Norwegian Fjords-Have you been?

We are interested in the Norwegian Fjords for 2015 or 2016 but I have not found anything on Royal or Celebrity. I am interested in hearing experiences.

Hi, Jeannie! From my live/blog connected below you can see lots and lots of details and pictures on Norway, their great fjords, some key cities on the western coast and options for going farther up, UP to the North Cape. What are your personal interests, past Europe travel experiences, travel style, time/budget flexibility, etc.?? Tell us more.

KEY NORWAY COAST QUESTION: Your major challenge is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Below are just of few of my visuals to get you excited about the excellent area of the world. While we have done our two most recent cruises with Celebrity (for Australia/NZ and Barcelona/Italy/Med), our Norway cruise was with a different cruise line. For Norway, it is mostly about the port stops, time of year when sailing, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 142,599 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below are some pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

This picture shows the Bergen Floibanen funicular railway coming up the steep hill with the harbor, fish market, etc. in the background of this charming Norway coastal town with so much great history and architecture. On the top, somewhat right, the Silver Cloud and Costa ships can be seen in the harbor.

BergenRailCarUpHill.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

We are interested in the Norwegian Fjords for 2015 or 2016 but I have not found anything on Royal or Celebrity.

I am interested in hearing experiences. :)

We have just completed much searching ourselves. The 2015 Itineraries thread may be helpful to you. It seems as if you know what you do not want by discounting RCL and X,; can you describe what it is you do want? That may guide others in assisting you.

Edited by sippican

We are interested in the Norwegian Fjords for 2015 or 2016 but I have not found anything on Royal or Celebrity.

I'm on the 27/06/15 cruise on Celebrity leaving from Southampton, the photos on here look beautiful makes me glad I booked it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by tinkercat

Terry, Thank you, your pictures are amazing and certainly give us something to think about. Jeannie

tinkercat: I'm on the 27/06/15 cruise on Celebrity leaving from Southampton' date=' the photos on here look beautiful makes me glad I booked it. [/quote']

Appreciate the nice comments and follow-up. YES! This is a great area. Below are a few more of my visuals to prove it and build excitement. Plus, offer added options to consider. Also, it is important to consider your timing. Ideally, on average, July is your best weather month. It might be OK or good in May or September, but it gets more risky during those times of the year that are more on the edges of the peak times to visit in this region.

Also, consider your options for what you do either before and/or after your cruise. That's another opportunity to sample and experience such great Europe locations as Copenhagen, Amsterdam, London, etc.

Keep planning and researching. Let us know any added questions, interests, comments.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 142,730 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoten Islands. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

We cruised the Norwegian Fjords and Iceland from Southampton on Princess. It was one of our favorite vacations ... ever! The scenery was amazing as were the people, both those we met on the ship and in ports. It was truly spectacular, as shown by Terry's amazing photos!

Having said that, this is a vacation that is well-suited for those who love wildlife, nature, and smaller cities and towns. It's probably less interesting for those who wish to focus on night life or large cities.

Enjoy!

There are Norwegian cruises on both RCL and Celebrity

for example Caribbean Princess on 6/13/15 among the several ports are two of the best fjords: Flam & Geiranger

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the 5/2 Legend of the Seas cruise out of Copenhagen

Great scenery, but man, was it cold. Up to 20 FEET of snow in some areas

I also saw that Independence of the Seas was also doing Norway, although the ship got arrested in Aldsund. That was probably out of Southhampton, I don't think the Copenhagen terminal is large enough to accomodate the bigger ships

Appreciate the nice comments and follow-up. YES! This is a great area. Below are a few more of my visuals to prove it and build excitement. Plus, offer added options to consider. Also, it is important to consider your timing. Ideally, on average, July is your best weather month. It might be OK or good in May or September, but it gets more risky during those times of the year that are more on the edges of the peak times to visit in this region.

Also, consider your options for what you do either before and/or after your cruise. That's another opportunity to sample and experience such great Europe locations as Copenhagen, Amsterdam, London, etc.

Keep planning and researching. Let us know any added questions, interests, comments.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 142,730 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

From the portside control area, here is the view as our ship sailed up this narrow 300’ wide passage in the Trollfjord as a part of the Lofoten Islands. :

TrollfjordShipControl.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Terry,

I have enjoyed your posts since we were planning our Baltic cruise in 2011. We have now booked the NCL Star 14 day North Cape cruise which goes to the Lotofen Islands and above the Arctic Circle but doesn't visit Flam and its's stops are shorter than the 7 day Fljord cruise in June 2015 on the Star which visits Flam, Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen. The stops are all longer than the 14 day cruise. While it is shorter, my sense is that it has a good sampling of the fjords.

