Avoid Houston....

cracra cruiser

If you are considering cruising from Houston... DON'T!!

The channel is small so you are risking being stuck in port. We were supposed to leave on 11/16 but didn't leave until the middle of the next day because of weather.

The dock workers also dropped luggage into the water and we could see things being knocked over while they were loading the ship. Have never encountered those kinds of problems in Florida.

Also, Texas will charge you for duty free liquor when your disembark... so just save yourself stress and go out of Florida or another port for Caribbean cruises.....

When you buy something that is duty free you are still suppose to pay taxes on, just not where you buy it from, the final destination. The same goes for when you buy something online from out of state. Sure no one does it but you are suppose to.

Don't mess with Texas!!!!! We don't need you.

Every port has dropped luggage

Every state has a liquor tax

California State Excise Taxes 2014 - Fuel, Cigarette, and Alcohol Taxes

Gasoline: 35.70¢ per gallon

Cigarettes: 87¢ per pack

Liquor: $3.30 per gal

Wine: $3.30 per gal

Beer: 20¢ per gal

Edited by ssb

The channel is small so you are risking being stuck in port. We were supposed to leave on 11/16 but didn't leave until the middle of the next day because of weather.

The dock workers also dropped luggage into the water and we could see things being knocked over while they were loading the ship. Have never encountered those kinds of problems in Florida.

Also, Texas will charge you for duty free liquor when your disembark... so just save yourself stress and go out of Florida or another port for Caribbean cruises.....

DC has a sales tax rate structure that also includes a 10% rate for liquor sold for off-premise and on-premise consumption, restaurant meals and rental vehicles; 18% rate for parking in commercial lots; and 14.5% for hotels and transient accommodations. District of Columbia Department of Tax and Revenue

Every port has dropped luggage

Every state has a liquor tax

California State Excise Taxes 2014 - Fuel, Cigarette, and Alcohol Taxes

Gasoline: 35.70¢ per gallon

Cigarettes: 87¢ per pack

Liquor: $3.30 per gal

Wine: $3.30 per gal

Beer: 20¢ per gal

Im not talking about liquor taxes im talking about duty free from a cruise

something they have never collected before

when bringing it duty free, Texas is the only port that collects it

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mary

BTW I didn't know I paid $35.70 for a gallon of gas in California:p

Edited by jonbgd

It's just the law!

Isn't everything quoted on the web true?

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Lisa!

Of course your talking about taxes, that's what the setup at the pier is for, collecting state tax on the booze! And it is not new, Texas has been collecting it for quite some time. Since they are opening booths as fast as they can at ports of entry, they are collecting. Had booths on the border crossings for years, to collect duty. So, buy duty free in Mexico and you pay when you cross back over. The law is in effect in most states and is on the honor system. Since folks were not paying, Texas set up booths to collect. If the couple of bucks per bottle is enough to cause you to go to another port, I hope the change is cost effective?

50 years ago on my honeymoon

I paid taxes on liquor returning from Mexico

State is just enforcing an old law at the cruise terminals because of rise in popularity.

Hey you are old:p JK

Ive paid my fair share, over the years, at the California border as well

Its just Texas is the only US port to enforce it

Lets hope this doesn't start a trend at other ports

Of course your talking about taxes, that's what the setup at the pier is for, collecting state tax on the booze! And it is not new, Texas has been collecting it for quite some time. Since they are opening booths as fast as they can at ports of entry, they are collecting. Had booths on the border crossings for years, to collect duty. So, buy duty free in Mexico and you pay when you cross back over. The law is in effect in most states and is on the honor system. Since folks were not paying, Texas set up booths to collect. If the couple of bucks per bottle is enough to cause you to go to another port, I hope the change is cost effective?

Not quite. Texas has a very specific law for payment of tax on any alcohol brought into the state for personal use. Most states have taxes on alcohol brought in for resale, but do not require taxes to be paid on small quantities brought in for personal use. Also Texas law requires the tax to be paid, even if the alcohol in question is merely in transit and will be immediately taken back out of state. That is a bit unique when it comes to state tax law.

For example the following are the rules in California

Introduction

This article summarizes the law on bringing alcoholic beverages into California.

Adults (persons age 21 or older) who bring alcoholic beverages into California for commercial or business purposes must be licensed by the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC).

Adults who bring alcoholic beverages into California for personal or household use do not need an alcoholic beverage license; however, some restrictions do apply, as explained below (Section 23661 Business and Professions Code).

Returning from a Foreign Country

Alcoholic beverages must accompany the returning traveler and may not be shipped to California at a later date.

Travel by Steamship or Airplane

Adults traveling into California from a foreign country by steamship or airplane may bring with them a reasonable amount of alcoholic beverages for personal or household use. A reasonable amount is not more than 60 liters (approximately five cases). (ABC agreement with U.S. Customs)

Returning from Mexico

Section 23661 of the CA Business and Professions Code limits the quantity of alcohol brought into California from Mexico for personal or household use as follows:

A pedestrian crossing the international border on foot may bring in only the amount of alcoholic beverages which are exempt from payment of duty in accordance with the existing provision of federal law (currently, this is one-liter every 31 days). Note: This limit applies to all persons regardless of state or country of residence. No waivers are available.

