Mountain Top first then to Sapphire Beach

girlfriendtoo

We will be group of 7; initially we were going to on a Mt. Top/city/beach tour but decided just to get a taxi van to Mt Top for a bit then another taxi to Sapphire Beach or vice versa. Can anyone post what the approximate cost would be to each or comment on whether we should do the beach first and Mt. Top on the way back?

Thanks,

Lisa

Lisa , I believe your docking at Havensight pier , if so you can just walk across the street to Mountaintop , assuming everyone is ok to walk a few hundred yards . From there it's a couple hundred yards furthur to the $2 bus stop . We find the bus a conveniant way to get around (and cheap) . If the bus isn't your style a taxi is $20 pp rt from port to Sapphire ( $10 each way ) . I believe it's around $20 to go up Mountain top and drinks are high $15 or so for a daquiri , but I have never been but walk by it on my way to the bus stop . Entrance to Sapphire is free entrance . Hope this helps ! Good luck ! Ted

When you say Mountain Top are you referring to Paradise Point? Because another poster stated walking across the street. What's across the street is Paradise Point where you ride the cable cars up to the top of the mountain. I was just trying to clarify because I believe they do have a place there in St Thomas called Mountain top or something like that, which had a fire and was being rebuilt (and I think I've read it's back open for business).

However, if you are talking about Paradise Point instead...I do have some advice for you about going there. :)

Thanks Mitsugirly , Looks like I am totally confusing two places , I was definitely thinking about the Paradise Point tram ride . Sorry for the bad info Lisa .

I now remember years ago going to Mountain Top at the end of an island tour

and it was ok but more importantly pretty far from port to where you need a cab , maybe someone will come along with more specific info on ways to get there , again sorry ! Ted

Thanks Mitsugirly , Looks like I am totally confusing two places , I was definitely thinking about the Paradise Point tram ride . Sorry for the bad info Lisa .

I now remember years ago going to Mountain Top at the end of an island tour

and it was ok but more importantly pretty far from port to where you need a cab , maybe someone will come along with more specific info on ways to get there , again sorry ! Ted

That's kind of what I was thinking when you posted, that you might be talking about Paradise Point.

It's easy to get to. Once you get off the ship, you go behind the buildings and it's across the street kinda. Very simple walk.

This map will help put it in perspective how close it is:

havensight-map-2004.gif

I did the same exact thing when we went to St Thomas (Paradise and Sapphire) and here's my advice (if things are still the same from last year when we went).

We had intended on going to Paradise first and then heading to Sapphire. However, after docking and getting off the ship, we walked over to Paradise to find that they were closed and didn't open up for another hour. So, we walked back, caught a taxi (van) and headed to Sapphire and decided to catch Paradise on the way back. So, depending on what time your ship docks would depend on whether you should go there first or not. We didn't want to waste any time waiting around and wanted to get a full day in, which is why we ended up doing it the other way around. They added security of knowing that it was right across from the port made it nice because then we didn't have to worry about "getting back in time" and could regulate how long we stayed up at Paradise.

BTW, we LOVED Sapphire and it was our favorite day on the cruise. The water & beach was amazing. The snorkeling was great, iguanas walking around the beach and in the trees. We had natural shade with the grape trees located right there by the beach edge. It was an amazing day.

Here's my review and tons of pictures (link at the bottom of the page after the review) if you are interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1

One other thing, we found that it was actually cheaper to purchase tickets to Paradise on the ship instead of at the door of the tram. The ship was $19 I believe and actually even came with a "warranty" that if you didn't get a chance to use them, they would fully refund your money (NCL). I think the tram at the door was $21. There is also a coupon for the famous bushwacker online (save a few bucks) if you are looking to get their signature drinks up at Paradise.

Enjoy :)

Thank you both for replying. Ted, the bus suggestion and directions will help. Mitsugirly this is all great information, great review and photos. I think this will be one of our favorite days!

You're very welcome. We loved it and hope to make it back again some day. Enjoy yourself. :)

We will be group of 7; initially we were going to on a Mt. Top/city/beach tour but decided just to get a taxi van to Mt Top for a bit then another taxi to Sapphire Beach or vice versa. Can anyone post what the approximate cost would be to each or comment on whether we should do the beach first and Mt. Top on the way back?

