Cunard Queen Victoria 48 Day Los Angeles to Sydney Australia & Return To LA

Joomaraty

We are considering doing the 48 day cruise on Cunard's Queen Victoria departing Los Angeles for Sydney Australia and then returning to Los Angeles.

This cruise departs February 2015. Has anyone taking this trip that they can share any experiences. It is a lot of sea days during this trip especially during the Pacific Ocean Hurricane season.

I did the 28 day Sydney to San Francisco on QV this March. The weather was on the whole good but we did miss the last stop in New Zealand due to a approching cyclone, so a few days it was windy and a bit rough but not to bad. Just enjoy and have fun, and do the fencing class in the sea day mornings it is a lot of fun and a good work out.

We live in Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean and our hurricane season is from early July to November, not in February. In February, near Australia and New Zealand, it is their summer and it's usually very nice weather. Several times we have taken the world cruise out of San Francisco heading toward Sydney and never had a storm. We love the sea days because Cunard provides numerous excellent lecturers on various subjects as well as many other things to do each day. You will love it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

QE's World Voyage this year included a San Francisco to Sydney segment. The first two days out of SF were cool but the rest was nice weather and smooth seas.

It is a lot of sea days but I love sea days. There is always plenty to do or do nothing if you desire. Here are the activities from a sea day along that route:

Fitness classes (Fab Abs, yoga, tour de cycle)

Bridge lessons (beginner and intermediate)

iStudy classes (free and ones with a charge)

Trivia (2 during the day and more in the evening)

Table tennis tournament

Lecture

Book signings

Guest talent show

Bingo

Duplicate and social bridge

Whist

Movie

Dance class

Service club meeting

Martini tasting

Needlework/Knitting group

Shuffleboard competition

Afternoon tea

Paddle tennis competition

A number of spa and artwork presentaions

And this was all before 5:00 pm!

Here's a link to the roll call for this voyage, it covers all segments. If you think you may take this voyage you might want to give it a look.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1912170

It's quite long but there are files frequently posted that list ideas for ports, packing suggestions and the like. There was a sale on for this voyage due to expire August 15th.

In 2013, we took a 36-day voyage on the Queen Elizabeth with a very similar itinerary.

Left L.A. and returned to L.A. Had VERY pleasant stops in Hawaii, Samoa, Tahiti, Bora Bora and New Zealand. Also, many pleasant sea days. Absolutely NO rough weather---smooth sailing all the way!

One thing that was nice was few time zone changes, considering the distance of the voyage. Three zones to Hawaii and then only one more (because the ship will cross the international date line).

It was a great voyage--so great, we are also consider the 48-day cruise on the Victoria in 2015.

• 2 weeks later...
We are booked for this cruise. We are planning to take the train from Connecticut to LA. Does anyone know where in LA this ship docks?

We'll be doing the opposite, after the cruise we'll be taking the train home to NH!

The ship will dock in Long Beach, it's a trip from Union Station but there is Super Shuttle and others of the like available. Also I'm sure a private service or cab could be done. Not sure of the cost of that though.

When we disembark after the South Pacific cruise we'll see whether Cunard has a tour of LA that drops people at the airport or downtown. From the LAX there is a city sponsored shuttle to Union Station for something like $8 a piece. A real bargain. Our train doesn't leave until after 6PM so we have plenty of time.

Edited by Cruise NH

Thank you. We are also taking Amtrak home. We booked Amtrak from Hartford, CT all the way to San Pedro, CA. I called Cunard today after getting your response to get the exact address of the cruise port and it looks like Amtrak (via a Bus from LA train station) drops off about 1 mile from the cruise port in San Pedro. We are taking the same route back to CT from San Pedro as well. The bus they provide takes us directly to the train station. We also leave at 6:15PM out of LA to return home. We are very excited about the itinerary for this cruise - never thought we would get to Australia without getting on an airplane!

We are very excited about the itinerary for this cruise - never thought we would get to Australia without getting on an airplane!

I hear you! We take the QM2 transatlantic for our European vacations.

After the 'Southwest Chief' to Chicago, we'll take the 'Lake Shore Limited' to Albany NY, it's just an overnighter from Chicago. That same train goes onto Springfield, MA (might be close for you as well).

We will be getting on the ship in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I've never been through the Panama Canal so I thought this would be my chance. We're doing a one-way car rental from NH to FL. Far cheaper then a train it turns out and we can take all the luggage we want.

We're counting down the days!

Edited by Cruise NH

Thank you. We are also taking Amtrak home. We booked Amtrak from Hartford, CT all the way to San Pedro, CA. I called Cunard today after getting your response to get the exact address of the cruise port and it looks like Amtrak (via a Bus from LA train station) drops off about 1 mile from the cruise port in San Pedro. We are taking the same route back to CT from San Pedro as well. The bus they provide takes us directly to the train station. We also leave at 6:15PM out of LA to return home. We are very excited about the itinerary for this cruise - never thought we would get to Australia without getting on an airplane!

