First solo a tad bit nerves about dinner

cruisin' 4 fun

Just booked my first solo cruise on the Enchantment out of Port Canaveral on Sept 23rd. I know it's a long shot but any other solo cruisers going? I did join the roll call but thought I'd ask here too. My one fear is dressing up to go to the dining room and eating by myself. I requested a large table but who knows what I'll end up with. I think I'll be fine in every other aspect. I'm married to a great man with 2 girls and work full time, so I have very little "me" time and am so looking forward to it.

My first solo cruise, which was decades ago, I went to my first dinner in the MDR and was seated at an 8 person table, but the other 7 did not show up. I felt very uncomfortable (more than I would have at a smaller table alone) and never again dined in the MDR that cruise. What I should have done instead was ask the Maitre D' to be assigned to a different table for subsequent meals......so don't make the same mistake I did. If you don't like your table mates (or you don't have any), don't be afraid to ask to be seated somewhere else.

(It turned out the other 7 people were all from the same family, and they missed the embarkation. Apparently they joined the ship at the next port.)

I don't particularly like dining alone in a restaurant (actually, I don't particularly like dining alone anywhere), but you can take a book or games with you to keep you occupied. I like listening to books on my iPod.

I was mildly worried too before my first cruise, but the safety net of assigned dining was a big help. At the minimum, I wouldn't feel pressure to "find someone to sit with"; Carnival would do that for me. As luck would have it, I was the first one at my table, and ended up sitting alone for ten minutes or so. Pretty awkward, if you ask me. And unlike in land restaurants, I didn't have the crutch of playing with my cell phone. But then other people started arriving. We all introduced ourselves, and all awkwardness was gone.

While we didn't hang out outside of dinner, it was a very good table. I was already aware that I had the option of asking the maitre d' to move me (thanks to Cruise Critic), but never had to use it. At breakfast and lunch, I'm fine sitting by myself. But at dinner, I like to have a group to share stories with. So I plan to do assigned dining every time I cruise solo.

Just booked my first solo cruise on the Enchantment out of Port Canaveral on Sept 23rd. I know it's a long shot but any other solo cruisers going? I did join the roll call but thought I'd ask here too. My one fear is dressing up to go to the dining room and eating by myself. I requested a large table but who knows what I'll end up with. I think I'll be fine in every other aspect. I'm married to a great man with 2 girls and work full time' date=' so I have very little "me" time and am so looking forward to it.[/quote']

Hi:) have you checked out the roll call section? See if there is

one started and if not, start one:D. It is a really fun way to meet

other people on your cruise. I have met some great folks over the

years and we have linked our bookings to sit together at dinner.

And another suggestion...if you could move your cruise to Sept 13th?

I am going on that one with some longtime friends. We are a fun

group and have a roll call started:D.

Thanks everyone!! I will keep in mind that I can always move tables if I need too. And if all else fails I can eat in the Windjammer if I had too.

I can't switch days because flight are already purchased. Too bad....

Is there anything else I need to know as far as cruising solo? Or just relax and enjoy. I'm thinking about doing a snorkeling ship excursion in Nassau and just a beach day in CoCo Cay.

Thanks in advance!!

I think this is a common worry for those of us new to solo cruising. I leave next week for my cruise on the Epic and even though I chose a ship more geared towards solo travelers, I am worried about eating too. This is actually my only big concern.

Did you book a certain dining time? From what I've heard you can always go to the Maitre d the first day and ask about where you will be seated and the people you will be with. I agree with everyone else when they say if you have problems with where you are sitting to get it remedied. I'm sure RCI will be more than accommodating for you.

Other things I have read is if you do find yourself seated alone, take a book or if you have a smart phone, turn it to airplane mode and download an ereader app to take with you. When I go to restaurants alone where I live, I always have my phone so I can do something while I'm eating.

I just back from costa victoria. I was alone on the ship(my roommate miss the ship), seated at an 8 person table.

The 1st night, the other 6 did show up. But since the 2nd night, they didn't show up again.

one couple get seasick, so they stay in their room since the first night; the other 4 are the family, and one family member is in wheelchair, it's really inconvenience to go sinfonia restaurant,so they change to another.

Then the next 6 days, I had to eat alone, at the table for 8. It doesn't bother me at all, I brought an IPAD with me so I can read some book when I was waiting the food. Although I believe it would be really nice I can eat quietly, my waiter doesn't think so.

