Century Dry-Dock..Straight from the "horse's mouth"! :)

LuAnn

:) Just off the Century this AM...and spoke to the Hotel Director at the Captain's Club Cocktail Party 2 nights ago. We asked him directly about if and when the Century would be going into dry-dock and he said "In January '14 for ONE month". We also spoke to the Future Cruise rep and she said she had been told to sell no sailings to Hawaii for the month of Feb. '14.

SO...it looks like it is really going to happen!!! And with a full MONTH (which I'm sure they will need) it should be a major make over!!

This was our 3rd time on Century...and we really love the size and lay-out of the ship. But...it is well past the time of a major "re-hab". I would guess they will be up-dating pretty much everything...what a treat it will be to sail on her when she is all "done up"!!!! LuAnn

I was a little nervous when you mentioned that it was going to be in dry dock on Jan 15th. We are booked for a Panama Canal cruise on Jan 5th-20th. I was concerned so I just called Celebrity and asked them if they had heard when it would be going into dry dock and they stated that it was scheduled to go in three days from now. This is great news to hear. I talked to someone named Dalton. But then again you never know if that is the correct info. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about and he was very helpful and professional. It's nice to know that Celebrity has a wonderful staff working for them. :D

Thanks for the update.

Regarding the current state of the ship, what seemed to be the worst area?

We love the Aqua Spa Cafe, did you have lunch there? Grilled salmon or tuna?

Again thanks for the update.

If you are sailing before the dry dock here is what we saw/observed:

The public areas are showing wear and tear...and a really "outdated" look...but really pretty ok. The main wear and tear was in the cabin...when we first got to the room we thought the carpet had white "spots" on it...when looking closer we discovered that they were wear spots that were holes down to the padding. The "soft" furnishings in the cabin were old, tired, and frayed. (etc. bedspread, towels). The table and chairs on the balcony were all peeling...where the white paint was gone and the metal was showing. TV remote did not work. All "wood-work" was showing wear and tear...

Keep in mine...we still had a great time...and love the lay-out and size of the ship!! But it is more than ready...in fact we booked a T/P for 9/14 from SF to Sydney based on the fact that she will be "fresh" then!!

Please don't be put off by these comments...the staff and officers etc. were great!! Very helpful and kind...and concerned about your enjoyment!!!

When she is "brand new"...it will just be awesome!!! LuAnn

I was a little nervous when you mentioned that it was going to be in dry dock on Jan 15th. We are booked for a Panama Canal cruise on Jan 5th-20th. I was concerned so I just called Celebrity and asked them if they had heard when it would be going into dry dock and they stated that it was scheduled to go in three days from now. This is great news to hear. I talked to someone named Dalton. But then again you never know if that is the correct info. He seemed like he knew what he was talking about and he was very helpful and professional. It's nice to know that Celebrity has a wonderful staff working for them. :D

The OP stated that the Century would be going onto dry dock in January 14 but did not give a specific date in January 2014. Could be after your cruise.

I'm sorry you mis-read my statement...or I didn't type it right!! I said it was going into dry dock in Jan'14...the year of 2014 not Jan 14th. And...bless his heart....Dalton....Century is sitting in SD Harbor right now...ready to do an 8 day cruise up to Vancouver...and then do the Alaska season...sorry ...but Dalton doesn't have a clue!!! :eek: LuAnn

:) Just off the Century this AM...and spoke to the Hotel Director at the Captain's Club Cocktail Party 2 nights ago. We asked him directly about if and when the Century would be going into dry-dock and he said "In January '14 for ONE month". We also spoke to the Future Cruise rep and she said she had been told to sell no sailings to Hawaii for the month of Feb. '14.

LuAnn

we were on the same cruise....

In addition to what you found out when i was talking with Rich the cruise director he informed me that they are actually getting rid of the Crystal Room.. in order to add 100 spa staterooms...

In addition to what you found out when i was talking with Rich the cruise director he informed me that they are actually getting rid of the Crystal Room.. in order to add 100 spa staterooms...

100 state rooms? I can't see how that is possible but.... Sad to see that wonderful room go but they do not use it much so I can see why. I do hope they do not add too many rooms or there will be too many extra passengers for some areas of the ship. Looking forward to the news of what they are doing. We want to go on here 9/14 SF to Sydney but will wait for more news. We will be on here Dec. 6th before the changes. I plan to enjoy the Crystal room one last time.

That does seem highly unlikely, if you go up one deck there are around 52 cabins in the footprint of the Crystal lounge. If they put 100 cabins in there, they'll be really tiny. ;)

That does seem highly unlikely, if you go up one deck there are around 52 cabins in the footprint of the Crystal lounge. If they put 100 cabins in there, they'll be really tiny. ;)

Maybe not 100 cabins, but 50 cabins = 100 passengers

Don't hold your breath for "brand new". Almost every Celebrity or Royal ship going into drydock since the day the "Solcistisation" programme started has only had some new cabins added in what were public areas and/or additional money generating venues added. Apart from a repaint, new carpets in some public areas, and a de barnacle that's it.

