Viator for NY city?

midwestchick

I booked a tour in Quebec today and see they have a lot of reasonably priced tours in NEW York. Has anyone ever used them? If so, how were they?

We would have to take the PATH to Manhattan and they would pick us up at a hotel. Does anyone know what hotel is closest to where we would get off?

Edited by midwestchick

Viator is a 3rd party re-seller; they don't actually run any tours.

NYC is very easy to get around by subway--just pick the places you want to visit and use www.hopstop.com to plot a route.

There are also HOHO buses that some people like to use as a tour.

Yes, I know they are a 3rd party seller but I would still like to try them. We don't really want to have to use the subway.

I'm hoping someone who has used them will comment.

Perhaps if you give us an idea of what you want to do, posters will be able to provide suggestions other than an organized tour. In any event if you want to use Viator, it would still be helpful to know what your plans are, because experiences people may have had with one tour booked through Viator may be vastly different from another tour booked through them simply because of the fact that they are merely serving as a booking agent. The actual tour operator on one particular excursion may be far better or worse than the tour operator on another excursion , so without knowing what tour you're interested in no one will be able to relate specific experiences on that tour.

Edited by njhorseman

We've never been to NYC so we would like to do all the usual touristy things like the Empire State Building, SOL, World Trade Center, take a ferry ride, Times Square, eat an authentic NY pizza, just to name a few. We'll be staying in Jersey City so we'll have to take the PATH to Manhattan. Not sure how many of these activities we can fit in, in a days time. We do have 2 1/2 days pre cruise and I'm debating if we should do the day trip to Washington that Viator offers.

Never used them. I do agree with njhorseman that you need to figure out what you want to do, and then figure out if that's best served by a tour offered by Viator. I will confess I was less than impressed with the tours I saw offered on their web page, but I admit that I'm adventurous and just enjoy roaming Manhattan. The things you've mentioned can pretty much be done on your own, and several of them are free. I know there was a poster not long ago (babs?? I think) that did a free walking tour of lower Manhattan that looked pretty interesting and that she enjoyed.

What's the day trip to Washington? Bus or train? What do they do? I live and work just outside of DC, and the LAST thing I'd want to do with 2 1/2 days in the New York area is spend 3/4 of a day stuck in traffic on I-95 and the Jersey Turnpike!!!!!!! If it's a train, you can grab Amtrak in Jersey for $98/person on a saver ticket and go straight to Union Station, but that's about 3 1/2 hours each way. Personally, if I had 2 1/2 days in the New York area, I'd spend them in New York. And I'd ride the subway...

We've never been to NYC so we would like to do all the usual touristy things like the Empire State Building, SOL, World Trade Center, take a ferry ride, Times Square, eat an authentic NY pizza, just to name a few. We'll be staying in Jersey City so we'll have to take the PATH to Manhattan. Not sure how many of these activities we can fit in, in a days time. We do have 2 1/2 days pre cruise and I'm debating if we should do the day trip to Washington that Viator offers.

It's more than you can do in a day, particularly if you want to actually visit the Statue of Liberty, which would take up a big chunk of your day, rather than just seeing it from a boat that passes nearby, and the last thing you need is a tour operator like Viator to do the sort of sightseeing you're interested in.

To get the most out of your day for example, you could take PATH to the World Trade Center, then walk to the Staten Island Ferry, where the free ferry ride takes you very close to the Statue of Liberty. After you take the ferry back to Manhattan, please consider taking a quick subway ride up to Times Square ( Take a taxi if you're dead set against the subway.) After you're done in Times Square walk to the Empire State Building, and when you're finished there walk to the 33rd St. PATH station for the ride back to Jersey City.

FYI, PATH is a "subway" too. If you don't object to taking PATH, you shouldn't object to the NY City subway.

It's more than you can do in a day, particularly if you want to actually visit the Statue of Liberty, which would take up a big chunk of your day, rather than just seeing it from a boat that passes nearby, and the last thing you need is a tour operator like Viator to do the sort of sightseeing you're interested in.

To get the most out of your day for example, you could take PATH to the World Trade Center, then walk to the Staten Island Ferry, where the free ferry ride takes you very close to the Statue of Liberty. After you take the ferry back to Manhattan, please consider taking a quick subway ride up to Times Square ( Take a taxi if you're dead set against the subway.) After you're done in Times Square walk to the Empire State Building, and when you're finished there walk to the 33rd St. PATH station for the ride back to Jersey City.

FYI, PATH is a "subway" too. If you don't object to taking PATH, you shouldn't object to the NY City subway.

All very good ideas, but how much of a walking distance is it? The knees aren't what they used to be...sometimes a lot of walking could be a problem.

I would like to go up to the observation tower when we see the Empire of State Building and go up to the observation deck.