A California resident crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier may bring in only the amount of alcoholic beverages which are exempt from payment of duty in accordance with the existing provisions of federal law (currently, this is one-liter every 31 days).

Non-California residents crossing the international border in a vehicle that is not a common carrier can bring with them a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

A California resident or any other person crossing the international border via common carrier may bring in a reasonable quantity of alcoholic beverages (up to five cases or 60 liters) provided the beverages are for personal or household use.

No person under 21 years of age may bring in any quantity of alcoholic beverages.

Edited by RDC1

Who cares:rolleyes:

Someone will always complain about something somewhere.

There is good and bad everywhere and not all agree with everything.

I am from California and would NEVER go back. But that is my choice.

We have become a nation of complainers:mad:

Sure would be nice if OP complimented instead of complained.

Perhaps we would all be more pleasant and happier:)

I could not care less about the taxes. I will never leave out of Houston again. We got on the ship and as usual looked for a place to get the drink of the day. NO ONE stated before we got on the ship (or after for that matter) that ALMOST ALL the bars are closed. We finally found the pool bar open but they didn't know what they were doing. Also, Houston only allows them to serve from a very small menu. After a long wait the two Long Islandish Ice Teas we had were so weak they weren't worth the calories. We finally found that the Wheelhouse Bar was serving so we got a glass of wine (thankfully I like Chardonnay because that and Cab Sav. were the only choices) and took them to sit in the Explorer's Lounge. Every other person that passed us asked "Where did you get a drink?" We will be sticking to cruising out of Florida or San Juan. BOO HISS Houston.

I could not care less about the taxes. I will never leave out of Houston again. We got on the ship and as usual looked for a place to get the drink of the day. NO ONE stated before we got on the ship (or after for that matter) that ALMOST ALL the bars are closed. We finally found the pool bar open but they didn't know what they were doing. Also, Houston only allows them to serve from a very small menu. After a long wait the two Long Islandish Ice Teas we had were so weak they weren't worth the calories. We finally found that the Wheelhouse Bar was serving so we got a glass of wine (thankfully I like Chardonnay because that and Cab Sav. were the only choices) and took them to sit in the Explorer's Lounge. Every other person that passed us asked "Where did you get a drink?" We will be sticking to cruising out of Florida or San Juan. BOO HISS Houston.

I have never cruised out of Houston!

But when the title of thread is AVOID HOUSTON,

one should expect kick back!!!:rolleyes:

I sure he has complained about Florida also.

Most of my issues with cruising occurred in Florida.

Believe it or not, we missed around a 11:30 AM flight out of Ft Lauderdale,

because everyone were not allowed off the ship till close to 11:00 AM.

I won't go into the other bad experiences in Miami and Port Canaveral/Orlando.

BUT

I'M NOT SAYING AVOID FLORIDA

OR

BOO HISSING FLORIDA

Complainers are complainers!

I have learned not to ask on a ship elevator "How's your cruise trip going".

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

Edited by ssb

Hi, Mary

Have a great Dickens this year!

We are looking forward to bringing Liberty into Galveston next year.

Enjoy your Holidays. We are spending the winter in SoCal visiting our kids and friends here.

Margee and Bill

Hi Margee and Bill

Enjoy your Holidays also.:D

Lee and Mary

I wish there was a thumbs up button on here so I could most of you thumbs up for your comments. We are going out of Houston in Feb. Honestly not going to worry about it. The flights to Houston were so much cheaper than flights to Florida for my family of 5. I would not have been upset about any of these things mentioned above and I am very high strung :)!

BUT

OR

BOO HISSING FLORIDA

I have never had any complaints with the cruise terminals in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and do enjoy Florida. Of the 12+ cruises I've been on I haven't seen or encountered the port problems experience in Bayport (beyond the weather)... just my opinion. I am platinum on Princess, so am not new to cruising.

And to the tax issue... I could see paying a tax IF I lived in Texas, but I was simply going from the ship to the airport... I didn't consume any alcohol I bought in Mexico in Texas... Do have to say one of the highlights was going to Specs (?) in Houston - haven't been to a store like that before and it was fun! I highly recommend the Hilton Americas as a pre cruise hotel, very nice hotel and friendly staff.

Just my two cents....

BUT

OR

BOO HISSING FLORIDA

I have never had any complaints with the cruise terminals in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale and do enjoy Florida. Of the 12+ cruises I've been on I haven't seen or encountered the port problems experience in Bayport (beyond the weather)... just my opinion. I am platinum on Princess, so am not new to cruising.

And to the tax issue... I could see paying a tax IF I lived in Texas, but I was simply going from the ship to the airport... I didn't consume any alcohol I bought in Mexico in Texas... Do have to say one of the highlights was going to Specs (?) in Houston - haven't been to a store like that before and it was fun! I highly recommend the Hilton Americas as a pre cruise hotel, very nice hotel and friendly staff.

Just my two cents....

Yes Specs is an experience in itself.

Just so you know. Just posted that dock workers in Miami dumped a whole load of luggage into the water. Had to get scuba divers to recover some of it. So now Florida is off your list. Where do you want to cruise from now?:rolleyes: