Which cruise to take?? Norwegian Jewel, Getaway or Epic!?

NHgirl2012

Hi All! I have been on a few cruises, most recently on the Pearl to Alaska in 2012. My husband and I are in our late 20s. Were taking a cruise at the end of March and I am having trouble deciding which one! The Jewel is the least expensive, Epic being about $400 more with airfare and Getaway being about $600 more with airfare. I am worried since I have been on the Pearl that the Jewel will be so similar that it wont be too exciting for me. I know the Epic and Getaway are in a completely different category. Anyone that has been on them think they are worth the extra money?? Which one would you recommend??

Jewel goes from Houston to Cozumel, Belize and Roatan

Epic goes from Miami to Ochos Rios, George Town and Cozumel (have been there before but a long time ago)

Getaway goes from Miami to St. Maarten, Virgin Islands, Nassau

My husband likes more adventurous things than just lying out on the beach.

Everyone will have different ideas. I have been on all 3 and loved all 3.

If you are a crusing traditionalist I would stick with the Jewel, the entertainment is more of a traditional different show each night shown twice. The Epic and the Getaway have shows that only play 3 or 4 nights on the cruise and you have to make reservations.

I love the new ships - Epic and later because of all the options but that is me.

I personally would pick the Epic as it is a class of its own and is leaving for Europe so you may not get the change to experience it later.

Getaway has more to offer than Epic. Epic offers more than Jewel. That being said, I have done all the ships and been to all the ports listed. I would do the Jewel. Three decent ports and a very relaxing ship (Jewel).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Epic & did not care for that vessel at all. It was anti-freestyle. I felt over scheduled. Everything was crowded. It's really noisy due to bad design of the public rooms. If you want to be on the go constantly, like tons of kids & don't care if you get a chair on sea days, sail Epic.

Personally, I'd go back on the Jewel in a heart beat but it's very unlikely I'd sail Epic again unless I really loved the itinerary & it was port intensive.

I can't speak to the Getaway.

What do you think of the various itineraries? The whole reason we went on the Epic was to go to the Caymans & that made is so worth it for us.

Edited by trish1c

We aren't very picky on the itinerary. My husband isn't a fan of just lying on the beach all day so we want to do more adventurous excursions like maybe a dune buggy tour or exploring coral reefs on a submarine or things of that nature.

Seems like the consensus is the Jewel!

They all have their great points. I'd base it on which ports are of most interest to you.

Personally I'm a fan of Jewel class ships and in fact just got off of the Jewel on Saturday. The ports were great and of a lot of interest to me but it was the first time I'd been to any of them.

I happen to like all 3 ships for different reasons but if you like an exciting ship. I'd go with the Getaway. They have Vibe and a great spa so it's really easy to relax. The Epic is elegant and literally in a class by herself, and the Jewel and her sisters are cozy and welcoming.

The Jewel is identical to the Pearl, so if you liked it, you will still have a good time but there won't be as much need to explore, and it won't seem "new" to you.

The Getaway is wonderful. Nothing feels crowded and you can always find something new to explore and do or see. I would go back on the Getaway again because I feel like we probably missed something on the first go around.

Then again, I went on the Pearl 2 years in a row (and had been on the Jewel prior to those sailings).

I can't speak to the Epic, so I'd say if you are comfortable with smaller ships go on the Jewel, if you want new and big go for the Getaway!

I love the Jewel class ships and thought the Breakaway (sister of Getaway) had a great design, never feeling crowded despite its size. And, as the above poster mentioned, the spa on Breakaway was fantastic! I haven't been on Epic.

Thanks! Did you think the Epic was really crowded? That's what I have read.. in terms of find a chair at the pool and so on.

We were on the Epic this past summer in Europe. I was afraid that it would be too crowded for me because we have cruised on the Pearl and the Sun. Even though the Pearl is my favorite I really loved the Epic. We had a sea day and because there was so much to do on the sea days there was never a problem in finding a seat.

The only one issue we had was sometimes finding seats at breakfast on sea day.

I am looking at doing the Getaway in April. I would love to do the EPIC in the caribbean because of its last season but it is the same route as the Pearl when we went a few years ago.

I think either one you choose will be good. I want to go on the Jewel one day.

Hi All! I have been on a few cruises, most recently on the Pearl to Alaska in 2012. My husband and I are in our late 20s. Were taking a cruise at the end of March and I am having trouble deciding which one! The Jewel is the least expensive, Epic being about $400 more with airfare and Getaway being about $600 more with airfare. I am worried since I have been on the Pearl that the Jewel will be so similar that it wont be too exciting for me. I know the Epic and Getaway are in a completely different category. Anyone that has been on them think they are worth the extra money?? Which one would you recommend??

Epic goes from Miami to Ochos Rios, George Town and Cozumel (have been there before but a long time ago)

We have sailed the Jewel twice, the Epic and Getaway once.

We have been on all those itineraries as well.

Based upon your ages and the other info that you shared, my recommendation would be to go in this order Getaway, Epic Jewel.

As mentioned by others, the 3 ships are very different in the options available to you on board. Both Getaway and Epic are much larger and full of advanced offerings that are not available on the Jewel. We sailed in Haven suites on the Getaway and Epic so I cannot comment on the relative crowds.

Add me to the Jewel list. Have done it twice and I am leaving on the pearl in 2 weeks.

I was on the Epic the 1st week of December and I did not like it. To many people for me and not much entertainment to satisfy me and the reservation thing is a joke. Freestyle? Nope,you must book entertainment and eating times in restaurants.

Steve