How many people dread leaving their pets?

Gingee

While my cruise is coming up on the flip side I am feeling sad leaving the dogs alone. Right now one of them is curled up right next to me.

My DH said "you wanted to cruise" but then again he says he doesn't think of them while he is gone.

I know they will be okay with my daughter (and her two dogs) but still...............

While my cruise is coming up on the flip side I am feeling sad leaving the dogs alone. Right now one of them is curled up right next to me.

My DH said "you wanted to cruise" but then again he says he doesn't think of them while he is gone.

I know they will be okay with my daughter (and her two dogs) but still...............

Well, you could book the Queen Mary 2 and take your animals with you. The QM2 has kennels aboard the ship and people often take their dogs with them and visit them on deck in a special play area for the animals.

Jonathan

I feel your pain. I hate to leave my dogs. They know I'm leaving when I get the suitcases out, and then their poor little faces get worried looks on them. I know they will be fine since they are well cared for by my mother, but it is hard. You are not alone.

One of the reasons we always had cats instead of dogs is that cats are so easy to leave vs. dogs. You do not need to have someone come in and walk them everyday, feed them everyday, etc. When our cat was younger we would go camping almost every weekend and when possible be gone for a 4 or maybe a 5 day weekend. We could leave our cat 2-3 bowls of dry food and 2-3 bowls of water and a clean litter box and she was fine. Well, when we moved from Maryland to Florida a few years ago, she became very needy, first of all she was 16 years old (now 18) and she does not do well 'at all'. When we are gone, we have someone come in, everyday, and feed her, as the vet now has her on olive oil mixed with her food, plus 1/4 of a baby aspirin, every other day. She misses us and cries so much that when we get home her 'voice' is hoarse. Now, this does NOT stop us from going on cruises, or stop us from going on vacations.

But, I do have one quandary - we have an apartment rented for the month of August + 1 week of September at a popular Gulf Coast Beach community. The building does allow pets with a WHOLE lot of regulations and hoops to jump through, you can tell that the regulations are for if someone wants to bring a dog and the building/owners are worried about the chance of a bite, etc. All the requirements would have nothing to do with us bringing a cat, that would stay inside. Which is all beside the point as the person we rent from said 'no pets'. Our cat is old, no claws, is a female, so does not spray (only males do that). She does not and really cannot damage anything. We just put down a shower curtain put a disposable litter box on it and change the box about every 5 days. BUT - it would not be honest to take her when we are not suppose to have her. SO I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. ????????

My dog is my sweet companion. When I take a vacation, he does, too. But, his vacation is going to his favorite kennel. It is one of the cool new kennels where they have a huge indoor and outdoor play area, a pool, things for them to climb on (ever see a dog slide down the slide from one of those kids' castles??? a hoot) and lots of employees to play with them. He has his "buds" that go there for doggy day camp and a few dogs of the employees. When I drop him off, I watch him say "hi" to all the dogs through the window. He could care less that I'm dropping him off for a day or 2 weeks - he runs right in and starts playing. The kennel that he went to when he was still a puppy had webcams installed around the play areas so you could go their website and watch the dogs! That was definitely an eye-opener that he was enjoying himself on his own vacation!

My dog gets boarded at his vet's. He doesn't have a problem going to the vet's, he just has a problem with me showing up to take him back home when I get back.:p

While we did have to tell Koko he couldn't go with us, we have a family member who house / kitty sits while we're gone so we know they're well taken care of.

Tigger and Koko's response when we get home is "oh, you're here - where are our treats?"

DSCF0616_zpsa88a14d0.jpg

we actually have a wildlife rescue, along with 2 dogs, 2 cats, 14 resident turtles, a resident blue jay, 1o laying hens, 5000 gallon koi pond and a 200 gallon reef tank.

we have volunteers to help with any wildlife and we also bring in a house sitter.

so no i do not feel guilty. i know all the animals are well cared for....:)

I feel more than guilty leaving my cats for any amount of time. Then again, our oldest boy (Who is only almost 6) has a fit when he go to the grocery store and there are no humans around for 4 hours!

A great example would be just 2 nights ago. I had school work I hadn't felt like doing but I had to because the deadline was Tuesday night to turn the papers in. Not much of an issue because I can easily write a 10 page research paper from scratch in less than 2 hours and I only had 2 of them to do :p.

