Port of Miami to Florida Keys

RumpunchGirl

go west on I-595 and get on the turnpike then go south and take it to the end - Florida City - where it dumps you into US-1 ... and you will need either a SUNPASS or pay the rental fee for electronic tolls ....

Edited by Capt_BJ

check out the site florida rambler . com. Its a great site for mile by mile information on the drive to thru the keys.

We used this site a couple years ago when we did the Keys. Just a note though, not sure where you are staying. We stayed in Key West and then in Marathon for what was suppose to be two more nights. We ended up only staying one night. There is basically no nightlife that we found. Not even a movie theater. Now if you are with a group and make your own fun, then no problem. But it was just hubby and I and we really didn't find anything to do past 8PM.

We canc the second night in Marathon and headed back to FLL.

I've never seen that site before thanks!

Yes, the rest of the keys outside Key West are all about being on the water or under it. You'll have no trouble finding a bar open at 7am but good luck finding one after dark!

Capt BJ, I agree with you quite often! :D:D:D

check out the site florida rambler . com. Its a great site for mile by mile information on the drive to thru the keys.

We used this site a couple years ago when we did the Keys. Just a note though, not sure where you are staying. We stayed in Key West and then in Marathon for what was suppose to be two more nights. We ended up only staying one night. There is basically no nightlife that we found. Not even a movie theater. Now if you are with a group and make your own fun, then no problem. But it was just hubby and I and we really didn't find anything to do past 8PM.

We canc the second night in Marathon and headed back to FLL.

Thanks for the site info. I'll check it out. We are staying with friends near Marathon and have rented a house on the gulf side with it's own beach, pool and hot tub. This is the low key, unwinding part of our vacation so I'm not worried about find stuff near by to do. We will drive to Key West one of the days.

if you visit south Florida regularly, or the Orlando area, or use the Florida turnpike system regularly

I HIGHLY recommend buying the $20 transponder .... I've had one for MANY years .. and once also had a sticker on one of my cars ...

TRUST ME .... the $20 version is BETTER if you plan to ever use in more than one vehicle, buy a new vehicle, use in a rental or or or

tip: with the lic plate registered in the database for your Sunpass ... it is not necessary for the SunPass to even be IN your car! With the $20 version you can register multiple plates - can't with the sticker cuz it is not meant to move - if the system sees you go thru a gate with no transponder it checks the database for registered tags b4 issuing a violation (in case the transponder burped) ..... the APP for the $20 transponder lets you add tags (rentals) in short order. I simply put dd's tag in my file and never bought her a transponder ... I get her toll bills at the discounted rate. No fines .... no fouls

I bought a sticker for new car, even having a $20 transponder b4 I figured this all out ..... now for 3 cars in the garage plus dd (lives 2 hours away), I have one transponder that lives in the kitchen drawer

We don't get to Florida often at all. The last time I was there was back in 2012. But thanks of all you info.