He noticed my situation, afraid I would be unhappy. So he talk to me every night. Because that's my first time onboard a cruise ship, I am really curious about everything inside the cruise. We talk a lot, from the starter to dessert.

It's really nice travel alone, you can go anywhere, do anything you want. you don't need to ask his/her opinion. So from now on, I prefer solo cruise.

To whom ever worry about solo cruise, just relax and enjoy. They will take care every detail.

I think the important thing to remember is that you are going on a cruise for yourself and not to please or meet anyone's expectations. Unlike them, you are free of arguments and free to do whatever you want whenever you want to. It's that simple.

I think this is a common worry for those of us new to solo cruising. I leave next week for my cruise on the Epic and even though I chose a ship more geared towards solo travelers, I am worried about eating too. This is actually my only big concern.

Did you book a certain dining time? From what I've heard you can always go to the Maitre d the first day and ask about where you will be seated and the people you will be with. I agree with everyone else when they say if you have problems with where you are sitting to get it remedied. I'm sure RCI will be more than accommodating for you.

Other things I have read is if you do find yourself seated alone, take a book or if you have a smart phone, turn it to airplane mode and download an ereader app to take with you. When I go to restaurants alone where I live, I always have my phone so I can do something while I'm eating.

You should be fine because on average you can expect around 24-25 solos to visit the lounge on the first night and many of them will want to eat with others as well.

In fact, am considering switching back to the Epic because there are more expected solos than the Breakaway

You should be fine because on average you can expect around 24-25 solos to visit the lounge on the first night and many of them will want to eat with others as well.

In fact, am considering switching back to the Epic because there are more expected solos than the Breakaway

Wow, the number is that high on the Epic? I honestly didn't think the solo cruisers number would be that high on average. That's a little more comforting to know.

What research have you figured out with the Breakaway? If I enjoy the Epic I was planning to try the Breakaway next. I haven't researched the ship too much because people haven't experienced it yet, but I'm curious to see what you've uncovered.

I am a big Phillies fan- I was at the 2011 game 5 where the Cards won 1-0 as Carpenter was unhittable and Halladay gave up a run in the first inning. Among Card's fans, how does this game rank compared to some of the others?

One thing I did on my roll call was announce I would be wearing a Phillies shirt with Howard on it, and a few people actually found me within hours of being on the ship!

I have heard anywhere from groups of 10 to 25 of Epic sailings, but I do not think there have been instances from reading these boards of 75 people for example or 100 participating. Many people in the studios are with families still.

But, in general there was a nice amount of people to socialize with during the week.

Being a huge baseball stat fan, and taking stats as one of my careers; my hunch for the breakaway would be perhaps a dozen solo travellers would attend events; I would hope for it to be more.

Being that the Breakaway is pricier, I wondering if it would draw married couples who would then have a parent stay in a studio.

Again, I won't make my final payment until I read 7 reviews.

I am a big Phillies fan- I was at the 2011 game 5 where the Cards won 1-0 as Carpenter was unhittable and Halladay gave up a run in the first inning. Among Card's fans, how does this game rank compared to some of the others?

One thing I did on my roll call was announce I would be wearing a Phillies shirt with Howard on it, and a few people actually found me within hours of being on the ship!

I have heard anywhere from groups of 10 to 25 of Epic sailings, but I do not think there have been instances from reading these boards of 75 people for example or 100 participating. Many people in the studios are with families still.

But, in general there was a nice amount of people to socialize with during the week.

Being a huge baseball stat fan, and taking stats as one of my careers; my hunch for the breakaway would be perhaps a dozen solo travellers would attend events; I would hope for it to be more.

Being that the Breakaway is pricier, I wondering if it would draw married couples who would then have a parent stay in a studio.

Again, I won't make my final payment until I read 7 reviews.

I bet that was a fairly boring game for you to attend. That was a great defensive game. I think Cardinals fans were surprised we took the series, but it got overshadowed by games 3, 6 and 7 of the World Series that year. I actually bought the entire box set of the World Series.

A Ryan Howard shirt is a great shirt to wear. I'm a big fan of his. We went to the same college.... At different times.

I think I read somewhere that the Epic was more expensive at first and prices dropped some. I'm hoping the same will be true for the Breakaway.

Thanks everyone!! I will keep in mind that I can always move tables if I need too. And if all else fails I can eat in the Windjammer if I had too.

I can't switch days because flight are already purchased. Too bad....

