CENTURY Being Redeployed...........

Lois R

Just found out CENTURY is going to Europe for the Summer......there goes my sailing:( ........

Was told it is due to Soft Sales In the Caribbean........

Well...now Terri and I have to figure out what to do:eek: .......eeenie, meenie, minie, moe.......catch a cruiseship........

Any suggestions? We were thinking of Horizon to Bermuda but because they canceled the Caribbean, we are being offered 100.00 to rebook (Caribbean Sailings only)........

All input would be appreciated.

Just saw your thread - I had posted about this also. My daughter is so disappointed cause she had the Century booked for June 11th. They love the Century and were excited because it was a 9-night cruise with a "different" itinerary for them. Now, they are not sure what to do. They could go on the Constellation out of San Juan, but I've read too many negative things about sailing from there. They may decide to book an Alaskan cruise instead.

I also have this itinerary booked for October 29th. Celebrity told me that my sailing won't be affected. However, I'm not sure I can believe them.

Cindy

We have cruised and flown to Bermuda to stay and LOVE it!!!! Just have to be careful when you go!!!!!! June is the best for Bermuda. Bermuda is a beautiful island......no poverty...it is just very pretty!!!! I'd go back in a heartbeat!!! Very pricey, but very nice!!!!!!!!!!!

We have also sailed out of San Juan on Galaxy....but in January and had a wonderful trip to the S. Carrib. Not sure where she is heading on the June cruise!

Those who were "in charge" of CDC compliance onboard the vessel were replaced and sent home. The ship has been gone over with a fine tooth comb.

European per diems generate more income than do Caribbean sailings.. even Caribbean sailings in the summer.

The currency onboard is the US dollar. You can purchase your shore excursions with the US dollar. It's up to the individual passenger whether they wish to purchase, or go it alone using the Euro with independent tour operators.

Lastly, despite the less than stellar exchange rate, bookings to Europe from the US are up!! Cruises and land arrangements.

Supply and demand. It's that simple.

Come to think of it now we have no Celebrity ships doing the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Looks like its time to shop for a new favorite cruise line.

The euro isn't going to be of any value to Americans wanting to do Europe. The I exchange rate is painful. Perhaps Celebrity will become the new line of Europe leaving America behind. I think there are many people who want to sail Celebrity to warm climates othe than in the middle of the winter. Well the only thing thats constant is change.

I don't think that the inspection problems of Century are the reason. Although it is an issue on this board, I think that 99% of passengers, whether she sails in the Caribbean or the Med, will not know about the problems. More likely to me is that demand is through the floor after the atrocious weather in the Caribbean at the same time this year.

As someone booked out of Fort Lauderdale on Century on Sept 12, can we expect any compensation such as a future sailing credit? What has happened in the past? The truth is that I have suffered no finacial loss yet but the friends we are travelling with have booked their air. They are insured but there will still be some small loss. The real "loss" is that we had a great deal in a suite and that is unlikely to be repeated on another ship.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks and Merry Christmas to all

Michael

Come to think of it now we have no Celebrity ships doing the Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Looks like its time to shop for a new favorite cruise line.

The euro isn't going to be of any value to Americans wanting to do Europe. The I exchange rate is painful. Perhaps Celebrity will become the new line of Europe leaving America behind. I think there are many people who want to sail Celebrity to warm climates othe than in the middle of the winter. Well the only thing thats constant is change.

Hi Carol Anne & Lois !

I am Very disappointed with this news. I totally agree that the Euro situation will be of no help to Americans. Does Celebrity not care about their US Passengers who want to sail close to home ? It sure looks like that way to me.

First, they pulled Summit out of Florida, and now, perhaps the same thing is happening to Century as well. I admit we dont know that for certain, but what we do know, is that her Florida fate is up in the air right now. Celebrity will have practically nothing to offer out of Ft Lauderdale or Miami after April of 2005... for a while at least.

I also have to start wondering if I need to look for another Cruise Line, who will have an true understanding of what loyalty means. Celebrity appears to be forgetting about their past passengers very badly right now.

I posted this a few minutes ago, on another thread, but I thought I would post my thoughts here as well. Please indulge me until if & when the threads get merged.....

--------------

Unless some other shoe drops, it looks like Celebrity will have nothing out of South Florida for Summer 2005. To me, this is VERY Hard to imagine..... but I guess it is so.

As most of you know....from the moment this schedule was released months ago, I said it was a disaster. I has said all along, that the new Century Caribbean itinerary would NEVER work, and sadly, I was right. They were going to be very hard pressed to find passengers who were willing to pay the prices Celebrity was asking.... to sail on a 9 year old ship.

This was especially troubling, as we had Summit doing this run for the last few seasons. Now, they wanted us to pay more, to go on an older ship, with a weaker itinerary ? Not going to happen.

What Celebrity CLEARLY should have done (and I said this many times), was to let Century continue to do 7 night Caribbean sailings, but with new, updated itineraries. To not have 1 ship in the Caribbean out of South Florida this Summer, makes no sense at all. Again, they are simply giving away the business to their competitors. Just a very bad plan IMHO.

Perhaps there will be more scheduling changes to come, but we will have to wait & see.

Regards,

Andy

My friend and I are booked on a May 14th sailing on the Century. We have already booked non refundable airfare and insurance. So, what happens now?Are we out our airfare and insurance? We can change our airfare for $100. It is too late to call my travel agent today. I will call her tomorrow to see what she says.There are no more 9 night cruises out of Fort Lauderdale that I can find. What will Celebrity do for us???

