Packing with Travel Accessories & Toiletries?

frawnsay

I'm another one who packs different bags for different uses. A bathroom toiletry bag, a hair product bag, makeup bag and a small first aid kit. For me it just simplifies packing, organizing and unpacking.

It's mostly refillable bottles and I pack the same items whether going for a few days or a couple weeks. I have all essential tools (makeup/hair) duplicated so I don't forget anything.

I bring 2 Lesportsac bags....one is smaller and holds my makeup and the

other is medium size and holds my toiltetries. I LOVE THEM BOTH:D

and got them on a major sale at Dillards:)

I do pack my jewelery in a tri-fold organizer and yes, it hangs on the inside of the bathroom door.

I always travel on my own and these items are what works best for

me:)

I just use my old-school, box-shaped, waterproof, toiletry bag. It has a zip-around lid that has a soft handle on top.

I have one of those! I love it, however it doesn't work for me for traveling but I use it at home. I really like a hanger for traveling because I never know what will be the bathroom size of the place I'll be staying.

I organise stuff into different small bags, so hair products go into one bag, skincare products into another, makeup into a tiny bag, medication/first aid I probably won't use goes into another, whilst then I have a very small bag for medication that I will carry with me when I go on excursions because some things I need to have with me. I take a fair amount of toiletries and I like to know where everything is. Then my husband has a toiletries bag too. His contains a razor, shaving cream, toothbrush and a bar of his favourite soap.. he always shakes his head whilst I'm packing all my stuff into multiple bags and trying to wedge them into the suitcase.

I have a zippered, waterproof case that holds all my toiletries and hairbrush. I bring medium-sized shampoo, body wash and lotion with me as I am allergic to the products the ship provides. I have a small zippered case for make up as well.

DH and I are seniors and we travel with a lot of stuff so I always bring an over the door shoe holder with us. The medicine chest is usually filled with drugs so the shoe holder works great for our toiletries, hair products, tooth products, etc. Because the pockets are clear, I don't get the "where is" every fifteen minutes, either. :)

I love reading about how everyone else packs. Even if I don't pack the same way, I still have learned things from reading posts from others about how they pack. In fact, a few years ago I read the idea about the over-the-door shoe thingy, and while I don't use one for cruising, I did attach one to the bathroom door in our motorhome. My husband and teenagers thought I was a genius! Heh.

I also use the small bags method.

Robin

Edited by Robin7

I use sandwich size clear bags for some items and larger ziplock freezer bags for larger things. Used a toiletry bag once for a cruise but found it not my style when travelling.Like the clear bag idea for me as I can put them into different parts of my luggage bags.

• 2 weeks later...

I travel 40+ weeks per year and over 100,000 air miles per year and totally use ziplock bags , I can see what is in every bag and when/if something breaks I just throw put the bag. Clear is your friend. I pack a few extra which can come in handy for random other uses.

I use a Dakine Prima toiletry bag, and I LOVE it. I used to carry my toiletries in a roll-up, hang-over-the-door bag, but I didn't like things being in there sideways. So I got the Prima, and fell in love. It holds a lot of stuff for it's size, and I love that I can stand everything up. Plus it comes with a plastic zippered pouch that velcros to the inside that I can put liquids in. Love!

ImageUploadedByForums1399551342.177591.jpg.3a31de4d5a78c19708506c220f362dfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I saw these mentioned on a board here a couple of years ago: http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Pack-it-Flat-Toiletry-Kit-Raspberry/dp/B001B3MFQW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1399553044&sr=8-7&keywords=ebags

My first one was confiscated by my daughter who goes to school on the other side of the country and does a lot of travelling for her sport.

I replaced it and got them for both of my daughters in law as well. You will be absolutely amazed at how much they actually hold and the take up so little room because they really pack flat!

I have used many different versions of toiletry kits over the years and this one has been the best by far!

I didn't respond, as I was out purchasing said item after I put my little ones to bed. It was at Marshall's/TJ Maxx/HomeGoods...and still there $12.99!

It's four triangular cylinders (prisms) with zipper closures that all velcro to a home base mat, if you will. I can pack it rolled up or detach the four compartments, as advised by previous posts, and place in small spaces in luggage.

Thanks so much, everyone!:D

I have a Mary Kay bag like that - but it takes up so much space in the suitcase....maybe I'll take it out again and relook at it. I suspect that I will use a variety of zip lock bags - hair, face, makeup etc instead of one big bag since there will be 2 women sharing space

Hi. I use a couple of no-leak cosmetic bags in my suitcase to transfer my toiletries. I also go to the dollar store and buy a few plastic trays of various sizes and use these on the bathroom counter to keep track of everything. Depending on size, they fit in the cabinet or under the counter as well. I usually don't even bother bringing them home. Hope this helps.

Lynda

Everyone mentioning that they use sandwich baggies (or whatever you choose to call them) reminds me of a funny travel story where I will embarrass myself...

First time flying after 9-11 and the liquid restrictions, I was traveling with work colleagues (about a dozen of us). We all were simply carrying on our bag to keep travels easy for our overnight for a conference.

And I was ready! I had my quart-sized sandwich baggie filled with my appropriate sized bathroom liquids (shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc.). And I also had another baggie full of appropriate sized cosmetic liquids (lip gloss, liquid eye liner, moisturizer, etc.). And I also had another baggie full of appropriate sized toiletry liquids (sanitizer, lotion, contact solution, mouthwash, etc.). I proudly unpacked my baggies of liquids only to have a male co-worker behind me point out that we were allowed only ONE quart-sized baggie.

DANG IT! I had to throw away some stuff and condensed down to just one extremely packed baggie. The rest of the trip, which was very short thank goodness, resulted in lots of ribbing from the others. "Ask Melinda if she has any _____. She probably packed it!"

Lesson. Learned. :p

I have my ancient Eagle Creek toiletries bag that I use. I've had it since the 90s. If I have any liquids, they do go in my Kippie bag. I'm not so picky about shampoo/conditioner that I have to bring my own. Any makeup I take isn't liquid.

Now, I get info for this cool website, The Grommet, every week. It's a website that promotes unique products from small businesses. They've had this one for a little while: http://www.thegrommet.com/travel/cosmo-by-lay-n-go

If I took a lot of stuff with me, it would sound like a pretty good idea!!! It is a

"bag" that flattens out on your counter, so all your stuff stays in one place. I tried to do a photo, but I couldn't...

I have my ancient Eagle Creek toiletries bag that I use. I've had it since the 90s. If I have any liquids, they do go in my Kippie bag. I'm not so picky about shampoo/conditioner that I have to bring my own. Any makeup I take isn't liquid.

Now, I get info for this cool website, The Grommet, every week. It's a website that promotes unique products from small businesses. They've had this one for a little while: http://www.thegrommet.com/travel/cosmo-by-lay-n-go

If I took a lot of stuff with me, it would sound like a pretty good idea!!! It is a

"bag" that flattens out on your counter, so all your stuff stays in one place. I tried to do a photo, but I couldn't...

wow what a great bag !!!! ;)

[quote name='slidergirl']Now, I get info for this cool website, The Grommet, every week. It's a website that promotes unique products from small businesses. They've had this one for a little while: [url]http://www.thegrommet.com/travel/cosmo-by-lay-n-go[/url].[/QUOTE]

I have a jewelry bag similar to that - my MIL made for me a few years ago. I don't like it for travel - use it at home for the stuff I don't wear often.