Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab National Park

diviney87

You can book directly with Jorge 866-393-5158 ext 123...he is great. There is also a $159 per person special to do the Dolphin Royal Swim, and swim with the sea lions and swim with the manatees....all for $159 if you book through him (his is with Dolphin Discovery). The regular price is $249. Great deal and they will take you from one to the other.!

Just called and spoke with "Jorge" his first question was, how are you getting here? I lied and told him we were staying at a resort in Cozumel. We booked the same interaction: Dolphin Royal Swim, Swim with the Sea lions and interaction with the Manatees. Price was $159 PP, just like you said!

Can't wait...my kids will love it..and so will I!

Regards,

Natalie

Hi Julie. My family of 5 are booked on Carnival Dream to cruise over Christmas and I was having the same dilemma as you. I noticed on the dolphin discovery website that they are having a tremendous sale thru October 31. To book thru Carnival, it would of cost $289 more for 5 of us to do the Royal Swim. I am not a big fan of lying, even to get the deal so I decided to call the number directly, speak to a representative and see what happened. Honestly, I was praying the whole time that I wouldn't even be asked the "what cruise line are you on" question. And honestly, I wasn't even asked. The rep. I spoke with is Javier and he never even asked how we were getting to Cozumel or if we were staying there or anything. I have read a couple of other posts saying the same thing - they weren't asked. I would maybe try calling and see what happens. The other thing I've read is that when you are going thru the booking process on the dolphin discovery website, when asked what cruiseline, hit the "ecommerce" button and the order goes thru. Good luck!! You'll have to let us know what happens.

Jodi

What does the ecommerce mean?? We are sailing the Carnival Valor in January and this sounds like a good deal compared to the Carnival prices.

Thanks!

What does the ecommerce mean?? We are sailing the Carnival Valor in January and this sounds like a good deal compared to the Carnival prices.

Thanks!

Sorry - not sure what it means.... If you look thru these boards, quite a few people have used it to get around having to book directly thru Carnival. I called and was able to book directly with an agent. Fortunately, I was not asked how I was getting there. Good luck.

Sorry - not sure what it means.... If you look thru these boards, quite a few people have used it to get around having to book directly thru Carnival. I called and was able to book directly with an agent. Fortunately, I was not asked how I was getting there. Good luck.

Okay no problem! I was just wondering! Thanks for your help!

I booked thru a third party internet company. All bookings go directly thru the dolphin swim website. So I was told when booking just to list "ecommerce" to show that it was purchased on line thru a third party retailer. I have my confirmation so we will see how it goes. Does anyone know if they rent towls there? Also heard that they look at everyone's towels so want to try and avoid that issue.

Hi,

I have been reading these posts and was crossing my fingers, well, I just booked our Royal Swim, and we got 25%, but we are sailing with Royal, and I wrote that and the name of our ship and all is good, so I guess its just Carnival and Princess probably. Just so that you know, now, you can write down a ship in port on your day that's not Carnival and see what happens... Just to let you know.

newlu

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of questions about booking independently. We are on the Carnival Conquest. That day there will also be the Freedom of the Seas and 3 Norwegian ships in port. Am I better off listing one of those ships? I am nervous that if we book and they somehow find out we are with Carnival, our excursion will be cancelled. Has this happened to anyone?

If I book using ecommerce, and have a confirmation, can they still cancel the excursion? I read recently of someone arriving for their swim only to learn that their excursion had been cancelled.

Carnival does not offer the Royal Swim with Manatee and Sea Lion interactions. Even if I was willing to pay Carnival's higher price, they don't offer what I am interested in doing. Thanks in advance.

A couple of questions about booking independently. We are on the Carnival Conquest. That day there will also be the Freedom of the Seas and 3 Norwegian ships in port. Am I better off listing one of those ships? I am nervous that if we book and they somehow find out we are with Carnival, our excursion will be cancelled. Has this happened to anyone?

If I book using ecommerce, and have a confirmation, can they still cancel the excursion? I read recently of someone arriving for their swim only to learn that their excursion had been cancelled.

Carnival does not offer the Royal Swim with Manatee and Sea Lion interactions. Even if I was willing to pay Carnival's higher price, they don't offer what I am interested in doing. Thanks in advance.

We just got back from our cruise last night and the swimming with the Dolphins was amazing! We booked "ecommerce" and in the "name of ship" section we just again listed "ecommerce" as directed by the booking agency. We had no problems checking in at both the main entrance and inside at the dolphin center. No one ever asked to see our towels, ship card or anything. When we signed in for the tour once inside Chakanaab the tour lady asked which Carnival ship we were from and did not even blink an eye when I told her we were on the Magic. The cruise ship passengers actually showed up after us. LOL...too bad they paid $40 more pp than I did!

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, I just looked at their website and there's a deal on for NCL passengers, essentially 2 for 1 for the dolphin swim activities (second one for $1). It actually says "for Norwegian Cruise Line Passengers" on the deal!

Interesting, I just looked at their website and there's a deal on for NCL passengers, essentially 2 for 1 for the dolphin swim activities (second one for $1). It actually says "for Norwegian Cruise Line Passengers" on the deal!

I just saw this as well. We are on the Conquest, but there will be 3 other NCL ships in port the same day. I'm thinking that I might say we are on one of those ships instead. Is there any way they might find out? Half price for 2 Royal Swims is a really good deal! Conquest would cost me $380 verses $129 booking directly.

Does anyone know if they are still offering the $159 dolphin, sea lion & manatee swims?

Thanks!

I called for that as well. They said only NCL because NCL pays for a portion of it. I personally find that hard to believe. Anyway, he put me on hold and said the best he can do is offer me 25% off. Still a decent price but I want the 2 for 1 special.

