Roll Call - Silver Cloud April 17, 2012 Monte Carlo - Monte Carlo

Emtbsam

Congrats Victoria and Bob...love the time of year and esp the ports, but we finish up almost four weeks at sea on April 16th so we won't be booking. However, today, suggested to Wellseasoned he consider one or more of these fab itineraries in place of his April/May Shadow Asia voyages.

Congrats Victoria and Bob...love the time of year and esp the ports, but we finish up almost four weeks at sea on April 16th so we won't be booking. However, today, suggested to Wellseasoned he consider one or more of these fab itineraries in place of his April/May Shadow Asia voyages.

Sorry we'll miss you this time. I guess we'll have to wait until the Amazon to meet!

I've posted this question elsewhere in CC.com. We are interested in either a hotel, B & B or rental apartment in Nice for four nights pre-cruise. In the past, we've stayed in the Palais Maeterlinck just outside of Nice and the Chateau de la Chevre d'Or in Eze. This time, we want to be in Nice proper. Any suggestions?

Hi Victoria,

Not only will we meet in Barbardos in December, but we just reserved voyage 1212B the voyage that precedes yours. Maybe, you'll decide to stay on for the next voyage.

Any recommendations for a nice, reasonably priced, centrally located hotel in Rome? We need a hotel for one night only.

Regards,

ScottToronto

Hi Victoria,

Not only will we meet in Barbardos in December, but we just reserved voyage 1212B the voyage that precedes yours. Maybe, you'll decide to stay on for the next voyage.

Any recommendations for a nice, reasonably priced, centrally located hotel in Rome? We need a hotel for one night only.

Regards,

ScottToronto

Great news that you'll be there. We're on all three cruises - Monte Carlo to Monte Carlo.

I stayed at the Grand Hotel de la Minerve a while back and loved it. It is right behind the Pantheon. I don't know what the pricing is these days. Unless you want to be in Rome, is there something near the airport that would be convenient to your arrival and your departure for the ship?

We just booked 1212 A and B. Couldn't pass up a chance to sail with close relatives, and friends from our first Silversea cruise. This, our second, has both an enticing itinerary and unbeatable price. Who could ask for more? We look forward to being with Dieter and Debbie, Victoria and Bob.

• 2 months later...

It does not look as if the ship will be full for any of the three cruises.

We'd be interested in hearing a report about the current condition of the ship.

Does anyone know if Alex, the pool deck bartender who plays table tennis so well, is on board?

we are doing back to back cruise with the end of the first and beginning of the second cruise in Rome. there are no silverseas tours. is anyone looking to do a private tour on one or both of those days.

I believe the ship will only be in the port for Rome for just one day. Although there are no tours posted in the tour section, I believe I saw something about transfers and something for passengers staying on board somewhere else on the site. I'll try to find it.

I talked to my TA about the lack of excursions for back to back passengers on the one day we will be in Civitavecchia. She called Silversea and was told that they don't expect to offer anything.

Not sure what to do. We've been to Rome several times and feel no need to add 3 (more) coins to the fountain, etc. On the other hand, staying on the ship on a "turnaround" day doesn't sound too inviting.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

I talked to my TA about the lack of excursions for back to back passengers on the one day we will be in Civitavecchia. She called Silversea and was told that they don't expect to offer anything.

Not sure what to do. We've been to Rome several times and feel no need to add 3 (more) coins to the fountain, etc. On the other hand, staying on the ship on a "turnaround" day doesn't sound too inviting.

Recommendations would be appreciated.

If you've not done it before, why not hire a private car/driver to take you to environs near Civitavecchi. We did and went into the countryside, had lunch in a small village, a lovely day. You control the time investment.

I've posted this question elsewhere in CC.com. We are interested in either a hotel, B & B or rental apartment in Nice for four nights pre-cruise. In the past, we've stayed in the Palais Maeterlinck just outside of Nice and the Chateau de la Chevre d'Or in Eze. This time, we want to be in Nice proper. Any suggestions?

Hi, we stayed for 4 nights at the Hotel Suisse, Nice, wonderful location, best view in all of Nice, down near Old Nice end. Our room looked all the way up the Promenade d'anglais. We booked a Privilege room on the 5th floor room #55, it has a longer balcony with table and 2 chairs. Wonderful sight of a night with a glass of wine.

Couldn't resist the deal or the itinerary. Wasn't even planning on cruising in April since we are cruising in 2 weeks. Only going through this life once so excited to do this and then spend more time in Rome. Love the Silver Cloud, did the Copenhagen- London in August.:)

If you've not done it before, why not hire a private car/driver to take you to environs near Civitavecchi. We did and went into the countryside, had lunch in a small village, a lovely day. You control the time investment.

Thanks for that advice. I'm investigatinvg a private tour to the Castelli Romani area with several Rome companies who offer excursions from Civitavecchia.

One more question? Any recommendations for best way to transfer from the Nice Airport to the ship in Monte Carlo? I've read some nice comments about Dream Tours on these boards.

Thanks.

Bogey

Would anyone be interested in sharing a cab from Nice to Monte Carlo on the 17th? We would also be interested in sharing a cab to and from Rome on one of the port days. We were in Rome last spring and would just like to wander around on our own this time. Joining a private tour of interesting places in the vicinity of Rome would also appeal to us.

There are so few people on this roll call. Do you think it will heat up as we get closer to our sailing date?

Would anyone be interested in sharing a cab from Nice to Monte Carlo on the 17th? We would also be interested in sharing a cab to and from Rome on one of the port days. We were in Rome last spring and would just like to wander around on our own this time. Joining a private tour of interesting places in the vicinity of Rome would also appeal to us.

There are so few people on this roll call. Do you think it will heat up as we get closer to our sailing date?

Where are you staying in Nice? We'll be at a B & B called the Vista Azzurra for 4 nights pre-cruise.

Considering how little time we have in port, we are planning on using SS transportation in Rome even though it's very expensive since we want to make sure we don't miss the ship. We are thinking about using private transportation in Florence since the ship is in port overnight.

Hi, Victoria. We haven't yet made our hotel reservation in Nice, though we'd better do it soon! We'll only be there one night, so wondered if it would be best to book a hotel near the airport. A lot of the transportation to Monte Carlo seems to leave from the airport. We would then take a taxi into Nice for the day. Do those of you who've transferred from Nice to Monte Carlo before think that's a good plan?

We would also like to take private transportation to and from Florence. Maybe you, Dieter and Debbie, and we could share a van. We plan to go to the Uffici Gallery and otherwise just wander around the town center.

It might be more enjoyable to stay in the center of Nice and get a taxi from there to Monte Carlo. The taxi might even be willing to take you on a mini-tour to Eze, La Turbie, and Roquebrunne on the way. Instead of taking the highway, you could drive along the Moyenne Corniche and pretend to be Cary Grant and Grace Kelly in "To catch a thief".

Your idea for Florence sounds good. Do you know if we can get tickets to the museum in advance to avoid long lines?

Archived