Ft. Lauderdale to Miami?

absolutonrox

Does anyone have experience flying into/staying in Ft. Lauderdale, then cruising from Miami? Flights for me seem to be cheaper to fly into FLL than MIA, so I'm debating if that is a better option than flying into and staying in Miami. Also have a relative in Ft.L that we could potentially stay with, but 2 car services I looked at won't pick us up at his house and take us to Port of Miami. Has anyone looked at a similar situation before? If so, what did you end up doing? Also, are hotels in Miami always so expensive? I don't really want to pay $300 for a hotel that I'll likely spend less than 16 hours in.

If you look down the board, you will see many threads on your topics. Yes, hotels in Miami are expensive. If you are talking about your Caribbean cruise in 95 days- you are getting into peak Florida season.

If you stay in FLL, have your family member drop you at a hotel the shuttles service.

If you look down the board, you will see many threads on your topics. Yes, hotels in Miami are expensive. If you are talking about your Caribbean cruise in 95 days- you are getting into peak Florida season.

If you stay in FLL, have your family member drop you at a hotel the shuttles service.

Or at FLL airport to catch the shuttle (whichever is more convenient). Read recommendations of shuttle companies on this board (they include SAS, Go Airport, MJS, QLS).

Depending upon how many are travelling together, a limo or car service may be cheaper - Go Airport, Larry's Limos, John's Car service and Holland Limo are often suggested FLL/Miami options.

Taxi from the FLL airport to downtown Miami/POM will run about $75-80 on the meter.

Thanks. I had checked a couple of the other car services suggested on these boards (SAS & QLS) but neither would give me a quote from a residential address to PoM. They said they could not do it. Granted, this was in email so I was considering calling to see if they actually would do it or not, but hadn't gotten around to that yet. I will definitely check out the other services you mentioned. I also wasn't sure if it would be better/easier to look for car services in Miami, or in Ft.L, or if it mattered either way.

Thanks. I had checked a couple of the other car services suggested on these boards (SAS & QLS) but neither would give me a quote from a residential address to PoM. They said they could not do it. Granted, this was in email so I was considering calling to see if they actually would do it or not, but hadn't gotten around to that yet. I will definitely check out the other services you mentioned. I also wasn't sure if it would be better/easier to look for car services in Miami, or in Ft.L, or if it mattered either way.

If you could get to Fort Lauderdale airport to catch a shuttle to the P of M, then that would probably be the best and cheapest way to go. Just a suggestion, then you could use SAS or Go Shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

We just cruised out of Miami and stayed in FLL. I used Priceline to get Cambria Inn & Suites by the airport for $78 before taxes. I think it came to just under $90 total. Not much in the way of restaurants but we found a Subway sandwich shop a few blocks away then walked another 2 blocks to find a local gas station selling bottled wine. DW found 2 bottles of wine she liked and it was under $24 for both. We were very satisfied wit the room, quiet and comfortable. They had a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, we waited all of 10 minutes for the shuttle. We used Jiffy Jeff shuttle to pick us up at the hotel then drop us off at the airport when we returned. $15 per person each way. I'd use them again. :cool:

If you are trying to save some money, Miami has a pretty darn reliable train service that will get you from either Fort Lauderdale airport or Palm Beach Airport to a stop that is within a short cab/bus ride to the cruiseport. This might not directly address your overnight stay, but could help with transportation the day of your cruise.

Here's a link: http://www.walktomycruiseship.com/miami.htm

We've flown in to Fort Lauderdale and followed these directions to get from the airport to Miami Cruiseport. It may look a little complex, but it really wasn't...actually pretty easy (and cheap!). We are small-town people, but we took our time and it was actually a fairly comfortable way to get from FLL to Miami Cruiseport. Same basic directions work for Palm Beach Airport.

Can find Tri Rail schedules here: http://www.tri-rail.com/train-schedules/stm_wday.asp

Edited by LarBear