Christmas and New Years Cruise

SOShrink

So it seems that most of the markets finish on or around Dec. 23rd. Therefore, you could see the final day of the markets on the trip that starts in Nuremberg or Passau or arrive a few days early and stay in Munich for their markets. I imagine the closed stalls would still be up in all the town squares and slowly be dismantled. This was actually the case when we were in Paris last New Years. I was wondering if someone that actually went on a Christmas/New Years Cruise or someone that lives there would chime in. H2O, that Germany link was very informative.....THANKS! Steve

We took a river cruise the week between Christmas and New Years in 2011. Some markets remain open but the majority - especially in smaller towns - close on Christmas Eve.

We have also done a number of independent land trips to Germany and Austria over the holidays.

We generally begin and end a river cruise with time on our own and there are cities where you can plan to spend a few days where some of the markets will be open. This includes Berlin (fabulous at any time of year), Salzburg and Munich, where the Tollwood festival is open.

Concerning the Grand or the new Enchanting Christmas and New Years Cruises, do the Christmas markets stay open until New Years? I know they are closed on Christmas Day, but do they re-open for the week after that?

We took the Uniworld Christmas/New Year's cruise in 2011. It began in Nuremberg in time to catch the last day of the Christmas Market. As the other responders said the other markets were closed thereafter except for the Christmas Market in Vienna at the Schonbrunn Palace which was still open on New Year's Eve.

We actually booked the Enchanting Christmas and New Years Uniworld trip aboard the River Beatrice, which begins in Passau on 12/23, the day their Markets close, so we should be able to see that in addition to Munich's if we go a day or two early. It stops in Vienna a few days before New Years so we should be able to see the Market at Schonbrunn as well. New Years Eve, by the way, is spent in a ballroom in Budapest followed by a midnight cruise on the Danube on the River Beatrice; so we're very excited by that...and we have 10 months to pray the Danube is navigable at that time!

We actually booked the Enchanting Christmas and New Years Uniworld trip aboard the River Beatrice, which begins in Passau on 12/23, the day their Markets close, so we should be able to see that in addition to Munich's if we go a day or two early. It stops in Vienna a few days before New Years so we should be able to see the Market at Schonbrunn as well. New Years Eve, by the way, is spent in a ballroom in Budapest followed by a midnight cruise on the Danube on the River Beatrice; so we're very excited by that...and we have 10 months to pray the Danube is navigable at that time!

My Mum and I are booked on that cruise. Taking a couple of nights in Munich first. Very much looking forward to the trip!

Coli, looking forward to meeting you and mum. Stayed at the Southampton Princess on our honeymoon ages ago and drove a moped for two on the busy streets of Bermuda! Where are you staying in Munich? Are you not spending exta time in Budapest?

Wondering if any out there have had expirience with AMA Christmas cruises?. We are looking at a Danube cruise with Christmas Markets and a side trip to Salzburg. We are mobility challenged but the river cruise lines do not allow power scooters on board so a lot of walking is tough for us. Thanks M.

Wondering if any out there have had expirience with AMA Christmas cruises?. We are looking at a Danube cruise with Christmas Markets and a side trip to Salzburg. We are mobility challenged but the river cruise lines do not allow power scooters on board so a lot of walking is tough for us. Thanks M.

Yes, we did this last year on AmaCerto. It was the best of our 6 river cruises so far and AMA is wonderful!

What is your question?

Hi! Our question is basically, are there a lot of long walks in port? I have read that AMA has less strenuous tours but wonder if they are in all ports and is a lot missed from the regular tour groups? I have been looking at Grand Circle and Vantage also. Thanks. M.

Hi! Our question is basically, are there a lot of long walks in port? I have read that AMA has less strenuous tours but wonder if they are in all ports and is a lot missed from the regular tour groups? I have been looking at Grand Circle and Vantage also. Thanks. M.

We either go DIY or take the active tours. My mom, who is 81, sometimes took the easy tours which limited walking. Can't say what you would miss as we never really discussed it.

Archived