RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

You can customize your tour any way you would like. Parking is a problem in most places and generally the driver will drop you off near Trevi Fountain and tell you when and where to meet after near the site. Trevi fountain is a popular site and is generally crowded.

The drivers are full of knowledge and will give you detailed information about each site.

In the Vatican, we hired a guide, and Rome in Limo can arrange that for you. We did the tour twice and wasn't disappointed either time. The Vatican has always been a popular place, but since Pope Francis was elected, it is even more popular. You can buy tickets for the Vatican tour online, which we did, and Rome in Limo will tell you the time to choose.

Before we got out of the limo to see the fountain our driver said we needed to get our coins ( for tossing in the fountain) ready as the pickpockets were laying in wait to see where we kept our money

RIL drivers can navigate very close to sites - while the huge busses can't do anything but park a long way off.

I loved our drivers, so knowledgable and determined to give us the best experience possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked every stop in Italy with this company and Sicily as well. The drivers got us within one block of each stop and, at the fountains , stayed with Van to watch our stuff. advised of such things as don't take any back packs there , kids will razor the bottom grab what falls out and run. Vatican and Coliseum, our driver handed a cell phone with instructions for time and place and when to call for pick up. Rome driver called our next driver in Naples an arranged a guide for Pompeii... Best deal ever is this company. Also there policy is if you don't make the boat in time the driver has to take you to the next port at his expense. All in all a great company. Added bonus was Naples, when our driver started singing Italian Opera. All drivers took us off the beaten path, always was a plus. Sicily, we went to the Gambino winery. Inexpensive, not asked for, and what a treat! 2 1/2 hours of eating drinking , at least 3 bottles per couple of wine, total cost was about 25 euros each. Enjoy your trip!

Our group of 8 (all Cruise Critic roll call members) spent our day in Rome with Nick - a fabulous guy whose personality and charm delighted us throughout the 9 hour day. There was nothing about Rome Nick didn't know and he was enthusiastic and passionate about his beloved Roma. The venue for lunch was perfect, the food and drink expertly prepared and delivered. It was well away for the tourist trail and offered us respite from our exciting day. At the Vatican museums, Nick/Rome in Limo enlisted the services of a wonderful guide, Katherine. She was also extremely knowlegable and personable. Despite the huge crowds in the Vatican museums there on the day we achieved all we set out to do/see and our rendezvous with Nick was timed beautifully. I'm so glad we chose a guide for the Vatican and exceptionally pleased we chose Rome in Limo for our small tour group.

Elizabeth in Florence was very passionate about her love of the Tuscany area and was extremely knowledgeable of the region. She dropped off and collected us at various points in Florence with precision.

Visited July 2014

This is the first trip we really went out on our own and booked 3 private tours. One of the tours was our Rome Tour with the above company. Their guide was on time and professional. We saw all that was promised and more. It was easy to go on the Cruise Critic Roll Call and find 6 other passengers to also enroll. The company makes it very easy for each party to go in separately, enroll and leave their payment info. I would recommend this company to any of you out there that are contemplating a private tour. With 8 of us the tour was cheaper then the cruise price and we were able to get into places the bus couldn't. Happy Cruising Everyione!

I'm booking romeinlimo for some of my pre-cruise time in Rome, thanks to the many accolades here on CC. My questions:

1-They are suggesting an 8 hour tour with a driver, and a guide for the Vatican. Do we need a guide for other sites? Or is the driver usually knowledgeable enough to provide info?

2-Have you ever just gotten a guide at the Vatican rather than scheduled one in advance? If so, how did that work out? Did you still have to stand in line for tickets? Can you just visit the "church" on your own without tickets? (I obviously have lots more research to do! I visited Rome years ago, but I was on a tour and they took care of everything.)

3-Do you tip on top of the fee for the driver, or is it included?

4- Not a romeinlimo question, but has anyone ever done a day trip from Rome to Pompeii? Is that possible?

Thanks in advance for answers to my questions!

I have been to Rome 4 times, the last time,touring with Rome in Limo. I highly recommend them. Only one small criticism, but don't be mistaken, I would absoltmuse them again.

