Why called staterooms?

Sat1

Also:

It's not a kitchen, but a galley.

You go below (not down below).

It's bow and stern, not front and back.

It's the head, not the bathroom.

You take the companionway, not the stairs.

Ships have no ropes, only lines or hawsers.

You don't put your things away, you stow them.

Come to think of it - and I know you would know for sure - I believe I heard somewhere that rooms that have a green safe are just called "cabins", but rooms that have a blue safe are the ones called "staterooms". :D;)

I just fell off my chair! :D

They are called Staterooms because the old Mississippi riverboats did not have numbers for their rooms. All rooms were named for different states and the term staterooms was coined and it stuck.

Bingo we have a winner! You must watch the History Channel also!

Cabins are called staterooms for marketing reasons. Originally a stateroom denoted a first class cabin.

In aristocratic houses of the 19th Century the largest and best furnished room was often called the state room. When ships began trying to attract high paying passengers with luxurious cabins, those cabins were also called staterooms to attract the sort of people who lived in such houses. Over time, as all cabins became more luxurious they all came to be called staterooms.

They are called Staterooms because the old Mississippi riverboats did not have numbers for their rooms. All rooms were named for different states and the term staterooms was coined and it stuck.

What a neat bit of trivia, thanks.

Cabins are called staterooms for marketing reasons. Originally a stateroom denoted a first class cabin.

In aristocratic houses of the 19th Century the largest and best furnished room was often called the state room. When ships began trying to attract high paying passengers with luxurious cabins, those cabins were also called staterooms to attract the sort of people who lived in such houses. Over time, as all cabins became more luxurious they all came to be called staterooms.

....looks like you followed my link! :D:D

....looks like you followed my link! :D:D

Nope, Wikipediaed it instead.:rolleyes:

I did already know that staterooms used to be first class cabins. I think I may have got that from old movies about the Titanic.

Also, staterooms in houses were so named because visitors were received in the room in state, i.e. formally.

I threw my two cents in because I couldn't stand to let stand the idea that staterooms were originally named after US states.:eek:

Because they are usually left in a state until the attendant turns up! :D

But seriously, I believe it's because on old steamships the rooms were named after US States and it stuck.

Love your answer

This is a fun thread

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to the Oxford English Dictionary-- 1. A captain's or superior officer's cabin on board a ship. Also: the largest cabin on a private yacht, etc., intended for the owner's use. 2. A large, typically lavishly decorated room in a palace, hotel, etc., used on ceremonial or formal occasions. 3. Chiefly U.S. A cabin providing sleeping accommodation on a passenger ship. (first found in print in 1754)

Also:

It's not a kitchen, but a galley.

You go below (not down below).

It's bow and stern, not front and back.

It's the head, not the bathroom.

You take the companionway, not the stairs.

Ships have no ropes, only lines or hawsers.

You don't put your things away, you stow them.

...You mean it's not the pointy end and the rounded end?

Scott & Karen