Is there anything else I need to know as far as cruising solo? Or just relax and enjoy. I'm thinking about doing a snorkeling ship excursion in Nassau and just a beach day in CoCo Cay.

Thanks in advance!!

I did a solo cruise and my favorite part of the trip was having a beach day at CoCo Cay! I was on one of the first tenders and found a perfect spot on Barefoot Beach with a lounge chair and umbrella. The waiters walk around selling a delicious rum drink called a Cocoloco. :) Get there early if you can because the beaches fill up pretty quickly. Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

I have traveled solo a few times and the only thing I don't enjoy is having dinner or specialty dinning alone.

I want to write a review this time so I plan on taking a small journal to dinner with me and if I am alone or sitting at a table with people who are not engaging, I will take time to write in my journal about my day, what I have ordered, etc.

Have a great time.

Just booked my first solo cruise on the Enchantment out of Port Canaveral on Sept 23rd. I know it's a long shot but any other solo cruisers going? I did join the roll call but thought I'd ask here too. My one fear is dressing up to go to the dining room and eating by myself. I requested a large table but who knows what I'll end up with. I think I'll be fine in every other aspect. I'm married to a great man with 2 girls and work full time' date=' so I have very little "me" time and am so looking forward to it.[/quote']

Cruisin, come to the meet and greet we are having at 3:00 pm at the Oasis Bar on pool deck. Also come and join our forum.

I am going with a group of friends but solo as well. Usually solos are seated with other solos for dinner.

Also should you not have interactive tablemates we can always find room for one more at our table

Don't be nervous - dinner is a good place to meet people. I've always been seated with interesting people, although the mix varies from cruise to cruise. On my first solo, I was at a table with 5 other solos, 2 of whom never showed, and one of who was only there occasionally -- but the three of us had great conversation and the best service I've ever had on a cruise before or since.

My second solo trip I was at an early seating 12 seat table with two pairs and 7 other solos, almost all showing up every night. Great setup. Third trip I was sat with a couple and a trio, and again had great companions.

My most recent solo was kind of weird - I'd forgotten I prefer early seating on solo trips (I do late seating always when traveling with friends...), and ended up at an 8 seat table... and only 1 other person showed. The other six had shifted to early seating. My companion had decided to shift to early seating as well, and the Maitre'd came over and made a point of arranging a new seating for me with a couple and a trio for the rest of the cruise. In retrospect, I probably should have shifted to early seating as well, but I still enjoyed it.

So don't worry too much -- even if you end up with a situation you don't like the first night, talk to the Maitre'd -- they'll switch you to something much more to your liking.

Cruisin, come to the meet and greet we are having at 3:00 pm at the Oasis Bar on pool deck. Also come and join our forum.

I am going with a group of friends but solo as well. Usually solos are seated with other solos for dinner.

Also should you not have interactive tablemates we can always find room for one more at our table

Moonpie- thank you so much for the offer. I did ask to be seated with other solos but you never know how it's going to work out. I will keep this in mind if I don't feel comfortable at the table I'm assigned. I am signed up on the roll call, it's just been really quiet on there so far. I'm sure it will pick up as we get closer. I will definetly be at the meet and mingle.

I just looked on our roll call and I don't see you on there and there hasn't been a meet and greet set up yet. Are there two roll calls going? I looked and couldn't find another one. Maybe different date or ship?? I'm on the Enchanment on RCCL on Sept 23rd. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I just looked on our roll call and I don't see you on there and there hasn't been a meet and greet set up yet. Are there two roll calls going? I looked and couldn't find another one. Maybe different date or ship?? I'm on the Enchanment on RCCL on Sept 23rd. Thanks!

Cruisin1, I owe you a big apology... I misread your date and thought you were with us on this upcoming cruise on APR 23rd.... All I saw was the 23rd..... I am so sorry..... But the invite would still be open if you were on there in Apr

Just off Legend before she went to Europe. I'm going to start doing Your Time dining--the people at my table were just horribly boring! There was a mother and her 17 y/o daughter who had dietary restrictions and ate like a bunny rabbit, nibbling her food. A lady with a thick southern accent who talked about all the guys she was meeting, a lady who was in the Legends show as Glorida Estefan and was the worst of all the performers. We had all been cheering her on but...Could barely hear her and when you could, you didn't want to.

We really had little in common. The mom and the southern lady were teachers and talked for 40 minutes about elementary school kids names. It would bring you to tears.

I'm wondering what other solos who have done Your Time think of it.

Archived