Definition of "Cruising Solo"

BluesCruise

What does "cruising solo" mean to you? To me, it means that I don't know anyone on this trip. I booked it alone. If I'm traveling with a group, and there are people I know in that group, then I'm not cruising solo. If it's a group trip that I heard about, but I don't know anyone going, I'm solo. If the cruise line set me up with a roommate, I'd still be solo. But if I'm rooming with someone I know, I'm not solo.

I've noticed other people define it differently. What's your definition?

What does "cruising solo" mean to you? To me, it means that I don't know anyone on this trip. I booked it alone.

That's EXACTLY what it means, IMO. Cruising "solo" means when I booked the cruise I booked it for myself only, I'm flying down just me, and at the very least I know NO-one personally on the ship at the time of boarding. Anything ELSE is indeed something ELSE.

I define "cruising solo" as when all parts of organizing the cruise, from reservation to embarkation, are done for yourself only. There are no friends, family, or organized group traveling with you (this includes hosted singles' cruises). Solo is when it's you only.

This is my definition of "solo", as well. After talking and planning with many people on my roll call for over a year though, I don't feel like I have no "friends" onboard.

Solo to me is when you plan every thing for yourself. the only people I will know on my cruise are the ones I have chatted with on the roll call. And I have really only exchanged e-mails with one. I am looking forward to meeting some of them but I am looking forward to some alone time with a good book and a frosty drink

Well, maybe it's only the people who haven't cruised solo that are confused about it. People tell me about the person in their group who is cruising solo, or 2 people who are friends and rooming together say they're cruising solo. I thought maybe my definition was too strict, but I see several people agree with me.

Cruising solo is like walking a tightrope without a safety net. If you're with people you know, you have a safety net. You're not all alone trying to fend for yourself.

Bluescruise,

I'm with you on the definition. I admit I get a little grumpy or whatnot when folks say they are going solo on something but really they have friends or family or acquaintances going also. I went to an AI where I knew No One and others said that they had a friend who did that - flew to Ireland by themselves and met people there - so they were alone on the flight?!

Apparently, I want people to acknowledge my bravery! I shouldn't need that! I suck! I'm really not sure why I get irritated...

Sharon

Apparently, I want people to acknowledge my bravery! I shouldn't need that! I suck! I'm really not sure why I get irritated...

Sharon

LOL! I know exactly how you feel! How dare people horn in on the term "solo traveler" when they're joining with a tour group or meeting friends somewhere?

IMO, joining a tour group solo means you are traveling with a group (even if you don't know anyone in the group before you join), not traveling solo.

Cruising solo is like walking a tightrope without a safety net. If you're with people you know, you have a safety net. You're not all alone trying to fend for yourself.

I think that's the defining point: not having a safety net, other than what's provided to you by the cruise line. Things like assigned seating at dinner (a major one), organized icebreaker games, cabin mate matching, dance classes where you rotate partners, etc. If you know anyone on the ship in person from before the cruise, and you make some type of arrangements to meet them, that is not a solo cruise. Neither is flying alone to the embarkation port, only to meet your friends there prior to getting on the ship; that's just hijacking the term "solo cruiser", a proud self-identifier we like to use.

I don't care too much who hijacks the term. Nearly everyone I met on the ship responded positively to my solo status. On land, people's reactions are more mixed, but that's kind of expected; solo cruising isn't exactly mainstream.

Interesting analogy, but I don't really agree. I guess because 90% of my traveling is done solo (both land trips and cruising), so I don't consider it a dangerous challenge like walking a tightrope, and I never thought about having to fend for myself while vacationing solo any more than I "fend for myself" by living solo at home.

If anything, I'd say cruising IS the safety net for solo travelers.....pre-selected dining, with dining partners (if you'd like, no need to find a place to eat and eat alone), organized activities to take part in (if you like, no need to miss out on things because you're alone), organized transportation to pre-selected locations (no need to manage transport schedules or figure out the best or cheapest way to get from here to there - that is, after you decide where you want "there" to be).

Cruising solo is a great way for someone who hasn't traveled solo before to experience it, and a great way for solo people who don't like to do a lot of planning to travel, because so many things are already laid out for you.....you don't need to partake of all (or any) of the offerings, but they're available if you want.

Calliopecruiser, I think you took my analogy too literally. We solo cruisers have to "fend for ourselves" socially and logistically. We don't automatically have someone to talk to, to hang out with, to watch our stuff at the beach, to take our photos, to save us a seat by the pool, in the Windjammer, or at a show. For introverts, this really can be like my tightrope analogy. Luckily for me, I had done some research before my first solo cruise, so I only freaked out momentarily when I realized at sailaway that I had no one to share my excitement with. I joined in the merriment of the 3 ladies next to me at the railing, and it got easier and easier from there.

Traveling solo on land is a totally different definition.

Calliopecruiser, I think you took my analogy too literally. We solo cruisers have to "fend for ourselves" socially and logistically. We don't automatically have someone to talk to, to hang out with, to watch our stuff at the beach, to take our photos, to save us a seat by the pool, in the Windjammer, or at a show. For introverts, this really can be like my tightrope analogy. Luckily for me, I had done some research before my first solo cruise, so I only freaked out momentarily when I realized at sailaway that I had no one to share my excitement with. I joined in the merriment of the 3 ladies next to me at the railing, and it got easier and easier from there.

