Best Sea Sick Meds

Klala

My husband and I are going on our first cruise and in preparation for our cruise (Voyager - Dubai to Athens) I'd like to know what medication is preferred for anti-nausea/sea sickness. We are from Canada, but just moved to the USA and not familiar with OTC meds here. Thanks!

My DH tends to get a little seasickness/nausea when asea, but a nurse friend of ours told him to take Bonine (OTC) two to three days BEFORE getting on the ship, so that it gets into your system, and it works for him just fine...even on those "rough" days. For our trans-atlantic voyage coming up on the Mariner, he has already bought the Bonine, plus the ginger gum. He did get a prescription for anti-nausea meds, just in case, but not sure what it is. Linda & Larry in NJ

Bonine works just fine. Go to your local pharmacy and buy an "off-brand" which is cheaper.

If you do have additional worries, just google "sea sickness remedies" and you fill find a menu of options to consider. I have taken the Mariner trans Atlantic in both directions and never had a problem on multiple voyages (or course, better to be prepared in the event of nasty weather).

Klala: Do you have problems with sea sickness or do you get sick when in a moving vehicle ? If not, and it's just precautionary, take a look at those pressure bands

http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-Queaz-Away-Wrist-Band/dp/B000N9L926/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1330993783&sr=8-5

they seem to help a lot of people by working the pressure points (accupressure). My wife used them during one of our cruises and liked them. We now take them with us just in case. It's a one time investment, won't spoil and doesn't interfere with any other meds or "intakes".

Just an idea

We have almost everything possible with us to avoid seasickness:D First we have an electronic wrist band and a regular wrist band. Then we have Bonine and Dramamine. Since they can can make you sleepy, we take only 1/4 of a Bonine when the seas appear to be acting up (also wearing wrist band(s) We also get Stugeron 15 from England (via the web). If the seas are really rough, we take 1/4 of a tablet every 8 hours. We make sure to pick up some ginger candy outside of CR and P-7 and Signatures in the evening. In our 13+ cruises, my DH got seasick once -- on the Navigator when it caught us off guard. Other than that one time, we have never come close to being seasick.

If I had to pick one product, it would be Stugeron 15 along with an electronic wrist band (Relief Band as mentioned by tallship.) Unfortunately, they do not seem to be making them any more.

Stugeron 15 can be purchased online from Canada (without prescription) at this site http://www.canadadrugsonline.com/

Wes - Although I have been a major fan of Scopace pills for a number of years, it appears that the product has been discontinued by its manufacturer. My pharmacist can't find it anywhere; and when it's googled, all the chatter is about its no longer being available. If you have a source, please let us know, as it's a great product.

I consider it far superior to the scopolamine patch even though it has the same active ingredient, scopolamine. The patch must be started well before it's needed in order to get into the system, whereas Scopace takes effect within an hour or two. Further, unlike the patch, the Scopace side effects (dry mouth, drowsiness) go away within hours of discontinuing the product. Finally, the patch is ugly and not in the slightest esthetic. ;)

Scopace patches are still available as far as I know. I prescribed one last week. We often use them for post op nausea.

I do carry some meclizine (Bonine) on voyages. However, in 11 regent voyages, plus 4 others on different lines, I have never taken it. Sometimes I have felt the sea a little, but nothing just lying down and taking a rest wouldn't fix. I keep carrying the Bonine thinking maybe someday I will need it. Truly the only times I have been seasick are on small fishing boats. And I am not particularly tough.

My wife, who has had some instances of sea sickness, has had good success with the scopolamine patch. As mentioned above, it requires a prescription from your doctor, but you just put the very small band-aid patch behind your ear once every several days and you're all set.

-- Eric

Wes - Although I have been a major fan of Scopace pills for a number of years, it appears that the product has been discontinued by its manufacturer. My pharmacist can't find it anywhere; and when it's googled, all the chatter is about its no longer being available. If you have a source, please let us know, as it's a great product.

I consider it far superior to the scopolamine patch even though it has the same active ingredient, scopolamine. The patch must be started well before it's needed in order to get into the system, whereas Scopace takes effect within an hour or two. Further, unlike the patch, the Scopace side effects (dry mouth, drowsiness) go away within hours of discontinuing the product. Finally, the patch is ugly and not in the slightest esthetic. ;)

Rachel, can you tell us the difference between the patch and the pill? I seem to remember years ago hearing awful side effects from the patch, dry mouth, strange dreams, and even "awake" and "continuing" things. I've never tried the patch, but took the Scopace pill before really rough seas, and it worked. I usually just do with the meclazine (same as bonine) offered at reception when there are just "mild" seas that might bother me. I used the Scopace pill during my trip to Antarctica when we had really rough seas, coming and going.