Lp56

Wow! It makes me wish I didn't have the next 1-1/2 years worth of cruising booked. What great itineraries! Drool. We've done the Northern Europe--new ports added, we've done some of the Med--new ports added, we've done a transatlantic--new ports added. Except for the price, this looks really nice! I don't think Celebrity will have any problem with bookings. But we'll miss her over on this side of the ocean. I hope others appreciate her as much as we do.;)

Garry

My friend and I are booked on a May 14th sailing on the Century. We have already booked non refundable airfare and insurance. So, what happens now?Are we out our airfare and insurance? We can change our airfare for $100. It is too late to call my travel agent today. I will call her tomorrow to see what she says.There are no more 9 night cruises out of Fort Lauderdale that I can find. What will Celebrity do for us???

Lp56

Hi Lp56 !

Everyone who is booked on Century, seems to have the same questions. I am sure there is alot of confusion out there right now.

Celebrity has set up a special phone # to answer questions. The phone # is 1-888-837-5676. However, I think it would be best to let your travel agent make the phone call.

If you want to know something tonight, Perhaps you should call the Captains Club, and maybe they can tell you what will be done for you.

As it stands right now, unless something changes, it does not look like another ship will be replacing Century in the Caribbean this Summer, so it will be important to see what Celebrity will do for you. Perhaps they will put you on a Royal Caribbean sailing, but that's another story.

I wish I had a better answer. I am sure Celebrity will be more helpful. Please let us know what happens.

Good Luck !

Regards,

Andy

LP56:

It depends. First, did you insure your air cost? Secondly, the insurance policy you bought, does it cover change fees? Not all do.

If you did insure your air cost and the policy covers change fees, they will reimburse you for the change fee. Also, in the case of cancelled cruises, most will flip your policy over to cover the new cruise booking.

Hi Andy, Thanks for your reply. Bob and I go over the 17th Street Bridge to the beach each weekend during the summer and we always remark about what I waste it is to see the port empty. Not one ship in South Florida from May through the late fall.

I feel so bad for all those who have already made plans and booked their airfare. I know they have a business to run but they are biting the hand that has been feeding them and being loyal to them.

I value your opinion and thank you for your input.

Lois and Terri and know how you feel about Century. I know that even though I prefer a newer and larger ship I found her to be elegant and airy. She didn't feel old or close in any of her rooms. Just to share what I heard from my current TA he has clients on the Century this week and next who are sending back pictures. They told him that there are actual sections of wall being removed because of some of the issues that occured during the inspection. Now I'm just passing on what I was told. I had actually sent this info to Lois and not to the board as I don't like to spead this type of news . So don't flame me I'm just repeating what a TA that I have had for sometime told me this afternoon.

I was going to book her for September and was told to hold off for two weeks before making a decision. He probably already new about the change and couldn't tell me at that time. Not sure though.

Hi folks:)

Carol, got your email...I just replied back.....sorry, I have been baking and talking to Terri and emailing with TA......

Tomorrow is Christmas Lunch at the Office...I am baking an APPLE CRISP.....the kitchen smells good:)

Ocn, I saw that Itinerary.....and it does look nice.....but I wonder if this whole thing is a sign?...sort of saying "try something else....something different from the Caribbean".......

We are thinking about ALASKA.......in May...going the same month as we originally planned...and we both have been wanting to go there.

I have to try an be be positive......because I LOVE TO CRUISE...though Andy, you are correct...NO SUMMER CRUISES in The Caribbean........not on X anyway....very strange indeed.

Hi folks:)

Carol, got your email...I just replied back.....sorry, I have been baking and talking to Terri and emailing with TA......

Tomorrow is Christmas Lunch at the Office...I am baking an APPLE CRISP.....the kitchen smells good:)

Ocn, I saw that Itinerary.....and it does look nice.....but I wonder if this whole thing is a sign?...sort of saying "try something else....something different from the Caribbean".......

We are thinking about ALASKA.......in May...going the same month as we originally planned...and we both have been wanting to go there.

I have to try an be be positive......because I LOVE TO CRUISE...though Andy, you are correct...NO SUMMER CRUISES in The Caribbean........not on X anyway....very strange indeed.

Hi Lois !

Yes I do agree it is a nice itinerary, especially for something put together on very short notice. I have no complaints about that. But as we both said... so hard to imagine having nothing to choose from on Celebrity for at least 1/2 of 2005.

It really looks like Celebrity's plan is to let RCI handle Florida and much of the US, and Celebrity will be here from time to time, when they can. It makes me disappointed that I chose to give my loyalty to Celebrity. Going forward, It looks like it was a waste. Oh well, I am sure other Cruise lines will appreciate our business. What can you do :( .

Andy..what can you do?.........Well, I guess choosing another line......but last time I did that.....oh my, I didn't really enjoy myself...not like I do when I sail on X........

I do have the Mercury sailing for 2006 to look forward to......and I will find something for this coming year........

Lets see what my TA comes up with for Alaska!!!

Geez, I had a deposit on this cruise, cancelled it because the TA I had was aweful, rebooked again today w/new TA that had a hold on it. Now, it is gone!

I am a new cruiser w/only one cruise under my belt (Alaska, w/RCL). I leave for PC on X in 9 days and was really looking forward to the 9 day Century cruise. I had not done any of those ports/islands. I can't see any alternative in May for me. Only one possibility and that would be to RCL on a similar itinerary for the same amount of money for 2 less days. :{ . At least I did not book air fare.

Archived