Crown, fire and wind.....

MSH from Norway

First we had an electric fire on emerald deck, with lot of smoke on several places abord the ship a cople a days of, and a cople of cabins with lot of water in, and several filled with smok, and now captain crach are "promising" us bad wheater and a lot of heavy wind.

But beside fire and wind, the cruise in mediterien is very good.............

First we had an electric fire on emerald deck, with lot of smoke on several places abord the ship a cople a days of, and a cople of cabins with lot of water in, and several filled with smok, and now captain crach are "promising" us bad wheater and a lot of heavy wind.

Bon Voyage!

So sorry for the chaos on your trip but glad you are having a good time.

Have a great cruise. Love rock'n and roll'n on a ship... :)

Small fires are not as unusual on ships as people think. There's so much electrical equipment and other things that can spark a fire. I was on a HAL ship a few years ago and the transformer for the Lido buffet cooler blew, causing a fire. We were awakened at 2am by a general alarm as a precaution even though the fire was put out quickly. It would be interesting to find out what caused the Crown fire.

Have a great cruise. Love rock'n and roll'n on a ship... :)

Small fires are not as unusual on ships as people think. There's so much electrical equipment and other things that can spark a fire. I was on a HAL ship a few years ago and the transformer for the Lido buffet cooler blew, causing a fire. We were awakened at 2am by a general alarm as a precaution even though the fire was put out quickly. It would be interesting to find out what caused the Crown fire.

We were on the Maasdam for B2B cruises two years ago and had a fire on each cruise (plus there was a fire on the cruise before we joined). All were electrical in nature and one forced us from our cabin (it was right around the corner) for several hours.

It happens, and it usually doesn't turn into a tragedy. While I'd prefer these things don't happen, it's funny how they're the sorts of things that we most remember years later.

We were on the Crown spring ta when we were adrift for over an hour with no power. I was in the gym and all of a sudden heard a loud POP, I could tell it was electrical, then everything shut down!!! ---- Happens! The Crown has had a very unlucky year.

"The reason for the fire was wrong usage of electrical tools in the cabin by one of the guests." Hello! How avoidable was that. <sigh>

I wonder if we'll find out what the 'tools' were. They should publicize it so when folks on this board insist on bringing appliances that are explicitly forbidden, this incident can be cited.

Thanks.

"The reason for the fire was wrong usage of electrical tools in the cabin by one of the guests." Hello! How avoidable was that. <sigh>

I wonder if we'll find out what the 'tools' were. They should publicize it so when folks on this board insist on bringing appliances that are explicitly forbidden, this incident can be cited.

I can only wonder if the "tool" was a home hire dryer, coffee pot or curling iron? I can't see to many people bringing on a sander or power saw. :rolleyes:

I can only wonder if the "tool" was a home hire dryer, coffee pot or curling iron? I can't see to many people bringing on a sander or power saw. :rolleyes:
A hair dryer or curling iron don't draw enough power. It could be as simple as a coffee pot or even someone bringing a power strip and overloading it.

We also had a fire on the 6/17 sailing, just after we had left the dock in Venice. It turned out to be one of the electrical panels on deck 15, but the smoke traveled down to the engine rooms and was cause for great alarm. We sat dead in the water for about a half hour while the crew investigated the fire. Saw crew running around in lifejackets and they looked downright panicked - was very scary to see. Thankfully we were a stone's throw from the dock, so if anything was seriously wrong, the captain would have just maneuvered us back to the pier. After the fire was investigated, we sailed off and had no more incidents for the rest of the trip. But that memory of how genuinely scared the crew looked will stick with me for a long time.

Agree with the other posters - the Crown has had a very unlucky year.

We were on the Crown spring ta when we were adrift for over an hour with no power. I was in the gym and all of a sudden heard a loud POP, I could tell it was electrical, then everything shut down!!! ---- Happens! The Crown has had a very unlucky year.

I was on that trip--it wasn't that long at all. May have seemed like it, but it wasn't.

Thanks.

Good to hear no one was hurt including the village idiots that were probably using a coffee maker in their cabin.

I wonder where the passengers from that cabin slept that night and other passengers whose cabins may have been affected.

Gee, I don't know, but I'd like to think that if someone sets fire to the ship, the powers-that-be don't go out of their way to reaccommodate that person. I'm sure there's an empty lounger on deck the firebug can use, until they're removed at the next port.

I was on that trip--it wasn't that long at all. May have seemed like it, but it wasn't.

It is sort of amazing how long lack of power can seem. When on the Star, we lost power and I have no clue how long but it wasn't long in the scope of things. Well - it is amazing how hot the rooms get when the air conditioning is not working. It is also amazing how many steps it is from Deck 5 up to whatever Deck my cabin was on! Thankfully it was resolved within a reasonable amount of time but it felt like forever.

Good luck to all on the Crown.

Good to hear no one was hurt including the village idiots that were probably using a coffee maker in their cabin.

or unapproved power strip that so many here on CC brag about taking, using and "never had a problem"

or unapproved power strip that so many here on CC brag about taking, using and "never had a problem"

One would think that a UL-certified strip with a circuit breaker should be safe, no?

A hair dryer or curling iron don't draw enough power. It could be as simple as a coffee pot or even someone bringing a power strip and overloading it.

Or plugging one of those devices into the bathroom outlet "For shavers only"

Any device can short out & cause a fire - hair dryer, shaver and even a battery charger for your camera.

Or plugging one of those devices into the bathroom outlet "For shavers only"

That wouldn't cause anything to overload. Try overloading the outlet in the bathroom sometime & see how fast it pops the circuit breaker.

Archived