We are booked with Carnival excursions for April. Does anyone know if you are allowed to take your own camera and take your own photo's. Also are you allowed to walk around Chan(can't spell name of park) the park and hangout after swim?

Thanks,

Marcy

A couple of people in my party are interested in the Dolphin Swim. Can they just pick it up the day we arrive or it limited to a certain number of people and it may be fully booked by then? Sometimes I worry about the weather and think it would be better to wait until we arrive to decide. For those of you who have already booked, what is the cancellation policy, in case they do decide to book ahead?

I wanted to book this for my husband & 5 year old, who can swim. I am disappointed as on the website it has a minimum age of 8. on the royal caribbean site, it mentions no age minimum. the only thing my son can do is the encounter which you don't even have to get in the water. my 2 yr old could do it. anyone have experience with this? Or know of any other islands that offer dolphin swims that a 5 yr old can do? Thanks!

I wanted to book this for my husband & 5 year old, who can swim. I am disappointed as on the website it has a minimum age of 8. on the royal caribbean site, it mentions no age minimum. the only thing my son can do is the encounter which you don't even have to get in the water. my 2 yr old could do it. anyone have experience with this? Or know of any other islands that offer dolphin swims that a 5 yr old can do? Thanks!

Did you look into Dolphinaris in Cozumel? It says children 5 and under are free with a paying adult for the dolphin swim. :)

We are booked with Carnival excursions for April. Does anyone know if you are allowed to take your own camera and take your own photo's. Also are you allowed to walk around Chan(can't spell name of park) the park and hangout after swim?

Thanks,

Marcy

Others have said that they do not let you have your camera with you. It makes sense because they try to sell you their pics for $100+ for a cd. I think someone mentioned that if you have a good zoom lens, you might be able to get some pics from an area outside the pool.

And yes, you can stay and play in the park after your dolphin time.

I am planning on booking the dolphin push, pull swim at Chankanaab. The Carnival website has no age restriction but a height restriction. When I contacted Carnival about it they said that my 3 year old could go and do what he was able to and there would be no charge for him because he is only 3.

I do not think that your own camera is allowed. They will take pictures and try to charge an arm and leg for them but I am a sucker for pictures. I will try to get a better deal.

We'll be in Cozumel next month, and are planning on Chankanaab for the day. Unfortunately, with our 5 kids we can't afford to pay full price for the dolphin swim or encounter. I see on the dolphin discovery site that they have a buy one get one for $1 for Norwegian passengers. (We're RCCL)

Does anyone have experience with how they verify how you got on the island? :) Do they really care? I'd be surprised if NCL was giving them a kickback -- more likely that they have agreements with all the other lines not to discount for those passengers...

We'll be in Cozumel next month, and are planning on Chankanaab for the day. Unfortunately, with our 5 kids we can't afford to pay full price for the dolphin swim or encounter. I see on the dolphin discovery site that they have a buy one get one for $1 for Norwegian passengers. (We're RCCL)

Does anyone have experience with how they verify how you got on the island? :) Do they really care? I'd be surprised if NCL was giving them a kickback -- more likely that they have agreements with all the other lines not to discount for those passengers...

I was just there on Dec. 23rd and booked the day for me and my kids directly with the park. They asked at the time of my booking how I was getting there and where I was staying. I told them we were going to be at a local resort but was unsure of the name. They never asked again, even when we checked in. It wasn't an issue at all.

We're sailing with RC in March and was thinking of doing the same thing. Did you end up booking the NCL deal? I checked it out and there will be an NCL ship in port the same day we are.

Others have said that they do not let you have your camera with you. It makes sense because they try to sell you their pics for $100+ for a cd. I think someone mentioned that if you have a good zoom lens, you might be able to get some pics from an area outside the pool.

And yes, you can stay and play in the park after your dolphin time.

I sure hate that you can't take your camera.

I just returned from my Jan 1 cruise on the Magic. I booked thru Cozumel Tours and used the ecommerce as the name of the ship while booking. I even got the 20% discount for booking thru paypal.

Once I arrived at Dolphin Discovery, no one cared how I got there. There are three places to sign in, the last one being the actual sign in for the Dolphin swim. You have to put your name and what ship you came on. I put Carnival Magic, and there were no questions asked.

You ARE allowed to take your camera as long as it is waterproof. I asked and they said sure as long as it is waterproof. You will need to be with someone that you can pass your camera too when it is your turn, but it is allowed. No one that has not paid is allowed to go that far out on the pier to take pictures, but the actual participants are allowed.

We did the Royal Dolphin Swim and it was great!!!

new2cruising2006: You can check the port schedule here: http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=155&date=42

So I talked to the people at dolphin discovery, and they require a ticket/booking number from Norwegian passengers in order to get the 2 for 1 deal. I ended up booking through http://cozumel-tours.com/dolphin-swim-adventure.htm in order to get the early booking discount, but just got 15% since I'm only 30 days out. They have a graduated discount based on how far in advance you book. Another thing to note is that if you use American Express they charge you in Pesos, whereas if you book with Visa or Mastercard they charge you in Dollars. I didn't know that until after I booked, and don't know what effect it will have on the price, except for the AMEX currency exchange fee.

If you cancel more than 4 days in advance you can get all but 10% of your fee back. If your ship doesn't dock or is late you have to get a letter from the ship and fax it to them as proof, and then you can get all but 10% back or a 1-year voucher for the full amount. If they cancel you due to weather you get a refund.

Because I couldn't get the 2-for-1 deal, I only booked the swim for my two older kids. They said there's a sea lion show included, but that it would cost the rest of us an extra $15 or so at the park. Anyone have experience with that?

Thanks!

Scott