Passport AND drivers license BOTH required?

zoiebear

So if you have a passport, do you have to have a drivers license (or other photo ID) as well or will just the passport do? I called Carnival and was told just the passport. I had also emailed Carnival asking this question and they just sent me what is written in FAQ's basically, which was a little confusing as to whether or not you need BOTH. Anyone have any experience on this?

Thank you!

At times some ports will require a picture ID to get back onto the dock area.

We bring both.

Since a passport and drivers license each have a gov't issued photo, it is only necessary to bring one into port to ensure access back to the ship. You will not need both.

However, if you are unfortunate enough to miss the ship, you will, in any foreign country, need your passport to purchase a plane ticket.

You will not need a passport to buy a plane ticket in Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St John's, St Croix, because they are not foreign countries if you are an American.

Thanks for the replies! Actually was just mainly wanting the info for actually boarding the ship in Galveston to begin with...

My niece is 18 and has lost her DL, but has a passport, so just wanted to make sure we didn't need to go get her another form of ID to board the ship.

As for the ports, she will just have to take her passport with her and be careful to not loose it! :rolleyes:

On our trip to Australia on the Ledgend, Carnival kept our passports and we did not get them back until the 2nd to last day of the 23 day cruise. We got them back as we were processed on board by Australian Customs officers who boarded the ship in New Calidonia. We had our DL also so it was not an issue, but advance notice would have been nice on Carnival's part.

Thanks for the replies! Actually was just mainly wanting the info for actually boarding the ship in Galveston to begin with...

My niece is 18 and has lost her DL, but has a passport, so just wanted to make sure we didn't need to go get her another form of ID to board the ship.

As for the ports, she will just have to take her passport with her and be careful to not loose it! :rolleyes:

Just a suggestion, if you can; scan your niece's Passport (it will scan an exact colour duplicate) and save as a jpeg or PDF. Then send the file to an email address that you would be able to access should you need to. This would make it easier to replace if lost/stolen :D

Enjoy your cruise !

Just a suggestion, if you can; scan your niece's Passport (it will scan an exact colour duplicate) and save as a jpeg or PDF. Then send the file to an email address that you would be able to access should you need to. This would make it easier to replace if lost/stolen :D

Enjoy your cruise !

Don't know how things work north of the border but State department employee's can find someone in the computer with information the traveler already knows so having a copy really doesn't speed anything up (and the same thing could be achieved by noting the passport number in an accessible place).

Don't know how things work north of the border but State department employee's can find someone in the computer with information the traveler already knows so having a copy really doesn't speed anything up (and the same thing could be achieved by noting the passport number in an accessible place).

I have actually used the scanned copy when filling out the cruise docs at home...didn't want to have to open the safe at home, then remember to put them back etc. Just had to toggle between the two screens and the docs were done. :D

Guess it's just a peace-of-mind kinda thing for me. I have never had to use it while travelling, but know they are there if needed...only a wifi connection away. :)

Having a copy of the passport DOES speed things up. It is a replacement passport instead of a brand new one. Can get a replacement in less than 24 hours at the consulate. All you need is a new photo. Spoken from experience.