Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old June 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks...better have a look at the wine packages now! Will probably go for the NA and then have the odd spirit/wine on top with dinner...were doing 12 days round the Med and we think we will be sick of alcohol after a few days if we have it "on tap" every day.

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:02 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
Thanks...better have a look at the wine packages now! Will probably go for the NA and then have the odd spirit/wine on top with dinner...were doing 12 days round the Med and we think we will be sick of alcohol after a few days if we have it "on tap" every day.
Keep in mind the wine packages have a very limited selection of similarly priced wines at a small discount from the regular wine list. If you like variety then take a pass on those and just buy your wines from the much wider selection of bottled wines on the full wine list.

This post shows the wine list. There is a page which shows the limited selections available for the wine packages: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566983

For a new cruiser I'd really recommend waiting until you are on board and check things out before buying any package.

Photo site for past cruises : http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises
Recent cruises: Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Caribbean Mar-2013 and Silhouette Transatlantic Dec-2012

Last edited by Lsimon; June 15th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.

Old June 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsimon View Post
Keep in mind the wine packages have a very limited selection of similarly priced wines at a small discount from the regular wine list. If you like variety then take a pass on those and just buy your wines from the much wider selection of bottled wines on the full wine list.

This post shows the wine list. There is a page which shows the limited selections available for the wine packages: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566983

For a new cruiser I'd really recommend waiting until you are on board and check things out before buying any package.

Larry
I just have to share that I just bought a bottle of one of the wines I enjoy on cruises.
It's The Spur by Murietta's Well (2009). It was $18.99 at Costco. It's approximately $51 on Celebrity and $48ish on Princess. Some markup!!!! Kind of takes the joy out of of it knowing how much i'm overpaying!

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack

Last edited by chamima; June 15th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.

Old June 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamima View Post
Larry
I just have to share that I just bought a bottle of one of the wines I enjoy on cruises.
It's The Spur by Murietta's Well (2009). It was $18.99 at Costco. It's approximately $51 on Celebrity and $48ish on Princess. Some markup!!!! Kind of takes the joy out of of it knowing how much i'm overpaying!
Celebrity's prices on wine are OK and compare well to pricing at restaurants or resorts. It is not realistic to compare the pricing to retail any more than you'd compare the price of steak at a nice restaurant to prices at a supermarket.

Photo site for past cruises : http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises
Recent cruises: Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Caribbean Mar-2013 and Silhouette Transatlantic Dec-2012

Last edited by Lsimon; June 15th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.

Old June 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsimon View Post
Celebrity's prices on wine are OK and compare well to pricing at restaurants or resorts. It is not realistic to compare the pricing to retail any more than you'd compare the price of steak at a nice restaurant to prices at a supermarket.
I consider more than a 2X-2.5X markup excessive.. It's not the same as buying a steak in a supermarket, which you must cook at home. The wine is simply opened. Not a big deal.

Old June 15th, 2012, 03:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfun48 View Post
I consider more than a 2X-2.5X markup excessive.. It's not the same as buying a steak in a supermarket, which you must cook at home. The wine is simply opened. Not a big deal.

I agree. I'm fine with 2X but this is almost triple.
It wasn't that long ago when wine on a ship was considerably less than what we paid in restaurants. Those days are definitely over.
In all fairness - we tried a wine in a restaurant here that we thought was good and reasonably priced at $60 but Costco had that one for $16.99!!!!! (In case anyone wants to try it - it's Buehler Cabernet - also 2009 - let it breathe before you drink it!)

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack

Old June 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM
10,000+ Club

The cruiseships have a monopoly and they certainly take advantage of that. They can argue that they need to stock it and make sure that there is a good variety, which makes them comparable to restuarants and then thay have carry it around on the ship. All this doesn't matter, they charge what they want and people will pay the price. If the price is too high for a particular wine, drink the spirits or beer.

Old June 15th, 2012, 07:51 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamima View Post
(In case anyone wants to try it - it's Buehler Cabernet - also 2009 - let it breathe before you drink it!)
When it comes to wine, I am a murderer and refuse to let it stand long enough to breathe. cheers mic