I am delighted to know that Bonine is an OTC drug in the US. (Have never heard of it here but have many times heard people say how effective it is!). I shall get some before we board the mariner!

We use a chewing gum called "Trawell". And a pill called "Itinerol B" which is prescription only here in Switzerland. We cannot get the Scolpamine patch - illegal here but our doctor doesn't know why!!

I also use, extensively, "Sea Bands" which I buy at Boots in the UK. These are a sort of wrist band with a piece of plastic in them which is to be put over a certain part of the wrist. Apparently this is a pressure point thing, a buit like acupuncture. I find these work very well for minor seasickness but it is better to have them on before the sea gets rough!! (If yu can!)

I am grateful for this thread as I had forgotten to put any of these things out to pack!! Now they are on the counter. Thank you VERY much, Klala!!

Some folks we were on Mariner with in December were able to find the Relief Band (older version) online. The newer version is now manufactured by someone else and the batteries are not replaceable. Do a search for the original version and purchase one. I think they bought it from a supplier overseas (perhaps Australia). It has worked for me on every cruise where I have felt I'll and begins working in just a few minutes, and is non-drowsy

Both the Scopace pill and the patch are sustained release; however, the patch seems to be much slower and steady rate of release. Therefore, the total blood levels of scopalamine are probably much lower and have fewer side effects (dry mouth, dizziness, feeling spaced out or sleepy). I have never personally tried either, but my sister uses the patch when she gets on planes and seems to have little side effects.

Freddie, you're right, alas, scopace has been discontinued since early last summer. Checked with Scubaboard, a poster found that according to Craig Sherman, MD, who is the Medical Director at Hope Pharmaceutical (made the Scopace pill) , it has been discontinued due to a disruption in their supply. Also, checked with our pharmacist today--she confirmed scopace no longer available. However, one poster on Scubaboard may have found a source: "if anybody is looking for scopace tablets- it is not made anymore however Steven's Pharmacy Costa Mesa ,Ca tel 800-352-3784 can compound the scopoloamine 0.4mg into a capsule form as long as you have a prescription from your physician." Called Steven's Pharmacy this morning--but there are on West Coast time. May be worth a call to see if they can provide a scopace in pill form--but the cost may be prohibitive.

We do have the scopalamine patch in case of emergency. I prefer using other methods as I had side effects from the patch. My pupil in my right eye dialiated and made me look extremely weird (so I moved the patch to the left side to make them even:-) Also had dry mouth, headache and felt generally unwell. I Googled "side effects of scopalamine patch" and came up with the following:

SIDE EFFECTS: Blurred vision and widened pupils may occur as your body adjusts to the medication. Dry mouth, drowsiness, dizziness, decreased sweating, constipation, and mild itching/redness on application site may also occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

To relieve dry mouth, suck on (sugarless) hard candy or ice chips, chew (sugarless) gum, drink water, or use a saliva substitute.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Remove the patch and tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: mental/mood changes, difficulty urinating, eye problems (e.g., pain/pressure/reddening of the eyes along with widened pupils), fast/irregular heartbeat, severe drowsiness, voice changes (e.g., hoarseness).After stopping this medication, you may experience dizziness, loss of balance, nausea/vomiting, headache, muscle weakness, or slow heartbeat. If these effects occur, they usually appear 24 hours or more after you stop this medication. This is a result of your body adjusting to being off the medication

My husband’s doctor prescribed a patch, which is also put behind the ear, in 2010 when we sailed on the Mariner in Alaska. He is very prone to seasickness. I don’t know if it was the same prescription as is mentioned in this thread but it made him very ill. We trooped down to see the ship’s doctor while in Sitka. This doctor said some of the side effects can be very severe, thus he no longer makes it available for the crew. I would imagine an adverse reaction might depend on what other regimental medications one is taking.

I get very seasick and have tried the wrist bands and OTC medicines but none of them work for me. We went on a Regent cruise in 2009, 2010 and 2011. In 2009 we went to Alaska and went on helicopter rides and float planes. I would never have survived those activities without the patch. It looks like a small round flesh colored bandaid that goes behind your ear. It is hardly noticeable. I have used this for every cruise and it has been a life saver for me. One patch lasts for 72 hours, so you have to change it a few times and it is a prescription. I would suggest trying one before your trip and making sure it works and that you have no side effects. I had none.

Archived