Montego Bay, Jamaica snorkeling – cruise ship day

astridwilson

Cruising in August with my Mom (she is late 70s). Looking for a beach with facilities for her which include a chair and shade and off shore snorkeling for me. I am a diver and strong swimmer. Need to be able to get there by taxi. 9AM – 1PM is time on beach. Suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Falmouth is a long way from Doctors Cave at Montego, around the other side of the island..Probably time for plan B..

Thanks for the information. We've only been to Ochos Rio a few times and have no idea what to do in Falmouth!!! Only thing we're thinking of right now is perhaps going to the Hilton Rose Hall on a day pass but you have to make reservations ahead of time and put a deposit down as well as pay for the transportation in full. I don't mind that but in the event of heavy rain there is no refund..........and there's really nothing to do there if you can't use the beach and pools. That's the only plan I have right now......it's that or just walk around the port and go back to the ship!

Looking for suggestions..........

We are not just crazy about Jamaica , but we die a snorkel/drunk boat once , and it was really good..

Thanks for the information. We've only been to Ochos Rio a few times and have no idea what to do in Falmouth!!! Only thing we're thinking of right now is perhaps going to the Hilton Rose Hall on a day pass but you have to make reservations ahead of time and put a deposit down as well as pay for the transportation in full. I don't mind that but in the event of heavy rain there is no refund..........and there's really nothing to do there if you can't use the beach and pools. That's the only plan I have right now......it's that or just walk around the port and go back to the ship!

Looking for suggestions..........

We were in Montego Bay back in March. Doctor's cave beach was pretty wonderful. There is good snorkeling to be had out close to the bouy limits where the coral comes up pretty close to the surface. There are paved walkways for a portion of the beach so it is easy enough to get around.

There is an outdoor shower area with several spouts and a couple low spouts to wash off your feet and shoes. In addition, there are mens and ladies washrooms and IIRC, showers inside as well.

Theres chukka beach which seems to be really close to Falmouth. It may be RCCL beach excursion only though--not sure about that. Reggae tours is a reputable service that can take you to Mo Bay and Doctors Cave beach if you go to that beach. $25 pp and that includes round trip and beach admission. I have a co worker just came back from a land trip to Jamicia and she used Reggae tours for a like 4 days all over the Jamicia and raved about them

Archived