Turned away from Coco Cay

ADS94

About two hours ago both the Majesty and the Grandeur (Ship I'm currently on) both canceled our stops at Coco Cay due to the tenders being unable to operate. Captain came on at 9:30 to say we might go to Nassau but has been silent sense. Both us and the Majesty have had periods of slow movement and being almost completely stopped. Is this normal for rough sea days at Coco Cay? I'd have figured he would have said something else about Nassau but we've been kept in the dark. Tried looking up info on how full Nassau is but no luck.

If the seas make it unsafe to operate the tenders it is not uncommon to miss Cocoa Cay. We have gotten in about 50% of the time.

As for Nassau.......since this will be an unscheduled stop the Captain has to make arrangements as to where dock, what time, etc. You are moving slow because Cocoa Cay and Nassau are very, very near each other.

No worries.....the Captain will let you know

I think it is more prevalent at this time of year as opposed to the spring/summer.

I've been 50/50 on my cruises at making CocoCay versus not being able to tender. We've ended up at Nassau each time CocoCay was canceled.

Edited by DonnaK

Thanks for the quick replies! Captain just came over finally saying we would be diverted to Nassau. I was only concerned because both our ship and the Majesty were real close to each other seemingly not moving. Plus, I had just come off the Adventure of the Seas a few weeks back when the entire itinerary was changed due to a hurricane, he kept us updated by the minute, so I was expecting that and had gotten concerned.

A couple years ago on Christmas day we were scheduled for Coco Cay but couldn't get in for the same reason but neither us nor the Majesty could get into Nassau. Apparently a Princess ship and maybe a Norwegian ship couldn't either. The four ships just cruised around in a big circle all day long. It was quite hilarious to watch.

Thanks for the quick replies! Captain just came over finally saying we would be diverted to Nassau. I was only concerned because both our ship and the Majesty were real close to each other seemingly not moving. Plus, I had just come off the Adventure of the Seas a few weeks back when the entire itinerary was changed due to a hurricane, he kept us updated by the minute, so I was expecting that and had gotten concerned.

Same exact issue arose on our Grandeur cruise 2 years ago. Rough seas, very rough. We bypassed Coco Cay after staring at it through the window and proceeded to Nassau. We docked at Nassau the rest of the day for an overnight stay... which worked out nicely. (If you like Nassau!)

About two hours ago both the Majesty and the Grandeur (Ship I'm currently on) both canceled our stops at Coco Cay due to the tenders being unable to operate. Captain came on at 9:30 to say we might go to Nassau but has been silent sense. Both us and the Majesty have had periods of slow movement and being almost completely stopped. Is this normal for rough sea days at Coco Cay? I'd have figured he would have said something else about Nassau but we've been kept in the dark. Tried looking up info on how full Nassau is but no luck.

The Captain can't give you any info until he receives it. He can't just show up uninvited and park. He has to receive the clearance to do so.

To me, this thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with how we use social media and the internet today.

The OP came on to panic and complain about something (I don't really mean for this to be a harsh indictment of the OP, per se) that was resolved ON BOARD a mere 15 minutes later.

JMO

YMMV

To me, this thread is a perfect example of what is wrong with how we use social media and the internet today.

The OP came on to panic and complain about something (I don't really mean for this to be a harsh indictment of the OP, per se) that was resolved ON BOARD a mere 15 minutes later.

JMO

YMMV

How can I not agree with you! :) Geez, I just dealt with this stuff on the Cunard forum due to a "propulsion issue" on QM2. Panic and concern prevailed about her next voyage, and as I told them it turned out to be much ado about nothing!

I was on Enchantment last week too. We could not tender on Tuesday morning so we went on to Nassau and docked around 4 in the afternoon that same Tuesday. We stayed thru Wednesday night at Midnight. Royal did not cut our cruise time short in Nassau. They just paid the port charges.... for an extra night... I think it is an hourly fee too.....

The MDR managed to put together a wonderful lunch and we had a great day while we headed to Nassau.... for a very extended stay in Nassau. The seas were rockin so I for one was glad to spend the time in port.

Thursday morning we woke up and found we were in Coco cay. We tendered and had a wonderful Thursday on Coco cay, that was originally our sea day.... I think Royal did a wonderful job managing our ports!!!! They still fit in cococay. and we had a whole extra evening in Nassau! How great is that?!!!

Edited by dasi11

I had the same issue last week on Enchantment. We went to Nassau for the night. On our Lady schedule sea day we went back to Cococay and were able to tender.

Great news!

I know it is a risk for tendering at Coco Cay. We are about 50% with the last 2 not getting there and one before, having to get off Coco Cay early. Crew does try, so we understand.

We had the same challenge on Infinity going to Antarctica where we missed our first attempt to get to Antarctica and thought all was lost, but Captain made a 2nd and successful attempt 2 days later.

Wonder why they don't put in a pier as it has many tendering misses? Assuming RCL/other lines are going to continue to use it. My quick guess is that the coral is the issue, and it must be pretty shallow all around.

JMO

YMMV

And a mere 3 hours later, both ships are now docked in Nassau;)

I was on Enchantment last week too. We could not tender on Tuesday morning so we went on to Nassau and docked around 4 in the afternoon that same Tuesday. We stayed thru Wednesday night at Midnight. Royal did not cut our cruise time short in Nassau. They just paid the port charges.... for an extra night... I think it is an hourly fee too.....

The MDR managed to put together a wonderful lunch and we had a great day while we headed to Nassau.... for a very extended stay in Nassau. The seas were rockin so I for one was glad to spend the time in port.

Thursday morning we woke up and found we were in Coco cay. We tendered and had a wonderful Thursday on Coco cay, that was originally our sea day.... I think Royal did a wonderful job managing our ports!!!! They still fit in cococay. and we had a whole extra evening in Nassau! How great is that?!!!

Glad to hear they made a second attempt. For sure, Royal's goal is to get you to the private island for a great beach day.

JMO

YMMV

Not exactly accurate Carol. He waited two hours before posting, so it took 2 hours 15 minutes. :p;)