on the cruise and don't do anything foolish. His suggestion was that she get a cane or a walker if walking became painful. Otherwise he said go on the cruise and have a great time. Doctor's orders.

first thing this morning you could call the cruise line and request wheelchair assistance with boarding & disembarking. At the same time you could ask them which vendor they use for rental medical equipment. You could then call that vendor to see if they could possibly deliver a scooter for you to rent for the week. Even if they cannot deliver on such short notice you could ask if you can pick one up from them today. Tell them which ship you will be on & they will be familiar with the width of the door opening into your room. The scooter you rent will need to be narrow enough to ride it into the room because you cannot leave them in the hallway. One of the scooters they seem to rent frequently is the gogo which fits through many of the doorways and if it doesn't fit it can be taken apart fairly easily to place it in the room or in the trunk of a vehicle. Your weight would also determine whether you could use a small scooter like the gogo. A scooter would allow you to enjoy your vacation and help you keep from increasing your pain.

First, so sorry about your hip. That must be very stressful. Evan more reason to going on your cruise, relax and really enjoy it!

Second, if you don't have a cane, walker or other walking assistant device get one!

A electric wheelchair or scooter would be the best if you can rent one for your cruise. It will reduce the amount of movement and weight being put on the join. This will also reduce your discomfort or pain; so you will have a better time on vacation.

Third, call your cruise ship coordinator to help you make the necessary accommodation changes to your booking.

Forth, but most importantly.

[emoji568]Have A Great Cruise!![emoji907]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ok- but can I ask one thing? Of course since it was a Disney cruise there were lots of kids and parents. But it really seemed like folks went out of their way to step on my walking stick. It felt like kiddo's parents felt like an old lady with a stick shouldn't be on their cruise. It turned out ok. About a dozen kids with life sabers hit my hubby getting on the ship. I re acted. Sorry if that was your nasty ass brat.

Ok- but can I ask one thing? Of course since it was a Disney cruise there were lots of kids and parents. But it really seemed like folks went out of their way to step on my walking stick. It felt like kiddo's parents felt like an old lady with a stick shouldn't be on their cruise. It turned out ok. About a dozen kids with life sabers hit my hubby getting on the ship. I re acted. Sorry if that was your nasty ass brat.

Don't be. YOU'RE not the one who should be sorry. ;)

You've had good suggestions here. I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise.

I've had two knee replacements and, from my experience, a walking stick is good for fending off rushing kids and adults (and dogs). I used mine as a sort of early-warning system. While not actually using it as a weapon, you can make sure that they bump your stick before they bump you (and if they happen trip, well they should have been more considerate!)

I've had two knee replacements and, from my experience, a walking stick is good for fending off rushing kids and adults (and dogs). I used mine as a sort of early-warning system. While not actually using it as a weapon, you can make sure that they bump your stick before they bump you (and if they happen trip, well they should have been more considerate!)

You are cracking me up:-). I - of course- did not want to trip anyone. But I knew if they ran into me that hard it would really hurt me. It was a fine cruise. I go for my final MRI tomorrow. On a shallow level- I wonder how soon they can do the surgery and how fast I can recover because we have an Alaska cruise booked for August.

On a deeper level, I am completely freaking out. I don't know if I can handle general anasthesia again. I am really afraid I am not going to wake back up. But I suppose that is a topic best discussed with my priest and psychiatrist:-)

I am 6 weeks out from knee replacement and have heard numerous times how much harder it is than the hip...you are young so the rest of you is likely in better shape which will really help for recovery....I need both replaced so am struggling with the aftetmath....get that scooter booked for alaska....my mom did it in a wheelchair and had a great time.....a lot to see in the little towns .....using the scooter on board can preserve your energy for the ports....I used to be terrified of going under but after a year of it being necessary numerous times I don't think twice about it....the advances in administering and managing continue ......hope you can get a date for your surgery really soon and keep that alaska trip....good luck and have fun!

My husband had his second hip replaced in late August last year and was driving in 10 days. The only thing he still needed in January for an Australia-New Zealand cruise was a long shoe horn. His first hip was done in March of 2012 and by June he was back to walking 2 miles twice a day at the dog park. The average person of your age shi,would be out of the hospital in 3 days and home with a visiting RN to check the incision a few times and a physical therapist for 3 visits a week for 2 or 3 weeks. Other insurance may pay for a week at a rehab step down unit or nursing home that specializes in orthopedics. Other than coming out from anesthesia and his first words all had 4 letters so the RN came running with the pain medication he said he had less pain within 2 days than he had had in 2 years. So don't cancel that Alaska cruise! :)

If you are worried about general anaesthesia think about a spinal anaesthetic

My husband had both hips replaced[resurfaced to be precise] in his 40's under spinal

He was given a sedative so actually slept through his surgery[the surgery team can back me up he snores!]

It meant his pain relief could be continued through the cannula until removed the next morning when it was up on his feet for start of rehabilitation!

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for the insight! The hip replacement actually went well. At 3.5 weeks post op I am walking without even a cane or anywhere near the pain I had. I really give huge props to knee replacement folks. I do not know how they are so strong! I now have a pink cane instead of a walking stick. And post surgery people are a lot nicer about clearing the way for me. So the cruise was great, the surgery went well, and I am already looking forward to the next cruise!

If you are worried about general anaesthesia think about a spinal anaesthetic

My husband had both hips replaced[resurfaced to be precise] in his 40's under spinal

He was given a sedative so actually slept through his surgery[the surgery team can back me up he snores!]

It meant his pain relief could be continued through the cannula until removed the next morning when it was up on his feet for start of rehabilitation!

I appreciate your telling us this! I'm sliding down to at least one hip replacement, if not both, and it's the general anesthesia that worries me. Now I know to ask about a spinal during my ortho consult. Thank you!

Thank you all so much for the support! The cruise was terrific - I just had to adjust a bit. I am really afraid about the surgery but I suppose I should find a different blog that. Thank you so much for the advice- it helped a ton!

I got a new knee a year ago and couldnt be happier. Try bonesmart.org. Lots of sound medical advice as well as as people's experiences and advice.

I did the same! I was nervous in crowds for a while, so carried my cane far longer than I needed it for support.