The subways do sound very confusing to me...that's why I was thinking the Viator tour. There's a lot I don't know about NYC and a lot I would like to see and learn. Possibly add a nostalgic carriage ride in Central Park (okay, I've seen too many movies ;)). I really appreciate the ideas...and I do need help planning this. Maybe I should have titled this, "Help me plan NYC".

markeb...I'm scratching the Washington option...it is on a bus.

All very good ideas, but how much of a walking distance is it? The knees aren't what they used to be...sometimes a lot of walking could be a problem.

I would like to go up to the observation tower when we see the Empire of State Building and go up to the observation deck.

The subways do sound very confusing to me...that's why I was thinking the Viator tour. There's a lot I don't know about NYC and a lot I would like to see and learn. Possibly add a nostalgic carriage ride in Central Park (okay, I've seen too many movies ;)). I really appreciate the ideas...and I do need help planning this. Maybe I should have titled this, "Help me plan NYC".

markeb...I'm scratching the Washington option...it is on a bus.

It's about a mile walk from the World Trade Center to the Staten Island Ferry terminal (South Ferry). You can also take a taxi or the #1 subway...a very short subway ride...about 10 minutes.

It's about 3/4s of a mile from Times Square to the Empire State Building. If you want to go up to the observation deck you can buy tickets on site, or in advance on their website: http://www.esbnyc.com/buy-tickets

It's about a 5 minute walk...a touch over a quarter of a mile from the Empire State Building to Herald Square.

If you're no longer going to spend day going to DC, then you can do one day Downtown...World Trade Center and going to the Statue of Liberty (actual trip there, not just a sail by in a boat), and another day in Midtown...Times Square, Empire State Building, and Rockefeller Center for example.

Edited by njhorseman

It's about a mile walk from the World Trade Center to the Staten Island Ferry terminal (South Ferry). You can also take a taxi or the #1 subway...a very short subway ride...about 10 minutes.

It's about 3/4s of a mile from Times Square to the Empire State Building. If you want to go up to the observation deck you can buy tickets on site, or in advance on their website: http://www.esbnyc.com/buy-tickets

It's about a 5 minute walk...a touch over a quarter of a mile from the Empire State Building to Herald Square.

If you're no longer going to spend day going to DC, then you can do one day Downtown...World Trade Center and going to the Statue of Liberty (actual trip there, not just a sail by in a boat), and another day in Midtown...Times Square, Empire State Building, and Rockefeller Center for example.

Thanks for the link...I did not now there was a Main Deck and the Top Deck.

Since I am somewhat leary of the subways, how will I know which subway to catch back to Jersey City? It will be easy from Jersey City but not sure about getting back. It all seems somewhat confusing to me and I know a taxi would probably be an outrageous price.

Thanks for the link...I did not now there was a Main Deck and the Top Deck.

Since I am somewhat leary of the subways, how will I know which subway to catch back to Jersey City? It will be easy from Jersey City but not sure about getting back. It all seems somewhat confusing to me and I know a taxi would probably be an outrageous price.

So, first things first. Check out the interactive PATH map. For instance, you can easily get from Journal Square or Grove Street to either 33rd Street or the World Trade Center. Trains and subways in NYC are generally very well marked.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

If, as a for instance, you spend a day in the the WTC/City Hall/Financial District/Battery Park area, you could take PATH to the WTC and back. You can walk, take a cab, or ride the subway from the WTC site to the Staten Island Ferry; just look for a Downtown 1 train as mentioned. You could then take the Journal Square-33rd Street train the next day and be very close to Herald Square, Macy's, the Empire State Building, and a short walk to go up Fifth Avenue. Central Park is a hike if you're not very mobile. Multiple subway lines go back to Penn Station, and you return to the 33rd Street PATH station to catch the same line back to Jersey.

AND, believe it or not, New Yorkers are great at helping out of towners!!! Most subway stations are manned. I don't know about PATH, but I suspect it is too.

Don't discount using the buses in Manhattan either. Most of the north south avenues have buses. East west buses run on 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd, 49/50th, and 57th. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf

These are not the fastest way to get somewhere, but they can help you get a shorter distance on surface streets while having the time to take in some of the details of the area you are passing through.

From South Ferry it is possible to take the #5 bus uptown through Greenwich Village, past Macy's, the New York Public Library, Rockefeller Center, and the Museum of Modern Art to Central Park. For a longer ride you will for sure get a seat at some point as folks are always getting on and off.

I live in the United Kingdom and booked through http://www.viator.com for a helicopter trip around New York in 2010. It all went very well and was simple to do. All you need to do is book the tour pay using your credit card at home. In our case it does it in US $ and converts to £ sterling. Print out the booking receipt form giving your unique confirmation code and all the tour information. Turn up on the day as per instructions with your printouts and passport/s for identification purposes. Very simple and easy system. They also do many tours throughout the world.

