Any tips when sailing from Galveston?

ddy123

We are sailing from Galveston in February and I am completely unfamiliar with the area. Is it best to fly into the Houston International Airport or the Hobby Airport? Is one airport easier for getting to the port or more likely a hotel in Galveston the night before the cruise leaves? So far I've read that can be a challenge in terms of finding reasonably priced transportation to the port. Thank you!

Hobby is about 45 minutes closer to Galveston. I would definitely go the day before sail. Transportation is definitely and additional cost, but can be done. There are many hotels on Seawall Blvd, as well as others. There is an awesome, fun atmosphere and great food restaurant called "The Spot". Galveston is a very fun place to hang out with great food.

If you can be more specific about what you would like to know there are always people willing to help ya out here on cc.

Hobby is much much closer. SWA flies there.

Info about hotels and shuttles can be found at galveston.com .

Many motels have shuttles to the port, but if not, taxis are not that expensive; it's not a big island.

The earlier you book, usually, the lower the rate.

hth,

Jan

Hobby is about a 45 min drive to Galveston, Bush is north of Houston about an hour and a half drive to Galveston. You might want to come a day early as I-45S still has construction going on in some areas.

Bring a coat, windbreaker and umbrella. February is usually cold and wet.

Check www.galveston.com for upcoming events on Galveston Island.

Rudy and Pacos on 21st street is a very nice place to eat, $$$-$$$$

Thanks so much for all of the advice everyone! Hmmm...we have enough miles on United for 2 out of 4 free tickets but I don't think they fly into Hobby which is a bummer! Sounds like Hobby would be so much better. Especially given the United flight for our return home that we would want is at 11:55am. Do you think that is cutting it too close?

I can't decide whether the Mardi Gras is a benefit or not? Sounds like fun but worried it may make things crazy expensive.

Southwest, Delta, American and some others fly into HOU (Hobby)

Here is what you will find flying into Houston airports.

IAH (Intercontinental Airport to the locals/George Bush all others) will have more non-stops. Most flights into Hobby (HOU) have connecting flights

I will give a thumbs up to Rudy & Pacos too:D Great food/service/mojitos

You can find them on www.Galveston.com

...... Especially given the United flight for our return home that we would want is at 11:55am. Do you think that is cutting it too close?

Yes, I think 11:55 from IAH is cutting it too close. It'll take well over an hour just in travel time to get there, not counting time to find your transportation provider, load luggage, maybe wait for other pax. So if you have to be there by 11 am for checkin, that means you'll have to be on the road well before 10 am.

One freeway tie-up (and Houston has those frequently), late or too few customs agents, construction delays, and/or delayed docking due to fog (which happens in winter there) and you could easily miss the flight.

Hate to be negative, but I'd advise against such an early flight in this case. If it were Ft. Lauderdale or San Diego, no problem, but Galveston is a different situation entirely. Just my opinion ...

Jan

Thanks so much for all of the advice everyone! Hmmm...we have enough miles on United for 2 out of 4 free tickets but I don't think they fly into Hobby which is a bummer! Sounds like Hobby would be so much better. Especially given the United flight for our return home that we would want is at 11:55am. Do you think that is cutting it too close?

I can't decide whether the Mardi Gras is a benefit or not? Sounds like fun but worried it may make things crazy expensive.

Mardi gras will be considerably more expensive. Winter hotel prices are cheap in galveston, but during mardi gras, it's like summer prices. You can try staying on the mainland in LaMarque or Texas City. It's only a 20 minute drive to the port, and they might offer cheaper rooms.

Which ship are you taking? On our Ecstasy sailing in May, we didn't get off the ship until about 12pm. The Conquest usually debarks more quickly, but the 11:55 flight would really really be pushing it. Not to mention, the fog was so bad last winter. Ships were late more often than they were on time. So, I'd definitely recommend flying out the next day or way later in the day.

I totally agree with the fog statement. I was on the 12/13 Ecstasy sailing and we were 12 hours late getting back into port because of the fog. We live in Houston (very close to downtown) and did not get home until 10:00pm when we were scheduled to be off the boat at 8:00am.

If United isn't offering a later flight then you should be fine pulling off 11:55am flight.

In the rare case the ship is late everyone on board has bigger problems. I currently live in the Houston area and on a weekend, traffic will be OK if not wide open that early in the morning.

I would make sure you have the 8 am departure and CARRY OFF all your luggage.

Have a limo service pre-arranged and if they don't show up right on time hop in a cab. Its 70 miles from Galveston to IAH (all highway) so you technically have until as late as 11am where you could rush to the plane, but I would expect you would get there alittle before 10am or 9:30am is possible if traffic is light with a lead foot.

Archived