Do you have any thoughts on the two options?

The 14 day goes to Alesund, Hellesylt )one hour only), Geiranger (5 hours only), Tromso, Lotofen Islands (Leknes), Hammerfest and Honigsvag, then Molde and Bergen. The seven day is four stops - Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen.

Yes, I have been and I live here:)

norge_zpsdac3b9aa.jpg"]norge_zpsdac3b9aa.jpg[/url]

norway_zpsac94cb13.jpg

trollstigen_zps42f8bab9.jpg

Yes, I have been and I live here:)

norge_zpsdac3b9aa.jpg"]norge_zpsdac3b9aa.jpg[/url]

norway_zpsac94cb13.jpg

trollstigen_zps42f8bab9.jpg

I Cruiser

What are your thoughts about the merits of the NCL North Cape 14 day cruise as compared with the 7 day NCL cruise which is limited to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen, and does not go to the North Cape or the Lotofen Islands? The 14 day goes to Alesund, Hellesylt )one hour only), Geiranger (5 hours only), Tromso, Lotofen Islands (Leknes), Hammerfest and Honigsvag, then Molde and Bergen. The seven day is only the four stops - but the port times are a bit longer - 10 hours in each.

Thanks.

Edited by rdnpdx1

I Cruiser

What are your thoughts about the merits of the NCL North Cape 14 day cruise as compared with the 7 day NCL cruise which is limited to Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen, and does not go to the North Cape or the Lotofen Islands? The 14 day goes to Alesund, Hellesylt )one hour only), Geiranger (5 hours only), Tromso, Lotofen Islands (Leknes), Hammerfest and Honigsvag, then Molde and Bergen. The seven day is only the four stops - but the port times are a bit longer - 10 hours in each.

Thanks.

I always prefer longer stays in port but the North Cape cruise visits some very amazing places.

Hellesylt is normally only a tour drop off port.

Ålesund - 5 hours is a bit short but you can do the town easily in those hours but not venture outside. For you that is fine since you are in Molde and can visit the incredible Troll road from that port.

Geiranger - You will have time to do the main sights in 5 hours.

Molde - You could to the Troll road from this port given you are staying for more than 4-5 hours.

Personally I would go for the 14 days cruise. More ports, more vistas. The port stops are a bit short but you get to do the main sights.

I-Cruiser and Terry from Ohio are the best cruisers to give you the very best advice. Personally, I would recommend any cruise that includes Geiranger and Flam, both typical of the beautiful fjords Norway has to offer. We went at the end of May and right up to the North Cape, beautiful weather all the way and stunning scenery every day.

I would agree that Geiranger and Flam are the stand-out places to see the fjords.

The Hurtigruten ships are an alternative to the luxury cruise lines. These days they are mini- cruise ships but they get into parts the big ones can't reach, go right up beyond the Arctic Circle and have some spectacular days -- I particularly remember aiming for what seemed to be sheer rock only for a narrow cleft to open up. We could literally touch the rick on either side as the ship inched its way through.

Terry, I have enjoyed your posts since we were planning our Baltic cruise in 2011. We have now booked the NCL Star 14 day North Cape cruise which goes to the Lotofen Islands and above the Arctic Circle but doesn't visit Flam and its's stops are shorter than the 7 day Fljord cruise in June 2015 on the Star which visits Flam, Geiranger, Alesund and Bergen. The stops are all longer than the 14 day cruise. While it is shorter, my sense is that it has a good sampling of the fjords. Do you have any thoughts on the two options? The 14 day goes to Alesund, Hellesylt )one hour only), Geiranger (5 hours only), Tromso, Lotofen Islands (Leknes), Hammerfest and Honigsvag, then Molde and Bergen. The seven day is four stops - Alesund, Geiranger, Flam and Bergen.

Appreciate your good comments and questions. As noted by I-Cruiser, Hellesylt is normally only a tour drop off port. Not that much in this small town. The way it worked for us and many others is that you are dropped off of the ship at Hellesylt. Then, you travel by coach "up country" to see a nice variety of park, scenic sights, etc., and then end up in Geiranger with its great overview of the dramatic fjord, etc. Below are a few visual samples for how it worked for us on that day.

