What if your flight drops in price?

Dave4120

Someone told me that in Europe people use the terms non-stop and direct interchangeably, while in the U.S. direct means no change of planes (i.e., all non-stops are direct but not all direct flights are non-stop). Southwest Airlines uses the term "no change of planes" for a direct flight that is not non-stop.

Someone told me that in Europe people use the terms non-stop and direct interchangeably, while in the U.S. direct means no change of planes (i.e., all non-stops are direct but not all direct flights are non-stop). Southwest Airlines uses the term "no change of planes" for a direct flight that is not non-stop.

Confusing. A direct flight simply means the flight keeps the same flight number throughout all the legs; you can have a plane change.

That may be a colloquialism, but "direct" and "non-stop" are terms of art in the airline industry worldwide and mean specific things that are quite distinct.

As far as I am concerned, I don't care about colloquialism by the masses....if there is a specific technical term that means something, I use it.

One USA/non-USA term that is also frequently brought up is "return" vs "round-trip". Again, "round-trip" is a term of art, while "return" is colloquial for R/T in both Europe and Canada.

That may be a colloquialism, but "direct" and "non-stop" are terms of art in the airline industry worldwide and mean specific things that are quite distinct.

As far as I am concerned, I don't care about colloquialism by the masses....if there is a specific technical term that means something, I use it.

One USA/non-USA term that is also frequently brought up is "return" vs "round-trip". Again, "round-trip" is a term of art, while "return" is colloquial for R/T in both Europe and Canada.

The "return" term seems to be pretty ubiquitous in the Commonwealth. I know Australia uses it, as does India. I basically use "return" anywhere outside of the US to be safe.

A direct flight simply means the flight keeps the same flight number throughout all the legs; you can have a plane change.
If there's a "direct" flight that involves an aircraft change, I prefer the colloquialism of "flight number fraud".

Particularly as an A-B-C direct flight of this kind can see the B-C flight depart B before the A-B flight has arrived at B, if the A-B flight is delayed. In substance, it's no different from a connection.

The "return" term seems to be pretty ubiquitous in the Commonwealth. I know Australia uses it, as does India. I basically use "return" anywhere outside of the US to be safe.
I think this is a genuine linguistic difference.

In the UK and many Commonwealth countries, one can buy a "single" or a "return" ticket. (SailorJack, whose reviews you may have read here, once asked why he should need to buy a single ticket when he's married.)

In the US, these would be "one-way" and "round-trip". The US usage is the norm in the airline industry, so I have taken to using these terms when talking about air travel.

In the US, these would be "one-way" and "round-trip". The US usage is the norm in the airline industry, so I have taken to using these terms when talking about air travel.
Someday, the rest of you blokes will also see the light and come around....:D :D

Who was it who said something about one people, separated by a common language?

Edited by FlyerTalker

If there's a "direct" flight that involves an aircraft change, I prefer the colloquialism of "flight number fraud".

Particularly as an A-B-C direct flight of this kind can see the B-C flight depart B before the A-B flight has arrived at B, if the A-B flight is delayed. In substance, it's no different from a connection.

Taking your example one step farther, the A-B and B-C flights will have the same flight number on the passenger-facing side of the airline. However, if A-B and B-C are not on the same aircraft and B-C departs before A-B arrives, B-C is assigned a different operational flight number. It would be a serious safety issue if both flights "Ace Airways 234" are in the air, even worse if they are in the same sector of airspace on the same radio frequency.

Some airlines pre-assign a "placeholder" operating flight number so their flight ops and ATC are all set in case A-B is delayed. Other airlines only do this when it actually happens.

Edited by kenish

Since you are "new" to flying, welcome to your first lesson. When looking up airfares, take the one you are most comfortable with price wise, and schedule wise, then book it and if it's non refundable....just stop looking.

That way is madness :p

Honestly, it will drive you crazy. Now, if your cruise price drops and it's before final payment, then call your TA stat!

Regarding Delta's policies; I am certainly no expert, but on my upcoming return flt from Barbados to Seattle; Delta cancelled my late evening connection thru ATL (which I originally booked because it fit my schedule so well). With the new flt I would have had less than 30 mins to connect from an international flt to domestic. Since the change was more than a 2 hour difference, I was able to call and change to another flight for no charge. I think the policy is at least 2 hours, but I'm not totally sure of that.

The only tip I can give someone who needs to make a change on Delta is to call the Sky Miles assistance line as opposed to the regular customer service number. I feel I got better service that way. (Honestly, even if you are not a member, it might be worth it to join before having to make that call)

The only tip I can give someone who needs to make a change on Delta is to call the Sky Miles assistance line as opposed to the regular customer service number. I feel I got better service that way. (Honestly, even if you are not a member, it might be worth it to join before having to make that call)

Unless you have elite status with DL, calling that SkyMiles number just gives you to the same general reservation agents that you would get by simply calling reservations. In fact, there are different numbers for the different elite levels.

So you maybe just got a better agent.