Very little if anything, has been done to existing tired cabins, which on the "M" class and Century are well overdue for a strip out and refit.

If you are sailing before the dry dock here is what we saw/observed:

The public areas are showing wear and tear...and a really "outdated" look...but really pretty ok. The main wear and tear was in the cabin...when we first got to the room we thought the carpet had white "spots" on it...when looking closer we discovered that they were wear spots that were holes down to the padding. The "soft" furnishings in the cabin were old, tired, and frayed. (etc. bedspread, towels). The table and chairs on the balcony were all peeling...where the white paint was gone and the metal was showing. TV remote did not work. All "wood-work" was showing wear and tear...

Keep in mine...we still had a great time...and love the lay-out and size of the ship!! But it is more than ready...in fact we booked a T/P for 9/14 from SF to Sydney based on the fact that she will be "fresh" then!!

Please don't be put off by these comments...the staff and officers etc. were great!! Very helpful and kind...and concerned about your enjoyment!!!

This is extremely helpful. It wil set my expectations properly. We book inside cabins which is an indication that we really aren't "into" spending tons of time in the cabin. If we can get some good/ok bedding and towels, we're happy.

What about the Aqua Spa Cafe? How was it? Salmon and/or tuna? Anyone?

Thanks!

Just keep in mind that Celebrity's rumor mill including among those "in the know" is terrible and has been for years. During Celebrity's last drydock the big rumor was that it was going to be cut in half and stretched. Keep things in perspective and don't believe anything until you see a press release.

I am not doubting your info OP but this is what's listed on a internet TA for the Century for Jan/Feb 2014.

15 days Jan 5,2014 Fort Lauderdale, FL San Diego, CA Celebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,199

15 days Jan 20,2014San Diego, CA Fort Lauderdale, FLCelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,449

15 days Feb 4,2014Fort Lauderdale, FL Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,599

15 days Feb19,2014Los Angeles, CA Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,399

We are booked on the Century; San Diego, Dec 21st, 2013 to Ft Lauderdale, Jan 5th, 2014. If a January dry-dock is to take place, I would think it would be at the conclusion of our Panama Canal cruise and it would take place in Freeport, Bahamas. So a month long dry-dock would be Jan 6th -- Feb 4th, which would fit the beginning of the Ft Lauderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise.

By the way, we are also scheduled to cruise the Century April, 2014 (California Coastal cruise), so we may get a pre and post dry-dock experience.

What do others' think?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We are booked on the Century; San Diego, Dec 21st, 2013 to Ft Lauderdale, Jan 5th, 2014. If a January dry-dock is to take place, I would think it would be at the conclusion of our Panama Canal cruise and it would take place in Freeport, Bahamas. So a month long dry-dock would be Jan 6th -- Feb 4th, which would fit the beginning of the Ft Lauderdale to LA Panama Canal cruise.

By the way, we are also scheduled to cruise the Century April, 2014 (California Coastal cruise), so we may get a pre and post dry-dock experience.

What do others' think?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Kel, we're booked on the holiday eastbound Canal cruise, with you. I hope your predictions about ours being the very last cruise before dry-dock is not true. Not only would the ship be in the worst condition ever, but I've heard stories where the crew actually starts tearing things up, and closing areas off to the public, on those cruises. :eek:

This is extremely helpful. It wil set my expectations properly. We book inside cabins which is an indication that we really aren't "into" spending tons of time in the cabin. If we can get some good/ok bedding and towels, we're happy.

Thanks!

No cooked to order items in the Aqua Spa cafe anymore :( On previous ships/cruises this has been one of our favorite places but we found the offerings on Century very limited.

The maintenance staff is constantly, painting, varnishing and sprucing things up! She will certainly benefit from a dry dock but that wouldn't prevent me from booking another cruise before then. We cruised Hawaii RT and turned around and booked the 5 day coastal when we got home so for us, we very much enjoyed the ship.

100 state rooms? I can't see how that is possible but.... Sad to see that wonderful room go but they do not use it much so I can see why. I do hope they do not add too many rooms or there will be too many extra passengers for some areas of the ship. Looking forward to the news of what they are doing. We want to go on here 9/14 SF to Sydney but will wait for more news. We will be on here Dec. 6th before the changes. I plan to enjoy the Crystal room one last time.

We booked that cruise while on board!!!! It was not showing on the Celebrity website yesterday afternoon...but we were able to book it on board!!! We booked a Sky Suite...but considering down-grading to a balcony...because of the price difference....

