Where to stay in Venice in relation to airport & port??

krysti0423

I leave for my cruise on June 3, 2011 out of Venice. I will be leaving my home, Washington, DC on June 1st to arrive early so my husband and I can stay in Venice from the 2nd-3rd. Where are some really great hotels to stay that are still $200 or less US? Also, I am not sure where the cruise dock is, is it near the airport? I just need to know where is a good place to stay so we won't be all over the place from airport to hotel to port.

Thanks ;)

Hi! We are going to Venice 2 days prior to our cruise also and chose to stay at Hotel Canal Grande (more than $200/day). I'm not good at converting $ into euros but the hotel charges $350 euros/nite. This hotel is on the Grand Canal and close to the cruise ship's dock. They offer some amenities that other hotels don't and have been more than gracious in answering our questions and making arrangements from the airport to their front door. You will also receive a free boat trip to the island where the Murano glass factory is blown.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your voyage! :)

I leave for my cruise on June 3, 2011 out of Venice. I will be leaving my home, Washington, DC on June 1st to arrive early so my husband and I can stay in Venice from the 2nd-3rd. Where are some really great hotels to stay that are still $200 or less US? Also, I am not sure where the cruise dock is, is it near the airport? I just need to know where is a good place to stay so we won't be all over the place from airport to hotel to port.

Thanks ;)

You might have noticed the previous post where they are staying at a lovely hotel, but it will cost them about $450 a night. There are many decent hotels in Venice for under $200. The most convenient for cruises are hotels located in or close to the Piazale Roma because you can take the airport bus from the terminal to the Piazale Roma for only a few Euros (as opposed to spending over 90 Euros to get a water taxi to many hotels). The Piazale Roma is also very close to the port and you can get there by taking a land taxi (about 10 Euros) or you can use the new overhead People Mover (a couple of Euros) assuming that you can handle your own luggage. Some of the cruise lines also provide a free shuttle bus from the Piazale Roma to the cruise port. Our personal favorite hotel in this area is called the Ca Doge (about 100 Euros a night) which is a small European style hotel. There is no elevator in this hotel so you might have to climb 2 or 3 flights. Another popular hotel in that same area is the Best Western Olimpia. If you stay in or near the Piazale Roma you can easily walk to the large vaporetto dock where you can grab the vaporettos (water buses) to nearly anywhere around Venice or to the other islands in the Lagoon. The Vaporetto Office (ACTV) in the Piazale Roma also sells one day or multi-day use tickets which are a good deal if you plan on using the vaporettos.

Hank

You will also receive a free boat trip to the island where the Murano glass factory is blown.

You know what they say about nothing in life being free ... many (most?) hotels in Venice have this "benefit", as these trips are not run by the hotels but by the glass marketers. They are not at your convenience, and can come with some significant sales pressure.

You know what they say about nothing in life being free ... many (most?) hotels in Venice have this "benefit", as these trips are not run by the hotels but by the glass marketers. They are not at your convenience, and can come with some significant sales pressure.

It is much better to go to Murano on your own. If you buy a 12,24,36 hour or more on the Vaporetto Murano is included. You can catch a Vaporetto a short way from St Marks. Also note that most glass blowers take a 2 hour lunch break.

My husband and I are going on a cruise on June 18 out of Venice we are booked at The Antony Hotel near the airport when I looked online and read about it I think we will like it. The price is 166.91 pp we looked at The Carlton Grand Canal and the price was 363.94pp. That is why we took the Antony. The one thing I wish we could do is fly out of the DC area non stop to Vinice. Oh well you can't have everything.

We kept our fingers silent on this subject because our first thought was to post that the hotel should pay the customer to take those "free" trips. We kind of view them like the Time Share sales folks in Mexico :)

Hank

You might have noticed the previous post where they are staying at a lovely hotel, but it will cost them about $450 a night. There are many decent hotels in Venice for under $200. The most convenient for cruises are hotels located in or close to the Piazale Roma because you can take the airport bus from the terminal to the Piazale Roma for only a few Euros (as opposed to spending over 90 Euros to get a water taxi to many hotels). The Piazale Roma is also very close to the port and you can get there by taking a land taxi (about 10 Euros) or you can use the new overhead People Mover (a couple of Euros) assuming that you can handle your own luggage. Some of the cruise lines also provide a free shuttle bus from the Piazale Roma to the cruise port. Our personal favorite hotel in this area is called the Ca Doge (about 100 Euros a night) which is a small European style hotel. There is no elevator in this hotel so you might have to climb 2 or 3 flights. Another popular hotel in that same area is the Best Western Olimpia. If you stay in or near the Piazale Roma you can easily walk to the large vaporetto dock where you can grab the vaporettos (water buses) to nearly anywhere around Venice or to the other islands in the Lagoon. The Vaporetto Office (ACTV) in the Piazale Roma also sells one day or multi-day use tickets which are a good deal if you plan on using the vaporettos.

Hank

Dear Hank,

I just booked a May cruise starting in Venice and was looking for similar information. My ship is scheduled to be docked at San Basilio which I understand to be the "small" ship cruise pier, rather than the main cruise terminal. Do you know if this would also be reachable by land taxi from one of your recommended hotels? I'm traveling alone and would be hauling my suitcase myself.

Thanks.

I just booked a May cruise starting in Venice and was looking for similar information. My ship is scheduled to be docked at San Basilio which I understand to be the "small" ship cruise pier, rather than the main cruise terminal. Do you know if this would also be reachable by land taxi from one of your recommended hotels? I'm traveling alone and would be hauling my suitcase myself.

Yes, San Basilio can be reached by land taxi.

IMHO if you have two days its worth the convenience and magic to be in central Venice. You can beat the magic of one of any small or larger ( but expensive ) hotels in centeral Venice. I'd pick something in San Marco.

We did this on our stay, you can't beat the experience if you can swallow the cost.

People gripe about the cost but just put the two nights cost in prospective to the cost of airline/cruise and other costs. You might save 100/night staying near the airport or port but with that you lose a little magic etc.

As hlitner stated, the Piazalle Roma area is very convenient to the pier, to airport buses and also the Grand Canal. This link provides some hotel names in the PR area. It also suggests Venere.com for other hotel searches. venere and most sites now offer a map search which enables you to drill down on a specific area you're interested in. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Archived