Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?



 
Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old June 15th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Tog's Avatar
Tog Tog is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Essex, England
Posts: 68
Default

Thanks...better have a look at the wine packages now! Will probably go for the NA and then have the odd spirit/wine on top with dinner...were doing 12 days round the Med and we think we will be sick of alcohol after a few days if we have it "on tap" every day.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #62  
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Lsimon's Avatar
Lsimon Lsimon is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 13,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post
Thanks...better have a look at the wine packages now! Will probably go for the NA and then have the odd spirit/wine on top with dinner...were doing 12 days round the Med and we think we will be sick of alcohol after a few days if we have it "on tap" every day.
Keep in mind the wine packages have a very limited selection of similarly priced wines at a small discount from the regular wine list. If you like variety then take a pass on those and just buy your wines from the much wider selection of bottled wines on the full wine list.

This post shows the wine list. There is a page which shows the limited selections available for the wine packages: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566983

For a new cruiser I'd really recommend waiting until you are on board and check things out before buying any package.
__________________
Larry lsimon@mail.com

Photo site for past cruises : http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises
Recent cruises: Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Caribbean Mar-2013 and Silhouette Transatlantic Dec-2012

Last edited by Lsimon; June 15th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #63  
Old June 15th, 2012, 01:37 PM
chamima's Avatar
chamima chamima is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsimon View Post
Keep in mind the wine packages have a very limited selection of similarly priced wines at a small discount from the regular wine list. If you like variety then take a pass on those and just buy your wines from the much wider selection of bottled wines on the full wine list.

This post shows the wine list. There is a page which shows the limited selections available for the wine packages: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566983

For a new cruiser I'd really recommend waiting until you are on board and check things out before buying any package.


Larry
I just have to share that I just bought a bottle of one of the wines I enjoy on cruises.
It's The Spur by Murietta's Well (2009). It was $18.99 at Costco. It's approximately $51 on Celebrity and $48ish on Princess. Some markup!!!! Kind of takes the joy out of of it knowing how much i'm overpaying!
__________________
Karen

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack


Last edited by chamima; June 15th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #64  
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Lsimon's Avatar
Lsimon Lsimon is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 13,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamima View Post
Larry
I just have to share that I just bought a bottle of one of the wines I enjoy on cruises.
It's The Spur by Murietta's Well (2009). It was $18.99 at Costco. It's approximately $51 on Celebrity and $48ish on Princess. Some markup!!!! Kind of takes the joy out of of it knowing how much i'm overpaying!
Celebrity's prices on wine are OK and compare well to pricing at restaurants or resorts. It is not realistic to compare the pricing to retail any more than you'd compare the price of steak at a nice restaurant to prices at a supermarket.
__________________
Larry lsimon@mail.com

Photo site for past cruises : http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises
Recent cruises: Celebrity Eclipse 14 Night Caribbean Mar-2013 and Silhouette Transatlantic Dec-2012

Last edited by Lsimon; June 15th, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #65  
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:30 PM
drfun48's Avatar
drfun48 drfun48 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middltown NJ USA
Posts: 4,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsimon View Post
Celebrity's prices on wine are OK and compare well to pricing at restaurants or resorts. It is not realistic to compare the pricing to retail any more than you'd compare the price of steak at a nice restaurant to prices at a supermarket.
I consider more than a 2X-2.5X markup excessive.. It's not the same as buying a steak in a supermarket, which you must cook at home. The wine is simply opened. Not a big deal.
__________________
drfun48
Reply With Quote

  #66  
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:49 PM
chamima's Avatar
chamima chamima is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfun48 View Post
I consider more than a 2X-2.5X markup excessive.. It's not the same as buying a steak in a supermarket, which you must cook at home. The wine is simply opened. Not a big deal.

I agree. I'm fine with 2X but this is almost triple.
It wasn't that long ago when wine on a ship was considerably less than what we paid in restaurants. Those days are definitely over.
In all fairness - we tried a wine in a restaurant here that we thought was good and reasonably priced at $60 but Costco had that one for $16.99!!!!! (In case anyone wants to try it - it's Buehler Cabernet - also 2009 - let it breathe before you drink it!)
__________________
Karen

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack

Reply With Quote

  #67  
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:48 PM
MicCanberra's Avatar
MicCanberra MicCanberra is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 13,151
Default

The cruiseships have a monopoly and they certainly take advantage of that. They can argue that they need to stock it and make sure that there is a good variety, which makes them comparable to restuarants and then thay have carry it around on the ship. All this doesn't matter, they charge what they want and people will pay the price. If the price is too high for a particular wine, drink the spirits or beer.
Reply With Quote

  #68  
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:51 PM
MicCanberra's Avatar
MicCanberra MicCanberra is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canberra Australia
Posts: 13,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamima View Post
(In case anyone wants to try it - it's Buehler Cabernet - also 2009 - let it breathe before you drink it!)
When it comes to wine, I am a murderer and refuse to let it stand long enough to breathe. cheers mic
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Ad Sponsored By


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.