Scenic Cruises

poinsettiaplate

Has anyone been on a Scenic Cruises river cruise? They got bad reviews in 2013 and good ones in 2012, but nothing for 2014.

There have been some reports of Scenic river cruises this year, mostly positive, try the search funciton.. I think there's a fairly new review in the Review section. Going on my first river cruise on Scenic Jade in Sept.

Edited by AZCruiserguy

We were on Scenic on the Danube last year immediately after the June floods. We were on a different boat than expected (Diamond rather than Jewel), but that was not a problem. Scenic gave us a very fair cost adjustment for the slight downgrade in ship, as the newer Jewel offered some upgraded amenities from Diamond.

I've seen a review or two where people have complained about the staff, but the staff on our sailing was top notch. The cruise director (probably not his correct title) was outstanding - knowledgeable, helpful, good natured, thoughtful.

This was our first river cruise after many ocean cruises, and we loved the fact that it was truly all-inclusive. We didn't spend anything on the ship.

Scenic gets a strong two-thumbs up from us!

I DID post a review under this thread(do search here)and also read under member reviews.Went last month and LOVED it.

Do a little research here on CC and will find a few new ones.This is a new company to the US.so not as many have been on it to post.

To summarize,out of all the major river cruises,this was my FAVORITE and will be taking another next yr.Everything is inc.and top of the line.

Any questions after reading all the info,please ask.;)

Has anyone been on a Scenic Cruises river cruise? They got bad reviews in 2013 and good ones in 2012, but nothing for 2014.

This issue comes up repeatedly, so I decided to go back over the reviews posted on Cruise Critic. There was a total of 20 reviews of Scenic cruises in 2013. Fourteen of them were very positive (five 5+ stars, five 5 stars, four 4 stars). Five of the six negative reviews were about cruises during the summer floods, and the complaints all centered around Scenic's decision to continue the trip rather than canceling (or better, offering customers the choice). Other aspects of the operation were uniformly praised, even in the negative reviews. There was one negative review from November 2013 (not affected by flooding) which seems to be an aberration. There are four reviews from 2014 and all are very positive (one 5+ stars, one 5 stars, two 4 stars).

This is similar to the situation with Viking. During last summer's flooding most other cruise lines either canceled or offered customers a choice to cancel, but Viking and Scenic turned their cruises into bus trips and did not give the customers an out.

I have not seen any announcement by either company that they have changed this approach, so if you book with either you should understand that you will be going on this trip even if conditions force major changes.

On the other hand, if weather or mechanical breakdowns don't affect your particular cruising, both lines deliver a quality product that satisfies their customers' expectations.

During last summer's flooding most other cruise lines either canceled or offered customers a choice to cancel, but Viking and Scenic turned their cruises into bus trips and did not give the customers an out.

I have not seen any announcement by either company that they have changed this approach, so if you book with either you should understand that you will be going on this trip even if conditions force major changes.

At least 12 Viking cruises were cancelled last year during that time period as reported by CC. For other cruises it looks like they planned to move passengers from one ship to another - something they would have more opportunity than other cruise lines to do as they have more ships to work with.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5384

At least 12 Viking cruises were cancelled last year during that time period as reported by CC. For other cruises it looks like they planned to move passengers from one ship to another - something they would have more opportunity than other cruise lines to do as they have more ships to work with.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5384

That SHOULD be the case, but this forum has received many complaints that Viking did not operate that way. Viking cruisers complained that the refusal to cancel the sailing meant they couldn't even collect on their insurance.

That SHOULD be the case, but this forum has received many complaints that Viking did not operate that way. Viking cruisers complained that the refusal to cancel the sailing meant they couldn't even collect on their insurance.

My comment was in regards to your posting that appeared to say that Viking never cancels their cruises for situations like flooding. I was pointing out that in summer of 2013 they did cancel at least 12 according to CC.

If that is a REAL concern, can always buy "cancel for any reason"ins.when you book the trip.

If you read the fine print on almost any cruiseline,so many alternatives,like bus rides,switch boats,etc....

In 11 river cruises over as many yrs.,,,this has never happened(thank heavens).So I realize things do happen,hope for the best, and just carry on.We get regular travel ins.and in 25 yrs. have never used it.

So I go by itinerary first,then cruiseline,since I ve been to most rivers now and look forward to new ones coming up.Also like to try new boats in same line,ea.seems different depending on country,crew,etc.

That being said,did book another with Scenic for next yr.since I REALLY liked the perks on their ships and seemed the best deal for the money for top of the line cruise.In this case,I DID GET what I paid for and worth every penny.But that does NOT rule out taking another line in future.;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at the brochures and videos for quite a few river cruise companies and I'm impressed with the "extras" that Scenic offers, such as spending a day immersed in the culture with a family and the excursions being included and not just a "walking tour". If I wanted to do that, why bother with a river cruise company? I also started looking at traveling on land with one of the travel companies, but I think the experience on the river cruise would be much more informative. Am I correct about that?

I felt really bad for all of you with the 2013 flooding but we are at the mercy of Mother Nature. I'm hoping you still enjoyed the European experience.

I'm looking at the Jewel of Europe trip from Amsterdam to Budapest. Sounds absolutely wonderful. I want to go to Salzburg in Austria, too so I'm aiming for the 14-15 night from Amsterdam or the other way around.

I agree river cruising GREAT,but for first timer,may I suggest you do shorter cruise per se with more pre and post time in city you desire.I say this because SOME people actually do NOT like the experience(ship small,etc)and often complain they re STUCK for another wk. I always think they must not have really researched all the available info prior to booking.

Good luck with whatever you decide.