While the Southwest Chief has quite a good ontime record I would still suggest planning to get there a day early. I did LA-Sydney a few years ago on the Crystal Symphony and I strongly recommend what I did then, arrive in San Pedro a day early. The same bus that goes to the cruise terminal also stops right in front of the original Queen Mary. A night on that ship was a good prelude to the cruise. Unfortunately, you cannot book that bus between Long Beach and San Pedro but I got very good and inexpensive service from Premier Airport Shuttle.

The Amtrak stop in San Pedro is at the Catalina ferry terminal. Do not go all the way to the terminal, the bus stop stop is a kiosk next to the toll booth for the ferry terminal parking lot. If you don't see it immediately, the lot attendant can direct you.

Roy

Thank you Roy. We are actually arriving 4 days early and staying at the Crowne Plaza. I didn't want to take a chance on weather delays since we are leaving in February from the Northeast.

When you say don't go all the way to the terminal, is there a stop sooner that we should get off at? Crowne Plaza has a free shuttle but I am not sure where that picks up from.

Thank you Roy. We are actually arriving 4 days early and staying at the Crowne Plaza. I didn't want to take a chance on weather delays since we are leaving in February from the Northeast.

When you say don't go all the way to the terminal, is there a stop sooner that we should get off at? Crowne Plaza has a free shuttle but I am not sure where that picks up from.

Hi,

You may have noticed CruiseNHs reference to the Roll Call for the QV World Cruise? The link below will make you to it and if you are interested in logging in to it there will be a welcome and some interesting information for you.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1912170

Dave

We are booked for this cruise. We are planning to take the train from Connecticut to LA. Does anyone know where in LA this ship docks?

I believe the QV will dock in San Pedro - not Long Beach. We sailed with jimmybean in 2012 and agree that it was a wonderful itinerary. This 48 day itinerary looks great, too!!!

I'm going to (at least eventually) attempt to attach 2 maps. The first is centered on the Crowne Plaza. The 2 Amtrak bus stops are at the opposite ends of the blue dotted line with the Crowne Plaza pretty much in between. The bus should visit the one marked "San Pedro" on the map first (It might not if nobody has a reservation to get off there), and then the trip ends at 931 Gaffey Street. I'm not sure about the Crowne Plaza shuttle but I would expect they would go to the Gaffey Street location. That is the public library and there should be interest in a shuttle there. The "San Pedro" stop is pretty isolated unless a ferry is due there.

The other map is on my second computer and is more appropriate to the return trip.

Maybe I can edit and get this all in one post. The second map is the area around the cruise terminal. There are terminals by "World Cruise Terminal", the "Google Maps" location, and another a ship length further south. The bus stops near the Catalina Express terminal at the top of the map, near the "St" of Swinford Street. It's about probably a half mile walk from the "Google Maps" site, possibly walkable, but long with luggage. What I meant by don't go all the way to the terminal was don't walk all the way to the Catalina Express terminal. If you're taking a cab I'd suggest going to the other stop by the library, there's more there.

Roy

Roy

Crowneplaza.pdf

sanpedro.pdf

Edited by rafinmd

Thank you. Those maps were helpful. I am going to call Crowne Plaza, according to Trip Advisor, they offer a free shuttle to the cruise terminal. I just need to figure out where they pick up and drop off. Worst case, walking works for us as well.

Did you see the thread I started (currently below on this page) asking if anyone was "familiar with these speakers"?

Those speakers are the ones scheduled for the voyage you are considering.

So, for a start, you will have (what would appear to be) interesting insight daytime lectures to entertain on sea days.

There WILL Be a good number of sea days.

Do you play bridge? Like to read books?

DH and I have always found congenial bridge players and take along a supply of books (and also make use of the good Cunard libraries).

Honestly, we find sea days very relaxing and enjoyable. It is a great life to be (for a while) a passenger on a Cunard ship, sailing in the Pacific!

I believe the QV will dock in San Pedro - not Long Beach. We sailed with jimmybean in 2012 and agree that it was a wonderful itinerary. This 48 day itinerary looks great, too!!!

Imacruiser, are you and your DH coming on the QV cruise 2015????

I hope so : )

Jimmybean

Imacruiser, are you and your DH coming on the QV cruise 2015????

I hope so : )

Jimmybean

Hi Jimmybean,

This itinerary is very tempting. However, after our lovely voyage with you, we did a similar voyage in February and March from San Francisco to Sydney on the QE and returned on the QV. The highlights were our time in Sydney and visiting the south island of New Zealand. Having Roger McGuinn as one of our speakers was a wonderful surprise. I'm sure the 2015 voyage will be fabulous!! I do hope our paths cross again very soon. Very best wishes to you and your DH.

Beth