San Diego info, please ----

DH wants to take his scooter on our cruise this coming Oct. We will be flying into San Diego a couple days early --- where can I find info about getting to hotel and then cruise terminal with it ?? It does come apart but still rather heavy to put in the trunk of a taxi --- are there accessible vans I could contact ?? Thanks .

DH wants to take his scooter on our cruise this coming Oct. We will be flying into San Diego a couple days early --- where can I find info about getting to hotel and then cruise terminal with it ?? It does come apart but still rather heavy to put in the trunk of a taxi --- are there accessible vans I could contact ?? Thanks .

• Since you're flying in a few days before does your hotel have shuttle ? If so and if it's offered free of charge and does not have a lift than the Hotel is required to provide and pay for accessible transportation. In this case don't take o for answer speak to the Hotel Manager.
  • If the hotel does not offer suttle service than go check the transportation information on the San Diego Airport Website for taxi companies that provide accessible transportation.

from airport to hotel:

http://www.san.org/sdia/passenger_services/accessibility.aspx

Your hotel can help you with transportation to the cruise terminal.

SuperShuttle (Cloud 9) offers wheelchair accessible (lift van) transport from the airport to your hotel, and from the hotel to the cruise ship terminal. Best to reserve with them at least 24 hours in advance. If your hotel does not have a lift van, and provides a free shuttle service to AB guests, they must provide it to you. Most do not, but contract with SuperShuttle, so check with your hotel manager on this.

Orange Cab has ramped (rear entry) accessible cabs, but they do not have an airport medallion, so cannot pick you up at the airport (although they can take you there).

Bus transportation in San Diego is pretty much universally accessible with lift equipped buses. The same goes for the San Diego Trolley (light rail). There are several companies that rent wheelchair accessible vans for private use locally as well.

There is accessible transportation available within the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park. Details on their website.

For tours, the Old Town Trolley company can provide accessible lift equipped buses, but they require at least 24 hours notice, and strongly discourage you from using their on/off feature (they want you to just ride around the route without getting on/off, since the next bus to come along that route is unlikely to be accessible).

Speak with the hotel that you will be staying about their hitel shuttle if they have one. If they do then they must accomodate you as well, either in their vehicle or by a contract vehicle, that's the law. There is another option if your hotel does not provide shuttle to anyone, AND your DH is eligible for ADA paratransit service in your home town. Have your home town ADA service provider fax San Diego Metropolitan Transit Service your ADA eligibility information. If you are eligible in your home town, you are eligible in any town in the U.S. that has an ADA service. They can pick you up at the airport, take you around town and finally take you to the pier, where ever you need.

ChipQ http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

There is a Holiday Inn within a close distance of the cruise port in San Diego. Not only that by the location is beautiful and there are many restaurants nearby and many things to do that are also close.

This hotel is also with a few minutes of the airport. Everything is very handy.

I would telephone that hotel and see what they can do to make your stay the best. http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/en/san-diego/sanem/hoteldetail

I would stay at the Holiday Inn the next time we cruise from San Diego. The cruise terminal is just across the street. We just walked/scooted across and into the terminal. Fantastic location. Holiday Inn picked us up from the airport. Our scooter can be put into the trunk of the car, but they just put it into the back of their van. Excellent scooting up and down the street along the pier. Lots to see.

Have fun.

Judy

I would stay at the Holiday Inn the next time we cruise from San Diego. The cruise terminal is just across the street. We just walked/scooted across and into the terminal. Fantastic location. Holiday Inn picked us up from the airport. Our scooter can be put into the trunk of the car, but they just put it into the back of their van. Excellent scooting up and down the street along the pier. Lots to see.

Have fun.

Judy

Thanks for confirming my own opinion. I like to specify which view I want when booking a room and also which floor. I want the best views.

That area of San Diego is very flat and the rolling is easy.

Thanks for confirming my own opinion. I like to specify which view I want when booking a room and also which floor. I want the best views.

That area of San Diego is very flat and the rolling is easy.

HI hotel -- just ok - check out their idea of an accessible shower before booking. Convenient that it is across the street from the pier and you can just scoot over while someone else brings luggage across or in provided luggage van.

We stayed at HI before and since we weren't totally pleased with it, booked Hyatt (about 4 blocks further down) upon return. Hyatt is a gorgeous old hotel with wonderful service and its' back door faces the entrance of the seaport area (a location of paths of stores, eateries, etc.) Vicki:)

Archived