Azamara first timer questions

sanick

This will be our first cruise with Azamara, Spice Route, November 2015.

We are currently looking at tours and having never been to India before, would be very grateful for any information regarding the stop in Goa. We would like to do our own thing here, just wander around the city:). Does the ship have a shuttle to the city centre or are taxis readily available or is it possible to walk? We are relatively fit so don't mind a few km's.

Not sure if this is a feasible option so any advice will be well received.

Many thanks

Sandra

Suggest you get on your specific Roll Call for this cruise. There you'll find many ongoing conversations with people who are going to be sailing with you. It's the best way to plan excursions together and to get information about what you're asking. Have a wonderful cruise! That one's on my bucket list!!

Sandra,

Wonderful itinerary!

In addition to checking your itinerary's roll call for tour ideas, I would suggest doing a general search on Cruise Critic for Goa so you can read about past experiences at this port and others on your cruise.

My experience two years ago was that the ship docked at an industrial pier at least half an hour from both the modern city and the old one, where the churches are located. You cannot walk to anywhere of interest from the pier. The Indian government has strict rules about shuttle buses (not allowed) and taxi (permits required). Not a spurt of the moment kind of place. My suggestion would be to look at the ship's tours (the basic churches and modern city half day tour was fine and reasonably priced), look for independent tour with local companies (we used Mumbai Magic which offers tours in Goa too), and see if your roll call mates have any other ideas that might interest you.

Probably someone who was in Goa in early December on the Quest can chime in with more recent information. We treasure our day and a half stay in Goa on the Journey, and hope you can plan something there to fully enjoy this port.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look in to the private guide idea.

In second the recommendation for Mumbai Magic tours. We used them in the Golden Triangle, and in Mumbai. First rate guides and drivers. Will use them again when I return to India (2017 I hope)