After baths, what else is a must see?

Rufus1129

We have a shore excursion booked to snorkel in the Baths and around noon we should be done with this. My plan is to go back to the ship, clean up, eat and head back out to sightsee.

Could anyone recommend a must-see area or adventure we could do for this last few hours on the island? We leave port at 6pm.

Any ideas are much appreciated! :)

I'd recommend an island tour with one of the drivers at the dock, you can see much of the beauty that Tortola offers in 1 - 2 hours easily. You could also visit Cane Garden Bay if interested in the oldest continuously operating rum distillery in the Carib or to grab a burger at Tony's or Myett's. Or stop at the Bananakeet for a drink and the gorgeous view there.

Alternatively you could also spend more time on Virgin Gorda and see Savannah Bay and have lunch at the Mineshaft Cafe and admire the spectacular panoramic view. Or perhaps taxi to the North Sound and enjoy seeing that area with lunch at Bitter End or another hotel.

If getting back to the ship to get cleaned up and heading out to see some of Tortola sounds better the island tour would be a good way to see the beach and island views from the hills and include a stop to enjoy a cocktail or a bite.

I'd recommend an island tour with one of the drivers at the dock, you can see much of the beauty that Tortola offers in 1 - 2 hours easily. You could also visit Cane Garden Bay if interested in the oldest continuously operating rum distillery in the Carib or to grab a burger at Tony's or Myett's. Or stop at the Bananakeet for a drink and the gorgeous view there.

Alternatively you could also spend more time on Virgin Gorda and see Savannah Bay and have lunch at the Mineshaft Cafe and admire the spectacular panoramic view. Or perhaps taxi to the North Sound and enjoy seeing that area with lunch at Bitter End or another hotel.

If getting back to the ship to get cleaned up and heading out to see some of Tortola sounds better the island tour would be a good way to see the beach and island views from the hills and include a stop to enjoy a cocktail or a bite.

Hi Blue Water,

You gave me advice for St. John a couple of years ago which turned out to be excellent. Thank you so much. Hopefully I can tap your vast knowledge again. :)

I will be tendering/porting (not sure which) at Virgin Gorda in November. Do you recommend the Baths and then what you suggested to Rufus1129, such as Savannah Bay? Or would you suggest something else if having a full day there? I like to go beach hopping and my DH likes historical with little walking. If we managed to get to the very north of Virgin Gorda, could we see Necker Island from there?

Thanks again, Blue Water! :)

What a great cruise Dennich!

We've only stayed on Tortola and visited VG on day trips and we are not real experienced with the North Sound. We want to stay there soon and get to know that area better as it sounds great.

We do like Savannah Bay and the Baths in the Valley, and we love having lunch at the Mineshaft Cafe which is also in that area. And these ideas are typical for someone docking at Tortola because they have the 1 hr ferry transfer to Spanishtown (+ waiting time for the ferry) so they have less time to spend on VG than you.

I don't know how long you are on VG, and I assume you will be anchored off of Spanishtown. But a visit to the North Sound is an excellent idea too, and you may have time to visit the Baths too, perhaps renting a car but taxi fares are not unreasonable right in the Valley area at least. I know you can have a nice lunch at Little Dix Bay or perhaps Bitter Yacht Club and see the resort if interested.

But my recommendation for you with this stop would be to visit the VG forum on Tripadvisor dot com and ask this question to ACB, an expert there. Our friend alashas was also very knowlegable on VG but recently passed, but ACB can be of great help to you andvanswer your specific questions.

Have a great cruise!

What a great cruise Dennich!

We've only stayed on Tortola and visited VG on day trips and we are not real experienced with the North Sound. We want to stay there soon and get to know that area better as it sounds great.

We do like Savannah Bay and the Baths in the Valley, and we love having lunch at the Mineshaft Cafe which is also in that area. And these ideas are typical for someone docking at Tortola because they have the 1 hr ferry transfer to Spanishtown (+ waiting time for the ferry) so they have less time to spend on VG than you.

I don't know how long you are on VG, and I assume you will be anchored off of Spanishtown. But a visit to the North Sound is an excellent idea too, and you may have time to visit the Baths too, perhaps renting a car but taxi fares are not unreasonable right in the Valley area at least. I know you can have a nice lunch at Little Dix Bay or perhaps Bitter Yacht Club and see the resort if interested.

But my recommendation for you with this stop would be to visit the VG forum on Tripadvisor dot com and ask this question to ACB, an expert there. Our friend alashas was also very knowlegable on VG but recently passed, but ACB can be of great help to you andvanswer your specific questions.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you so much. I always forget about Trip Advisor since CC is so great. The ship will be tendering from 8 -7 so I am looking forward to checking out a few different places on the island.

Thanks again for your wonderful advice to everyone. I have done the St. John trip from St. Thomas on my own twice now with your help.

Yes with 11 hrs in port you could have an excellent day seeing all of VG, especially armed with good information. I'm sure folks here can help who have spent more time on VG, but ACB and a few others are very familiar with the island and can make your day more enjoyable.

Have a good one!