We have not been to Molde, but we did all of the other stops with your planned cruise. On my live/blog connected below, it shows the nice range of options for these various ports. Loved our time at the North Cape and how it worked for seeing the great birds, reindeer, etc. Great times during our two stops in the Lofoten Islands. Bergen is totally awesome. Good stops in Tromso, Alesund, etc.

We did an “Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger”, eight-hour tour. We saw stunning natural beauty of the “Roof of Norway’”. This drive goes through the verdant hills and into the mountains. This includes the Raftevold Hotel, overlooking the Hornindals-Vannet Lake at approximately 1,700 feet. This crystal-clear lake is as deep as Lake Tahoe. Then it goes to the emerald-colored Styrn Lake, seeing the Jostedalen Glacier, Buldrefossen Waterfall; going up the Styrnefjell Road, a masterpiece of engineering that opened in 1895. It has nineteen hairpin turns and then we cross the Jølbrua Bridge, located 328 feet above a gorge., one of Norway’s most spectacular views. After lunch at the Videseter Hotel, drive past the Tystigen Glacier, see a popular summer skiing site before reaching Mt. Dalsnibba. There was a photo stop is at a 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. A small village with a population of about 600, Hellesylt lies at the head of the Sunnylvsfjord, which is a branch of the Storfjord (Great Fjord) and nearby to the famous Geirangerfjord. Mountains and valleys surround the village, the settings of Ibsen's play, Brand.

Keep the good questions rolling along.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 144,395 views. Nice to be hitting this high of a level for viewership. Appreciate the interest!!

On our eight-hour “Overland from Hellesylt to Geiranger” bus tour, we stopped at the Jostedalsbreen National Park with these great views, even on a cloudy and foggy day. The rains had stopped by this point in the tour. These visuals include a nearby village scene and the grass on the top of a small building along Lake Strynsvatn. This park has the largest glacier on the European mainland and covers 510 sq. miles with the glaciers covering about 310 sq. miles. The main visitor's "centre" building was constructed in a manner similar to Viking longhouses where pillars rather than the walls are supporting the roof. This Centre in Oppstryn shows how the glacier and the landscape were shaped by water and ice through films, videos, computer programs and models. Its website for more information is:

http://www.jostedalsbre.no/engelsk/senter.htm

FjordsNatParkWaterBridge.jpg

FjordsGrassRoof.jpg

In the afternoon of this overland tour, this was the scene as the ship excursion supervisor snapped a picture showing so much snow still on these mountains as their high locations, even in the middle of July.:

FjordSnowRock.jpg

Next to the Videseter Hotel on our way to Geiranger when going “up country”, we saw this spectacular waterfall at this scenic high mountain elevation location. You can see how small is the hotel/dining building at the top to the right of waterfall to give an idea on the massive scale for this natural wonder. When you go beyond just the port stop village, you can better experience “ALL” that is there and around in these scenic parts of Norway.:

Fjord2WaterfallTallHotelNear.jpg

Here is a closer view to the Geiranger harbor with our ship and another one tendered there in this scenic spot.:

Fjord2ShipsCloser.jpg

Here is a different view as you are sailing from Geiranger and approaching the famed “Seven Sisters”. This is the view from the top of the ship as we are turning in this narrow fjord and first seeing some of this famous waterfall. Great majesty from nature in an amazing setting. This is the 39th tallest waterfall in Norway. The waterfall consists of seven separate streams, and it is located four miles west of Geiranger. The tallest of the seven has a free fall that measures 820’. The total height above the water from the top is 1,350'. The legend is that the seven sisters dance playfully down the mountain, while a single waterfall opposite, the Suitor, a male onlooker, flirts playfully from across the fjord.:

GeirFjord7SistersApproach.jpg

What cruise liners did most people use as considering the Norweigan Fjords or the Baltic for 2015

This thread may help you expore your options for Norway.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990587

There are so many variables - length of cruise, itinerary, size of ship, price, etc. You can even combine both regions into one cruise.

We have also sailed the Baltics. We usually choose the itinerary over the cruise line. To us, it was very important to spend at least two days in St Petersburg.

We were on the 5/2/14 sailing of the Norwegian fjords on the Celebrity Eclipse. It was 8 day round trip from Southhampton. We spent 2 days in London pre cruise. I wish we could have taken one of the longer cruises, but I had to get back to work. The ship was beautiful, and the fjords were breathtaking.