RCI Adventure Southern / Nov 2015 Video

pyroguy

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed this very much. I also like your Breeze, video, too. I have a reservation for Sand Castle and it's nice to see a vid of it.

Did you use a GoPro? If so, did you use filters for the underwater video?

Thanks!!!

Edited by Herrbeir

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed this very much. I also like your Breeze, video, too. I have a reservation for Sand Castle and it's nice to see a vid of it.

Did you use a GoPro? If so, did you use filters for the underwater video?

Thanks!!!

Thanks.

All of the underwater and timelapse shots were done using the GoPro. I used the shallow Backscatter flip filter system. I like that system because you can easily remove the filter if you want. I didn't have it for the Breeze video, and you can tell the red tint in a few of them.

The filter is awesome for underwater video. It makes the colors so much more vibrant!

For the timelapse shots, I built my own magnetic ball-mount for the gopro and just stuck the camera to the side of the ship whenever I wanted to do a sequence (we had a balcony room). I usually used a 3-second interval for those.

Loved it....Great job!!

Thanks for sharing your tip on the Backscatter Flip filter. The color and clarity really is amazing!!

Would you mind posting a link to the one you purchased?

There seems to be so many to choose from and I would like to get the one you have. :)

Loved it....Great job!!

Thanks for sharing your tip on the Backscatter Flip filter. The color and clarity really is amazing!!

Would you mind posting a link to the one you purchased?

There seems to be so many to choose from and I would like to get the one you have. :)

Sure. There's 2 parts to it. First, the main kit...however it includes the DIVE filter only. You can't buy it with the shallow snorkeling filter. Second, you need to also add the SHALLOW filter, it's an extra $19.99.

http://www.backscatter.com/sku/ff-1kit.lasso

Just to let you know, when I got them, it appeared the shallow filter was DARKER than the dive one. I even took a picture and questioned BackScatter about it. They replied to me that the dive is more orange where the shallow is more red, and that I got the correct ones.

Also, ALWAYS use the filter when underwater. Even if looking at it appears red. Trust me. I was going back and forth using it and then not...when I got home and started going thru usable footage, on the big screen only the ones taken with the filter in place were good.

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Shoot me a message when you get some video so I can see it too ;-)

Thanks again for the great information and tips!!

You can expect another cruise video from me sometime in July. :)

Hope this isn't a dumb question but did you use the backscatter filter out of water? The reason I ask is the thumbnail photo that you have for the video is ultra sharp with vivid colors.

Thanks again for the great information and tips!!

You can expect another cruise video from me sometime in July. :)

Hope this isn't a dumb question but did you use the backscatter filter out of water? The reason I ask is the thumbnail photo that you have for the video is ultra sharp with vivid colors.

Are you kidding? I've seen your talent. I know you're not asking a dumb question!

No, in this current video i'm not using the filter on anything above water. The vivid colors that you are seeing is from Adobe After Effects. I run a lens-correction/distortion removal tool as well as some color correction/sharpening on all of my video pieces. (my previous video called Caribbean Breeze - you can see the filter in above water videos...I wasn't using a removable filter on those).

In addition, I took A LOT of timelapse photos on this cruise - almost 20k. I used Adobe Lightroom / Adobe Camera Raw to BULK color correct and crop (16:9) my photos. My best friend was "Apply to All" on still images once I get the exposure/lens-correction/clarity/vivid/saturation/white balance all done on one of them.

It's a simliar process - although not quite as powerful - when doing it with After Effects and/or Premier Pro.

My other best friend was Premier Pro's "Warp Stabilizer" function. Probably 3/4 of the clips in my video have that done to them to some extent. Holding a DSLR camera steady on a speeding boat in the ocean makes for bad shaky video without it.