Just got back from Diamond 5/24 Med cruise Barcelona to Rome

JanMD

Just got back from the Diamond late last night. Will be posting a review later. It was an excellent trip, great ship, staff perfect. The only thing was we needed to stay in the ports longer. There was too much to do. With all the cruises only being a one week, time goes by so fast!
Jan [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Babs and KKat,

Please please please write a review when you get back. We're doing Istanbul to Venice later in the season and I'm dying to know more about the itinerary. Not to mention the ship. I'm in severe cruise withdrawal right now. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jan, I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip and the ship. One more reason to look forward to the weekend!

Thanks!

Cait

on the Diamond 6/28 Venice to Rome.
Looking forward to reading your review.
Have sailed on the Diamond two previous times,
but last two cruises were on the Navigator and
the Mariner. Hope this ship dosen't look "tired"
compared to the newer ships. Last time we sailed
on the Diamond was 1999. Has it been refurbished
in the last five years?

Trouper 75, (Babs) we are on the same cruise as you for the first segment, Would love to chat more about your plans...

psgabin, we are on the same cruise as you for our second segment. I cannot comment about the Navigator or Mariner, because we have not sailed them before. We have been Crystal fans to Europe until our sailing. We sailed for the first time with RSSC on the PG. Having sailed on a "smaller" ship, we are looking forward to the intimacy of the Diamond, because we loved the smaller ship experience on the PG. Would love to chat more about your plans.

JanMD, still cannot wait until your review!!! Please post soon!!!

Caitlin, you can be assured I will write a review, which tend to be rather lengthy as my PG review. I am not sure it is still posted due to the problems on the board. If not, let me know and I will re-post.

Hello,
We are interested in taking a transatlantic cruise in November on the Diamond. What is the pool area like, enough room in the pools, hot-tubs and with the deck-chairs? Als oin the traditional cabins with balconies, how big are the balconies, is there room for chairs or lounge? Thanks

Maria and Marshall

Maria and Marshall,
If you have been on the Marnier or the Navigator, I think you would not be happy.

There is only one pool. Only one hot tub, as I remember. There are ton's of deck chairs.
The rooms are smaller than normal but the balcony is very large. Except for the Milli aft balcony rooms that have the huge balcony. On the balony there is a nice size table and a 2 chairs on the balcony. There is one main dinning area and then at night Italian rest. on the 10th floor.
But, with you looking at November, I am not sure how much you would be up on deck?? Not sure. I would recommend the ship for the Med, smooth water and remember the ship does not go that fast as the mega ships do. The other location would be for the Caribbean during the quiet time of the year for the seas. That is my own opinion. And yes, I have cruised on 20 cruises now. I have learned. You might want to look at the Voyager crossing.

My wife and I will be on the 6/28 Diamond cruise too, PSGabin (we're from L.A. and just turned 50--but get along with all ages--if you want to consider getting together one the cruise). And we too cruised on the Diamond in the 90s, and since then the PG and Mariner.

Fewer passengers, so space and number of jacuzzis aren't really problematic. Diamond is still supposed to have the top cuisine on RSSC, both in its regular dining room and in Don Vito's. Only downside is the small Norwegian-style tubs.

--Peter and Liz Rich

I'll be on the transatlantic in Nov. as well. The diamond balcony cabins are quite compact with limited closet space and a half-tub (I've never figure that one out--why not just a shower if you can't stretch out in the tub!). The balconies seem smaller than on the Voyager, although they really aren't. They are relatively private, which is nice. Although the cabin is adequate for a single, my hubby and I would feel a bit cramped. The non-balcony cabins are more spacious (but still with the half-tub) and may be preferable for the Nov sailing. I am not expecting deck-type weather, so am not sure how much you would actually spend on the balcony.

On a plus, the Diamond staff does a super job on transatlantics, a bit more casual than the Voyager. Promise you there won't be a dull moment.

Do be aware that the Diamond has a bad habit of arriving late in the final port and plan accordingly. I don't think it'll be as much of a problem in the fall because of the time you gain coming westbound. Still, I'm planning a buffer day in San Juan.

JoAnne

Archived