1) in Rome there is no parking, so having a driver gets you right at the location without worrying about parking. Our tour had a tour guide and a driver too, and I never felt like it was a waste.

2) I have purchased tickets in advance for the Vatican and that helps you skip the line. I found it more interesting with a guide but have only had the ones from the tour group I was in, not on the day we did it on our own by purchasing tickets in advance.

3) Tipping is optional, but I always tip the driver and the tour guide. As long as the driver got you to where you were going, and you felt safe in his care.

4) never did this

This is our third time to use Rome In Limo. They are an amazing customer focused tour company that gives outstanding personal attention for a great price. We always use their private tours, so I can't comment on their group tours, except to say they are probably just as wonderful.

We were a family with four adults and two kids ages 15 and 18 and everyone loved our experience. Even the teenagers said our Rome In Limo tours were the highlights of our vacation.

We used them in several areas of Italy and wouldn't go with any one else. Diego picked us up from the airport in Naples and took us on a tour of this lovely city. He knew all the best photo spots and the most wonderful Gelato spot with a grand harbor view. After our tour, he took us to our hotel in Sorrento and helped us get checked in. He was born and raised in Naples, so he knows the city very well and was able to avoid the traffic areas so we got to see so much more than we would have with someone else.

We got Tony for our Amalfi Coast Tour which was over the top wonderful. He took us everywhere we wanted plus gave us some suggestions too. Some we took and others we didn't. The ones we did, were excellent and the entire day was enjoyable. He took us to the most amazing places and was full of stories and history about each one. He was witty and entertaining the entire time. He was an extremely safe driver on treacherous roads. We never worried about our safety even though the other drivers around him were not smart. Tony was very clever and fun to spend a day with!

Paola was our Pompeii guide and she was excellent. So easy to understand and she took us to so many places in Pompeii we didn't see the last time we were there. She was entertaining and clever and made very good use of our limited time. She took really good pictures of us too. She made Pompeii come alive so we could imagine what it was like before the eruption.

Next we were in Rome. Stefano was our driver/guide here. What a remarkable man! He was so funny and informative. He really was every bit a guide as he was a driver. We got to go to all the places I wanted to show my sister's family who had never been before, plus took us to many places that were new for my husband and I. This was a day full of adventure and laughs, wonderful sights, and excellent food. It turns out, Stefano was raised two blocks down the street from the apartment we were in so he was able to give us great recommendations and advice for our area.

Also, for part of this day we had the licensed guide Sara with us. She was a young lady who was fun and interesting too. Of course, the kids really liked her, but we all did. She took us underground at St. Clemente and another church to see old ruins and catacombs areas. This was so fascinating. Without her, we couldn't have gained entry and we certainly would not have known the value and history of what we were seeing. She was incredible!

For our Vatican, St. Peters, and Sistine Chapel tour we had Catherine. She was lovely and was so fascinating. My husband and I had been there twice on previous visits and we still learned so much from Catherine. She was quick paced and never boring even though some of the museum is a bit tedious at times. We got to stop at the places that interested us and she moved us through the other places that didn't. The details she gave about several of the things were so animated and entertaining. You could tell she is passionate about what she does because it really came across in her tour.

Each of these tours lived up to our high standards and expectations since we have used Rome In Limo in the past and know the high level of customer care they provide. We not only got our money's worth but were all entertained and enjoyed our time. It's one thing for adults to be happy, but for our two teenagers to be so impressed and loving every minute was worth far more!

Way to go Rome In Limo! You did it once again. By the way, the lady who sets up the reservations, Jany, is a dream. She is quick and accurate in responding to email and is very organized. I made a few changes in the planning stages and she was able to accommodate me and was very gracious. A remarkable asset!

Isn't Tony the best!! :) our ship even turned up at a different and unplanned port and RIL figured it out and still meet us on the pier?

They are wonderful!

Edited by nana541

Hello - I'm going on a tour with some people from my roll call. I apologize if this has been asked/answered, but what is typically done for lunch? Does the driver recommend some places? Does the driver eat with you? I assume it's NOT included in the cost of the tour.