I can't see how they could get 100 cabins out of the Crystal...on this past cruise they used it for the Captain Club AM & PM events and the CC Cocktail event...not sure what else they used it for??? LuAnn

I am not doubting your info OP but this is what's listed on a internet TA for the Century for Jan/Feb 2014.

15 days Jan 5,2014 Fort Lauderdale, FL San Diego, CA Celebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,199

15 days Jan 20,2014San Diego, CA Fort Lauderdale, FLCelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,449

15 days Feb 4,2014Fort Lauderdale, FL Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,599

15 days Feb19,2014Los Angeles, CA Los Angeles, CACelebrity / Celebrity Century4.5-$1,399

I am just "reporting" what the Hotel Manager and the Future Sales person told me 1) Hotel manager....going to drydock for 1 month in January-Feb. and 2) Future sales manager....told not to book anything for Feb '14....

At the beginning of this cruise I asked the Future Sales person (this past Tuesday) if and when Century would be going to dry-dock...she said she didn't know....but by this last Friday...when we met with her again...she told us she was told not to book anything on Century for Feb. '14....I'm just telling you what the people from Celebrity told me!!! I would hope that these people might know more than an Internet T/A...especially since this is "fresh" news. I guess time will tell...just trying to give those interested an update...based on what I was told! ;) LuAnn

The most consistent info I see is her last cruise before dry dock is a 15 day Panama Canal cruise from San Diego, beginning January 20, 2014 and ending in Fort Lauderdale on February 4, 2014.

Then dry dock begins in Freeport.

Her next cruise does not begin until April 5, 2014 - a 7 day California Costal round trip from Los Angeles.

I can find nothing on any schedule so far that gets her, post dry dock, from Freeport to Los Angeles. Who knows - a Panama Canal charter perhaps?????:confused::confused:

LuAnn, I don't doubt what you were told:)..they told you what they

were told.

But if Celebrity would just POST A PRESS RELEASE:eek: then everyone

would know what is actually going to happen.

Sorry for the caps;).....just using them for emphasis......

The below Cruise Critic news article was previously posted, it has Century going in for extensive rehab in Feb. of 2014. They do quote an unnamed source from the cruiseline in the article. Since they still have these cruises in Feb. scheduled it appears one hand doesn't know what the other is doing.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5246

Thank you, LuAnn, for your update. We were on the 4/3 Hawaii and 4/18 4-night Pacific Coastal b2b cruises before yours. We really like the Century-class ship(s) (former Galaxy & Mercury + Century) and were happy to see that the Century will be doing Alaska again next year as we have not been to Alaska and will be pleased to do the Alaska cruise on a smaller ship & especially one that will be renovated within the past 5-6 months when we go.

Suzanne (wwcruisers): We booked Alaska SF RT for September 4, 2014 on the Century. Any chance you would be interested in that cruise? I wanted to tell you hoping we will have a chance to cruise together again.

Thanks!

We love the Aqua Spa Cafe. As mentioned we did a b2b this month, and we frequented the cafe for most breakfasts and lunches on our 19-night b2b cruises. It is very well run under the management of Mario of India. It was kept very clean (better than Equinox & Eclipse) and food was good. Our favorite waiter, Stanley, served in the cafe.

I wrote up a commendation for the Aqua Spa Cafe and for Mario and Stanley on an Attention to Details card in addition to outstanding comments on the 2 Guest Questionnaires (one for each leg of b2b). The only minor disappointment was no white omelette or cooked chicken or fish, since they no longer have the facility to cook food there. They did serve cold grilled salmon and the too-rare-for-us cold tuna on different days.

If Mario is still on the ship for your cruise, tell him Kathy & Jack, Stanley's customers, said hi. He will know us with that little information. We met both Mario and Stanley on the Mercury. Stanley has been our waiter for Select dining 7 times including on the b2b, last year on Century, and 4 times on the Mercury. Stanley is now on vacation and will be going to the Millennium, so he won't be on the Century.

Kathy

LuAnn, I don't doubt what you were told:)..they told you what they

were told.

But if Celebrity would just POST A PRESS RELEASE:eek: then everyone

would know what is actually going to happen.

Sorry for the caps;).....just using them for emphasis......

I'm with you Lois. Celebrity needs to put something out. I feel very sorry for those on the February and March cruises who have heard about the drydock and have no idea if their cruise is going or not. I know a lot say, well they can just change to another cruise, but sometimes that is easiler said and done. Since we are 10 months out and people are making their air reservations, etc., especially those that are not on cruise critic, Celebrity needs to let these people know if their cruises are going or not. Some of these cruises have been blocked out "inventory maintenance" for a couple of months or more. Celebrity needs to show some customer service on this one.

Archived