Help with The Beijing Hotel

MLinFL

We are going to be on a Cruise/Tour with Princess that starts on September 27th. We decided to fly in 2 days early (arriving on 9/25) so that we can just adjust to the time change and rest a little before starting the tour.

Here is my problem. Many months ago, I went to the "Beijing Hotel" web site (this is the hotel that Princess is going to be using for our tour) and booked 2 nights (9/25 and 9/27). I received a reservation number, so I guess I actually do have this reservation. I decided to e-mail them (they give an e-mail address on their website) to ask if we would be able to stay in the same room once the Princess part of our trip begins, since it is in the same hotel. I also wanted to hear from them that they actually do have our reservation on their books. I never received a reply. I recently sent another e-mail, again no reply. Then I sent an e-mail to the web master of the web page stating my problem with trying to communicate with the hotel via e-mail. This e-mail to the webmaster was returned as "undeliverable".

So - right now, I am not sure that I even have a reservation. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can be sure that I actually have this reservation? I would hate to arrive and not have a room. I wouldn't mind cancelling it at rebooking with a local agent, but there is no where on the web site that allows for cancellations!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mary Lou

Hi! We are on the same pre cruise tour you are and we'll be arriving on the 26th. My travel agent arranged for Princess to book the hotel one day earlier for us. You might want to check with Princess to see if they will book the two nights for you. It might be a little more money but worth it.

Jane

A few words about the Beijing Hotel. I really, really like this hotel. I have stayed there a total of 12 nights in the last two years. However, they are NOT overly good about replying to emails, etc. When I asked about this at the hotel, I was told that a lot of emails from the US DO NOT arrive in Beijing-government sensors and filters prevent emails from going through. How true this is, I don't know. But with certain email accounts non accessible in China and Google down to the bare bones in China, I tend to believe what I was told.

However, if you book through Asia Rooms, you will get generally better rates AND they have quite a few package deals-limo from the airport and breakfast (which is REALLY good) as well as a room in Bldg A (Executive Superior rooms have little balconies that overlook the main drag) for about the same price as you can book just the same room on the hotel website.

I would contact Asia Rooms and let them handle it. Make sure you can cancel your reservation without penalty. They should be able to coordinate everything, although Princess MAY NOT book the Executive Superior rooms. The rooms in Bldg E (the Business center rooms) are currently closed for renovation for the Olympics, as is bldg B (the French provincial bldg-not worth staying in, as is Bldg C).

I can usually get three nights in an Executive Superior Room, with airport limo pickup and breakfast for about $600.00, sometimes a little more, depending on time of year. If you are going to be there over "Golden Week" (the first week in October), the prices skyrocket. And the crowds are ASTRONOMICAL, so be prepared.

greatam -

Thanks for the information. I already booked through the hotel's web site and got an Executive Room including breakfast which I would like to keep. I checked Asia Rooms and they weren't offering anything that included breakfast. Even though I can't reach the hotel via e-mail, do you think I can assume that I REALLY have a reservation? I do have a reservation number. If I tried to call them, will I get someone who speaks english? I would like to arrange a airport pickup through the hotel, if possible. They offer it on their web site, but -- as I said -- can't reach them that way.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

greatam -

Thanks for the information. I already booked through the hotel's web site and got an Executive Room including breakfast which I would like to keep. I checked Asia Rooms and they weren't offering anything that included breakfast. Even though I can't reach the hotel via e-mail, do you think I can assume that I REALLY have a reservation? I do have a reservation number. If I tried to call them, will I get someone who speaks english? I would like to arrange a airport pickup through the hotel, if possible. They offer it on their web site, but -- as I said -- can't reach them that way.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mary Lou

Call the hotel. They have English speaking personnel (175 million Chinese are learning to speak English). Don't forget about the time difference. I usually call just before I go to bed in the evening.

Or email AisaRooms, if you want a package. Since you are arriving very close to Golden Week, Asia Rooms may have either sold out OR the hotel made no rooms available to booking agencies.

Good luck

A friend of mine stayed at The Beijing Hotel in 2004. He requested a non-smoking room but not a non-smoking floor. Well he could not believe how bad the smoke was wafting down the hallway. He said there were 4-5 guys in a room just lighting up all night. It was horrible. Definitely book a non-smoking floor if you don't like smoke.

Archived