Just wanted to comment that somebody on my roll call is gluten intolerant. I understand (somebody posted a news article) that Italy is very aware of gluten and it is not difficult to find alternatives. Just wondering if this is something that should be mentioned to RIL in advance.

Thank you.

Edited by Alter Ego

Just wanted to comment that somebody on my roll call is gluten intolerant. I understand (somebody posted a news article) that Italy is very aware of gluten and it is not difficult to find alternatives. Just wondering if this is something that should be mentioned to RIL in advance.

Thank you.

If you have this issue I would absolutely let Janey at RIL know well in advance so she can research some dining alternatives ahead of time... Be sure and let her know what price range and dining experience you want in order accommodate the "gluten intolerant" guest.

If you have this issue I would absolutely let Janey at RIL know well in advance so she can research some dining alternatives ahead of time... Be sure and let her know what price range and dining experience you want in order accommodate the "gluten intolerant" guest.

Thank you (and arthurfowler) for your quick replies! Love cruise critic!

To answer your other question, the driver will typically not dine with you (although they may eat at the same locale). They will help with menus, etc if needed before you start ordering.

In each of the 3 cities/ports that we used RIL none of our drivers ate with us. This is a break time for the driver and a time to call ahead to make sure our next destinations good to go.....mostly a break time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

We just returned from our cruise and used RIL for 2 ports - Rome and Naples. Both times were well above expectations. There were six of us in total (all family) with one person who was travelling with a mobility scooter

In Rome we had Sergio. He truly loves his Rome and took great pleasure in showing us it. Lines to enter St. Peters Basillica were very long (he estimated at least a couple of our wait - there was a conference of German Catholic Students - 50,000 of them in Rome when we were there). We decided with his suggestion to spend limited time in St. Peters Square. He took us to another Basillica (St. Paul outside the wall is what he called it) and it was stunning. He was flexible to our schedule and even made sure we got gelato for our 6-year-old at the end of the day. He was excellent as was our day with him.

In Naples we chose to do the Positanto, Sorrento and Pompeii tour with RIL. We had Giovanni as our driver. While he was very good, we had been spoiled the day before. We had a very enjoyable day but felt a tad rushed and felt like everything was on the clock. The area was very nice. In retrospect, we wish we had more time at Pompeii.

Overall I would highly recommend this company for tours. Well worth the money we spent for the 2 days.

We just returned from our cruise and used RIL for 2 ports - Rome and Naples. Both times were well above expectations. There were six of us in total (all family) with one person who was travelling with a mobility scooter

In Rome we had Sergio. He truly loves his Rome and took great pleasure in showing us it. Lines to enter St. Peters Basillica were very long (he estimated at least a couple of our wait - there was a conference of German Catholic Students - 50,000 of them in Rome when we were there). We decided with his suggestion to spend limited time in St. Peters Square. He took us to another Basillica (St. Paul outside the wall is what he called it) and it was stunning. He was flexible to our schedule and even made sure we got gelato for our 6-year-old at the end of the day. He was excellent as was our day with him.

In Naples we chose to do the Positanto, Sorrento and Pompeii tour with RIL. We had Giovanni as our driver. While he was very good, we had been spoiled the day before. We had a very enjoyable day but felt a tad rushed and felt like everything was on the clock. The area was very nice. In retrospect, we wish we had more time at Pompeii.

Overall I would highly recommend this company for tours. Well worth the money we spent for the 2 days.

Thanks for sharing your experince with us.

I returned to the rome in limo page, and found a detailed description of the 8 pass van, looks very roomy from the one interior photo, looks like 4 rows of 2 bucket seats....:D

I would love to read the description and see photo too, the other thread is soooo long, do you remember what page it was on, please and thank you :)

Just wondering if 8 ppl in these vans is over crowded? what is the seating arrangements 4 rows of 2? 2 rows of 3 one of 2?

I'm not sure what picture they show, but I took 3 tours with them last year and every van had 3 rows of seats, with room for 3 in each row.

There were no complaints of over crowding.

Romeinlimo was one of the best tours I have ever taken.