Regards Keith

Edited by john watson

If anyone wants to visit the Statue of Liberty you just got to get CROWN TICKETS. Get onto the government website and reserve your spaces. Only a few of these tickets are available daily and they are all sold out three or four months ahead of time. They allow you an exclusive climb right up inside the head and viewing out of the windows around the crown. You ascend different stairwells on this and it is therefore never crowded for your small group. High security and passports were needed when we went. Lovely trip, printout your booking confirmations at home and receive the actual tickets from the Battery Park kiosk near where you board the ferries.

Regards John

I live in NJ about 10 miles outside of NYC and my husband works there. It sounds like you will be traveling with someone? If so, between the two of you, you will be fine! The path is very easy, the subways can be a little trickier but again if there are two of you, you will figure it out. If you haven't been to NYC before, I think you will find that part of the magic is just walking around and people watching (at least to me it is!). Depending on the time of year, Central Park may be nice too and you could tie this with a nearby museum.

Good choice staying in Jersey City as well! I know what I am about to say won't be popular but I cringe when I hear people stay in Elizabeth and Newark area. I totally get it if its just for a cheap bed, but if you want to actually see anything there are so many better options!

Have a great trip!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

Since you mentioned ferry rides, there are also some great night cruises around the city which are really pretty! Many include dinner and drinks. They are usually 2-3 hours in duration. Some leave from nearby Weehawken, but I believe some leave from Jersey City/Liberty State Park area too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I'll be traveling with my husband. NYC is my "baby"...DH is not thrilled at all about going but he knows how much I have wanted to see NYC. He absolutely detests large cities. Our daughter used to live in Chicago and he dreaded every trip because of traffic and crowds....not to mention the lack of parking.

John Watson...I did see the heli tour...I know that one would be out for him.

I chose Jersey City because there is also some shopping and things to do there when we arrive on our first day. I can also do a GPS walking thing if I have to.

I think there is also one couple on our roll call that is staying at the same hotel we are.

I really appreciate all the great ideas. I'll be printing this thread for future reference and will get my travel folder started soon.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the great ideas.

One more thing...where do I get a fantastic NY thin crust pizza? I love to eat local foods.

I'll be traveling with my husband. NYC is my "baby"...DH is not thrilled at all about going but he knows how much I have wanted to see NYC. He absolutely detests large cities. Our daughter used to live in Chicago and he dreaded every trip because of traffic and crowds....not to mention the lack of parking.

John Watson...I did see the heli tour...I know that one would be out for him.

I chose Jersey City because there is also some shopping and things to do there when we arrive on our first day. I can also do a GPS walking thing if I have to.

I think there is also one couple on our roll call that is staying at the same hotel we are.

I really appreciate all the great ideas. I'll be printing this thread for future reference and will get my travel folder started soon.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the great ideas.

One more thing...where do I get a fantastic NY thin crust pizza? I love to eat local foods.

John's. Original on Bleecker in SOHO; better known on 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue just outside of Times Square. I'd do the Times Square location for the experience. It used to be a church.

Just remember the mantra of all New Yorkers, and the adopted mantra of all of us who visit frequently THERE IS NO ORIGINAL RAYS!!!!.

What else are you interested in, BTW? There is a lot to do even in a short visit. Give us some ideas, and we'll give you some thoughts. I've shied away from moderate to heavy walking, but don't discount just walking up Fifth Avenue to Central Park! Just south of the Empire State Building is the Flatiron Building. Up Fifth is the New York Public Library. Right turn on 42nd is Grand Central. 49th to about 51st is Rockefeller Center, and St Patricks is right across the street. Shopping and/or browsing on Fifth and/or Madison. Central Park. Etc.

John's. Original on Bleecker in SOHO; better known on 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue just outside of Times Square. I'd do the Times Square location for the experience. It used to be a church.

Just remember the mantra of all New Yorkers, and the adopted mantra of all of us who visit frequently THERE IS NO ORIGINAL RAYS!!!!.

What else are you interested in, BTW? There is a lot to do even in a short visit. Give us some ideas, and we'll give you some thoughts. I've shied away from moderate to heavy walking, but don't discount just walking up Fifth Avenue to Central Park! Just south of the Empire State Building is the Flatiron Building. Up Fifth is the New York Public Library. Right turn on 42nd is Grand Central. 49th to about 51st is Rockefeller Center, and St Patricks is right across the street. Shopping and/or browsing on Fifth and/or Madison. Central Park. Etc.

Definitely, a carriage ride in Central Park would be nice and of course, a visit to St. Patrick's.

Moderate to slow walking and just stopping along the way is what would work best for me...as I stated...the knees aren't what they once were....good days, bad days. Shopping on 5th Avenue may interest me but with so much to see and do, I figure I can always shop in other places. Besides, I'll have to keep in mind what I buy will eventually have to be brought home and would favor buying things on the cruise that I may not see again.

Pizza can be very subjective...we loved all the pizzas we had in Italy...and they were all a little different.