Well someone who wanted the celebrate the 4th early, was shooting off fireworks. Into the transformer.... estimated restore of power time was at least 12 hours :eek: Only my laptop has office on it so I couldn't use my kids when it's battery died, and the only internet was my phone tethered which sucks the power out of the laptop batteries. Only real choice was a hotel for the night since this happened in the early evening around 3pm.

We were gone less than 24 hours, but my cats were left home alone in the dark (we flipped the main breaker switch just in case for when they changed out the transformer and the power surges back on). He still hasn't talked to me yet! I can't wait to see what happens when we will be gone for 14 days (though he will have power and a relative who is suppose to come every 3 days, but comes everyday and spoils them with moist food everyday instead of our 2 times a week normally). He might just want us to leave again at that point!

Queen Mary 2? It's a thought. LOL

My daughter is now married and has two dogs of her own. The thing is that my one dog becomes a major wimp around her two dogs and my dog (the Pom) is the largest of all four of them. My daughter lived at home with both dogs before she got married so they certainly know her. Still............................

I was fortunate enough to find a fantastic kennel in Austin. Each cat has its own room with a canopy bed and a huge window that looks out over the vet's office waiting room. We take her with us whenever we can but cruising is definitely out. She is getting more at ease in hotel rooms and doesn't spend the entire time hiding!

Even though I've always loved animals, I never had a pet. I live alone, and travel a lot, so it didn't seem right - or practical. All my cat-loving friends suggested I get a cat because they're "easy". They pretty much take care of themselves. So I have a cat, and I hate leaving him. I'm sure he's fine when I'm gone. The neighbors come in to check on him, but I miss him! Even though he ignores me most of the day, and doesn't exactly jump for joy when I come home from work, I just miss his goofy, furry company.

So I still travel, just not as often and only for a few days at a time.

Guest maddycat

We take 2 cruises a year. My DH said that he would like to take a third. However, we feel guilty enough leaving our cats twice a year.

We have a cat sitter come to the house once a day. The cats really like her. When she comes to pick up the house key and they hear her voice they come running to say hello. When we come home they don't let us out of their sight for the first day.

My 2 dogs go to doggie camp! They love it, daily activities, swimming, dogs to play with and they sleep on human beds!

Linda also posts videos on Facebook, so we can see them while we are away!

They become excited and happy when we mention doggie camp.

I still miss them.

Ginger

Our cats were use to our being gone for a couple of days or so on business trips ... but I always felt guilty when leaving them, even with good care, for a couple of weeks to take a cruise.

:D Always had a bit of them with us ... their hairs from trying to pack themselves on our suitcases when we were packing!

LuLu

~~~~

I hate leaving my 3 Bernese Mountain Dogs, especially as I know they know what the suitcase means when it comes out.

I swear that Toby my boy dog just throws me dirty looks from the time the suitcase comes out to the time they are picked up to be taken to the kennels.

Ha ha ha !!

We're leaving next week and it's always hard to leave 'our Princess'. She does fine or so we think and she has her playmate, the house/pet sitter who moves in while we're away, guess it's harder on us then her

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have to kennel our chocolate lab, and it kills us! Especially the kids! We usually go camping for our vacations, and she comes with us. Cruises have become an every other year thing, so luckily it is not often we have to leave her!

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

My pets are fish and its easy to leave them but for cats and dogs it is a big issue for some people. We do mostly long cruises and have often been told by other people they could not do that because of time away from pets.

We were on a 30 day cruise a couple years ago. On day 12 one couple left their camera on a bench in port loosing all their pictures taken to that point and that night got word their dog was very sick. They felt they would no longer be able to enjoy the cruise and flew home at an extra expense.

My pets are fish and its easy to leave them but for cats and dogs it is a big issue for some people. We do mostly long cruises and have often been told by other people they could not do that because of time away from pets.

We were on a 30 day cruise a couple years ago.

We quite often B2B2B cruises incorporating a transatlantic for around 24 to 28 days and it costs nearly the equivalent of one of the cruise fares to kennel our 3 beautiful Bernese Mountain Dogs.

Archived