Thanks,

Lisa

I would recommend Paradise Point over Mountaintop. Gorgeous view of Magens Bay from Mountaintop but it is very commercial now. But you can taxi there, not too far from the dock. I think you would enjoy Paradise Point more. We spent a week at Sapphire recently, but even when we cruise we enjoy ending our day at PP. We love the amazing views and it's a great spot to have a drink and relax. Do the surfboard shots if you like that. Great staff and good food. We actually renewed our vows at the gazebo up the hill from the restaurant.

Do Sapphire first, then return to the ship and shower and then walk to the tramway and take that up, just a 10 minute walk from Havensight to the tram. You can purchase the tram tickets at your excursion desk and save $2. You can also taxi up if you want. Taxi to Sapphire is about $16 - 20 pp roundtrip. There's a $2 bus but it is not regular and it also takes longer so you lose too much time. Take a taxi from the pier and enjoy your day at Sapphire. If there are not alot of ships in Coki is a smaller bay and is a little nicer in my opinion, but you will like Sapphire.

Great way to spend your day on Tortola. If you'd like more info on Sapphire there are several threads here you can search.

Edited by blue_water

I was recently at Sapphire Beach, November 14, 2011. Yes it is a beautiful beach and the water was crystal clear. However, once we stepped foot onto the sand the issue started. There were sand fleas (that's what we call them in Indiana). Ugh. I had about 10 bites by the time I left. No bites as long as you are in the water, just getting to the water could be an issue. Later in the week I say another woman and her sand flea bites had turned to big red welps and were oozing. Just a warning.

I was recently at Sapphire Beach, November 14, 2011. Yes it is a beautiful beach and the water was crystal clear. However, once we stepped foot onto the sand the issue started. There were sand fleas (that's what we call them in Indiana). Ugh. I had about 10 bites by the time I left. No bites as long as you are in the water, just getting to the water could be an issue. Later in the week I say another woman and her sand flea bites had turned to big red welps and were oozing. Just a warning.

Very strange.

Many girls (for some reason) are bothered by no-see-ums when around brush that lines the shore, for example. But in all of the beaches we've been to we haven't seen sand fleas along the shore.:confused:

Perhaps there was some type of infestation moving through and you were just there at the wrong moment, can't imagine...

Edited by blue_water
typo

I agree and it's the time of the year too.

We didn't get any bites on our eastern cruise at any of the ports last year. This year, my daughter was ate up in Costa Maya, but non of the other ports.

They also say it depends on the weather too. I was told in Costa Maya that September to (I believe) December or something like that is their "busy" season for no-see-ums. Also if it's been raining a lot, they get more.

So, it's going to be a hit or miss no matter which ports you visit. :)

• 3 years later...
I would recommend Paradise Point over Mountaintop. Gorgeous view of Magens Bay from Mountaintop but it is very commercial now. But you can taxi there, not too far from the dock. I think you would enjoy Paradise Point more. We spent a week at Sapphire recently, but even when we cruise we enjoy ending our day at PP. We love the amazing views and it's a great spot to have a drink and relax. Do the surfboard shots if you like that. Great staff and good food. We actually renewed our vows at the gazebo up the hill from the restaurant.

except Paradise Point costs $21 PP vs a cab ride to Mountain top.

We will be in St. Thomas in November. We are planning to go to Sapphire Beach in the morning. We thought we would have the cab drop us off at Paradise Point on the way back to the ship. Are we missing a lot by not taking the sky ride? Are there cabs available at Paradise Point to take us back to the ship or is it easily walkable?

We will be in St. Thomas in November. We are planning to go to Sapphire Beach in the morning. We thought we would have the cab drop us off at Paradise Point on the way back to the ship. Are we missing a lot by not taking the sky ride? Are there cabs available at Paradise Point to take us back to the ship or is it easily walkable?

The aerial tram is a nice experience with the views but no, being dropped by taxi is fine and there will be taxis available there for your return. You can also take the tram down (one way) if you decide to try it. We would not recommend walking as it is a very steep and winding road. Hikers (young and in excellent walking form) can do it but it's just not a smart idea.

PP is a great spot to hit after the beach or other island activities.

Enjoy! :)

Edited by blue_water

Just for clarity, Paradise Point is where you ride the tram, and Mountain Top is accessible by taxi from Havensight?

How far is Mountain Top from Paradise Point and Sapphire Beach?

PP is accessible via the tram or taxi, MT is a longer taxi to the west from Havensight while Sapphire is on the East End of STT. PP is close to the Havensight dock. Here's a map that may help -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

PP is a great spot to end your day, especially if you're docked at Havensight ;)