Traveling solo on land is a totally different definition.

I guess if you're not used to spending any time alone, not having someone to talk to might freak someone out, or having to find their own seat at the pool might worry someone. It's hard for me to imagine the idea that people need others there to enjoy themselves, but, then, it's hard for some others to imagine how I can be comfortable and content living on my own. To each his/her own, I guess.

I think solo cruising is sort of that fear before you board the ship that once you get on board you will feel out of place or that alone feeling even when you are in a crowd. You don't have that safety net of having someone to be with and talk too. However a cruise is probably the best place to meet people and make friends as a solo person at least that's what I found. Even couples and groups of people can be very friendly towards solo cruises if you have the right attitude. A cruise is not Noah's arc. Many solos and/or single people cruise for a variety of reasons. I've found too that traveling with someone can be difficult and less enjoyable since you are always trying to compromise what to do or not do together which can be a real challenge depending upon who you are traveling with. I do know people that will not travel alone. I always feel sad for those people since they are missing out; but you can't force someone to do something they don't want to do.

I need to know how hard is it the first time when you are really alone and how to you handle everything.

Not hard at all. People on land vacations tend to cluster with the people they came with, and oftentimes, only the people they came with. Not so on cruises. The natural camaraderie of a cruise ship is strong enough to override the natural tendency to stick to the people you already know. Everybody is very friendly and open to meeting new people. You can talk to anyone: other solos, couples, groups of friends, etc. What's likely to happen is that you'll get adopted, meaning invited to hang with a pre-existing group of people. That happened to me twice: once by two friends from my roll call, another time by my tablemates. Unless you're taking the cruise specifically to be alone, the "adopters" can make or break your cruise.

Having said that, there were still some lonely moments. But they're rare on the cruise, maybe or twice. They're more common on the pre-cruise day. Generally, unless you rent a car or organize a get-together with your roll call, your only options are to wander the local streets by yourself or just watch TV in your hotel room. Now, that can feel pretty lonely.

Many people say they traveled with friends and called it solo but I need to know how hard is it the first time when you are really alone and how to you handle everything. Thanks

I think you will find that it varies by people. Some people are more outgoing and some people are more introverted, so there is a difference. The outgoing people probably have an easier first voyage than a more introverted person might. My first solo cruise was many years ago, and I do remember having some thoughts about if I would like it or not. I had done a lot of solo land tours and really enjoyed them, as you get to know the other people on the tour pretty well, as the tours are much smaller than a ship load of people.

I was hooked after my first cruise, the one thing I did not like about the land tours was the packing and unpacking every day. On a cruise the hotel moves so you unpack and pack once, and wake up in a different place every day. I do enjoy the cruise experience as I enjoy seeing different places. I think you should give it a try, as you won't know if you will like it, until you try it. If you don't enjoy it, well then maybe cruising solo isn't your cup of tea, but at least you gave it a shot. I think you will enjoy it, traveling solo is so peaceful and calm, as they only thing you have to worry about is enjoying yourself.

What does "cruising solo" mean to you? To me, it means that I don't know anyone on this trip. I booked it alone. If I'm traveling with a group, and there are people I know in that group, then I'm not cruising solo. If it's a group trip that I heard about, but I don't know anyone going, I'm solo. If the cruise line set me up with a roommate, I'd still be solo. But if I'm rooming with someone I know, I'm not solo.

I've noticed other people define it differently. What's your definition?

I haven't even cruised solo yet. But I agree with your definition.

Last fall I traveled with 2 other women. Due to the situation it felt almost like I traveled solo. One kept reminding me that I wasn't family so I made myself scarce. I drove down on my own, stayed in a hotel separate from theirs, drove myself to port and embarked alone. But I still knew deep down that they were there and we had our evening meals and some breakfasts together.

It was because of my experience last fall that I had the courage to book my 1st solo trip this fall. I consider that my practice solo cruise ... much like marrying off my son was a practice for marrying off my daughter. The second was a much more intense experience with even more of the financial and planning aspects falling on me.

I booked a B2B balcony for myself and one for my Princess Elite adoptive parents in February 2010 for our Southern & Eastern Caribbean cruise. Mom got sick early on and stayed in cabin for the duration, and dad stayed with her. I became a solo traveler out of necessity. I've always gone alone on snorkel excursions and loved every one. This time I learned to join other ladies after dinner at one of the venues and just have fun. Everyone has been gracious on board ship and during excursions. It's so simple solo; I want to find a sunny, quiet spot to read and viola' I pick where I want to tan. Some of the crew actually recognized me from our Sapphire Mexican cruise, and they made sure I was up and dancing each night. After such a positive experience, I'm looking at booking a true solo cruise. I am looking at the Baltic with Russia, or Tahiti - Morea, trips like that. My friends don't set aside money for travel like I do so it's out of their reach. The hard part is, how to gain acceptance at work. I don't know how to explain going solo so I'm temped to fudge the truth.

What do you say to your friends and colleagues to gain acceptance? Or do you care, or do you just keep it a secret?

Archived