NCL Excursion to Virgin Gorda Baths

destaw7182

Has anyone done the excursion to Virgin Gorda Baths through NCL?

The description says it's a 50 to 100 yard swim to the beach from where the boat drops you off. Is this true? There are some ppl in my party that are not strong swimmers.

Thanks in advance.

Any swim from a boat off the Baths can be extremely strenuous, we've seen expert swimmers collapse upon reaching shore when there was a strong swell. Other days it can be much easier. So we'd be concerned about a weaker swimmer...

Do they have a dinghy for those folks?

Edited by blue_water

• 4 weeks later...
Has anyone done the excursion to Virgin Gorda Baths through NCL?

The description says it's a 50 to 100 yard swim to the beach from where the boat drops you off. Is this true? There are some ppl in my party that are not strong swimmers.

Thanks in advance.

Our NCL cruise this Feb. (which calls at Tortola from 7am-1pm) offers what I think is the same tour, a four hour excursion to the Baths that starts out with a 50-100 yard swim/snorkel to shore. We were considering this, but the only review of this excursion posted on NCL's web site (which is from 2013) said that there was no provision made to bring your personal gear ashore, so you spent two hours on the beach and walking around the Baths without anything but your snorkel gear and bathing suit. (No towel, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, non-waterproof camera, etc.)

Obviously, I don't have any idea if this is how the excursion is still run, nor have I taken it. If this is the excursion you are considering, you might want to read that review. And maybe NCL has more current info (though it's doubtful the folks in the U.S. know exactly how the tour is run; maybe they can email the operator).

I don't know when you are traveling, but the Baths Nat'l Park web site says this:

Strong ocean swells can occur in the winter months, preventing use of the mooring buoys and access to the beach from the sea. Swimming is also discouraged during these periods, due to the strong currents.

http://www.bvitourism.com/activity/baths-national-park

Presumably, the tour would not operate in such conditions. NCL's web site says of this tour: "Alternate destinations may be used if sea conditions prohibit a stop at the Baths."

We've been there when ppl swam in from moored cats and the current was extremely strong. Highly experienced swimmers were gasping once they reached shore. So do realize there can be strong undertow and there are rocks. A ride in a dingy would be much preferred.

Our NCL cruise this Feb. (which calls at Tortola from 7am-1pm) offers what I think is the same tour, a four hour excursion to the Baths that starts out with a 50-100 yard swim/snorkel to shore. We were considering this, but the only review of this excursion posted on NCL's web site (which is from 2013) said that there was no provision made to bring your personal gear ashore, so you spent two hours on the beach and walking around the Baths without anything but your snorkel gear and bathing suit. (No towel, water bottle, sunglasses, sunscreen, non-waterproof camera, etc.)

Obviously, I don't have any idea if this is how the excursion is still run, nor have I taken it. If this is the excursion you are considering, you might want to read that review. And maybe NCL has more current info (though it's doubtful the folks in the U.S. know exactly how the tour is run; maybe they can email the operator).

I don't know when you are traveling, but the Baths Nat'l Park web site says this:

http://www.bvitourism.com/activity/baths-national-park

Presumably, the tour would not operate in such conditions. NCL's web site says of this tour: "Alternate destinations may be used if sea conditions prohibit a stop at the Baths."

Thanks. Yes I did read the line review on the NCL website. There doesn't seen to be any other information beyond that.

We've been there when ppl swam in from moored cats and the current was extremely strong. Highly experienced swimmers were gasping once they reached shore. So do realize there can be strong undertow and there are rocks. A ride in a dingy would be much preferred.

Thanks for sharing. The more I learn about how you have to get ashore, the less enthusiastic I become about taking this tour. With such an odd time in port (7am to 1pm) I feel more comfortable taking a ship sponsored tour. I guess I will have to keep researching the options available.

Thanks!

That day was probably one of the worst and not typical but ya just don't know until you're there. I'm surprised a dingy isn't an option, but this is a more active excursion that most too.

The Baths are worth the trouble to visit, but on a short day the island of Tortola offers gorgeous views from the mountain roads and the drivers at the port provide excellent tours at reasonable prices, and you can include a stop at Brewers Bay or Cane Garden Bay for an early lunch. Not the same but still not a bad day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks!.....I did the Virgin Goirda/Baths tour a year ago. I do NOT swim, am 51 years old and it was aewsome. Yes, the boat drops you off about 50 to 100 yards from land. However, the water was calm and after 2 strokes I was able to stand and I am 5'3". We also took backpacks, which my husband carried to the beach over his head, along with our camera, so they would not get wet. We went through the guided path of rocks then hung out at a small restaurant there. It was beautiful! We are taking our sons back next July. None of them swim either. Please don't let that deter you.:)

Hi Folks!.....I did the Virgin Goirda/Baths tour a year ago. I do NOT swim, am 51 years old and it was aewsome. Yes, the boat drops you off about 50 to 100 yards from land. However, the water was calm and after 2 strokes I was able to stand and I am 5'3". We also took backpacks, which my husband carried to the beach over his head, along with our camera, so they would not get wet. We went through the guided path of rocks then hung out at a small restaurant there. It was beautiful! We are taking our sons back next July. None of them swim either. Please don't let that deter you.:)

What a perfect day! We've enjoyed those days on VG and Tortola and there's nothing better unless you are lucky enough to take in the sunset too!

Just want to caution others that the water can indeed be extremely rough with strong undertow and you need to understand the conditions when you arrive. Of course a good captain and crew would not let someone in the water under less than ideal conditions unless they were expert swimmers. But unless there's a swell or storm in the area generally you can count on good conditions to swim in and a wonderful day like you had!

Glad you enjoyed such a nice day!

Edited by blue_water