Has anyone done the 10-day Canadian Maritimes and New England Cruise?

OnTheJourney

Hi,

For the past few years I've been looking for a trip that stops at some of the lesser-known ports such as Baie-Comeau, Gaspe, Perce, Isle de la Madeleine, etc. Pearl Seas has one that stops at all of these, and is a trip I'm seriously considering; however, I recently came across this cruise that sails on the Quest and noticed that it stops at a few of the ports I'm interested in. I have a particular interest in Montreal and noticed that this cruise starts there. That would work out well since I'd like to spend at least an extra day there before the cruise begins.

If anyone has done this cruise or has any thoughts / recommendations on Seabourn in general, please pass them along. The Quest was in port at Ushuaia on our recent Antarctica cruise, and so it got me thinking about Seabourn and what they might have to offer in the way of Canada and the St. Lawrence.

Thanks for any input!

Keith

It's an interesting cruise. Chioce of cruise is 'swings and roundabouts'. September/early October cruises don't give you the fall colours, but the weather is generally better. We wer on the last on in October. The leaves were turning, especially as we turned south. But we hit bad weather - one of those 'perfect storms' where the remains of a hurricane collides with a cold front coming across the continent. And in the St Lawrence Channel, there is no way for a ship to run. But we enjoyed all apart from those 2 days.

Make sure you buy some gaspeite jewellry in Gaspe - I understand that the source of the gem is exhausted.

Thanks for the replies! I see that the Seabourn cruise ends in Boston. That part of the trip does not quite appeal to me as much as the one Pearl does which ends in Portland. From the end of the cruise I will be taking transportation to the airport and then fly to either PHL or ABE. I think it likely less complicated to get to and fly out of Portland rather than Boston. Also the Pearl itinerary is a full 2 weeks. Still, I would like to try Seabourn sometime. Quest looks like a really nice ship.

It's an interesting cruise. Chioce of cruise is 'swings and roundabouts'. September/early October cruises don't give you the fall colours, but the weather is generally better. We wer on the last on in October. The leaves were turning, especially as we turned south. But we hit bad weather - one of those 'perfect storms' where the remains of a hurricane collides with a cold front coming across the continent. And in the St Lawrence Channel, there is no way for a ship to run. But we enjoyed all apart from those 2 days.

Make sure you buy some gaspeite jewellry in Gaspe - I understand that the source of the gem is exhausted.

Sorry you ran into the bad weather! Thanks for the tip on the gaspeite jewelry. Have to check it out when I get there.

It wasn't much fun at the time, but as time has passed, it has become a great story, and a memorable couple of days. Remember the drawers in the chest on my side of the bed flying across the room at one point. Fortunately just missing the mirror on the other wall. As you can tell, I can get plenty of mileage out of the story.

It wasn't much fun at the time, but as time has passed, it has become a great story, and a memorable couple of days. Remember the drawers in the chest on my side of the bed flying across the room at one point. Fortunately just missing the mirror on the other wall. As you can tell, I can get plenty of mileage out of the story.

That must have been rough, we were on Quest in a Force 9+ crossing the Drake Passage and we didn't have problems like that.

However I do remember hearing the glass smashing in the cupboards in the Observation Lounge, even though the crew had packed them with towels ! 😳

We took a similar Seabourn cruise a couple of years ago--Montreal to Ft Lauderdale- and it was okay altho some of the ports weren't too exciting (Sydney) and others we had all ready been to (Bar Harbor, Boston, Martha's Vineyard). We've booked another Canadian cruise for next year--Crystal 10 days, Montreal to Montreal departing October 5. You might want to look at the itinerary--besides the usual stops, also includes St. Pierre & Miquelon and Corner Brook, Newfoundland. Another plus is that the cost is 2/3's of Seabourn's.

We did it last year and really enjoyed it. We couldn't get to Bar Harbor because of bad weather, but the rest of the trip was really nice, weather-wise. We enjoyed many of the ports.

Hi,

For the past few years I've been looking for a trip that stops at some of the lesser-known ports such as Baie-Comeau, Gaspe, Perce, Isle de la Madeleine, etc. Pearl Seas has one that stops at all of these, and is a trip I'm seriously considering; however, I recently came across this cruise that sails on the Quest and noticed that it stops at a few of the ports I'm interested in. I have a particular interest in Montreal and noticed that this cruise starts there. That would work out well since I'd like to spend at least an extra day there before the cruise begins.

If anyone has done this cruise or has any thoughts / recommendations on Seabourn in general, please pass them along. The Quest was in port at Ushuaia on our recent Antarctica cruise, and so it got me thinking about Seabourn and what they might have to offer in the way of Canada and the St. Lawrence.

Thanks for any input!

Keith

We did it last year and really enjoyed it. We couldn't get to Bar Harbor because of bad weather, but the rest of the trip was really nice, weather-wise. We enjoyed many of the ports.

We couldn't get to Charlottetown. Shame you couldn't get to Bar Harbor. Bar Harbor I had the best and cheapest lobster (thanks to Chairsin's, if I remember correctly, tips).

Glad you enjoyed it ab21lau. It's all thanks to my mother who was born in Maine. Numerous relatives had summer homes in the area so we spent a lot of time up there. But now I need to confess that the lobster recommendations comes second hand from all of my Maineac relatives as I am sadly allergic to shellfish. Many a summer they all sat there devouring lobsters while I had a lousy hotdog!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, we were really looking forward to the stop in Bar Harbor. I've never been. Next time!

We couldn't get to Charlottetown. Shame you couldn't get to Bar Harbor. Bar Harbor I had the best and cheapest lobster (thanks to Chairsin's, if I remember correctly, tips).

• 1 month later...