River cruising for TALL people (AmaCello 5/30)

Hawaiino

Okay, I'm not THAT tall, but I am 6'7" (or 2 meters). I've been on boats and headroom is sometimes an issue. I've never cruised on anything but scuba liveaboards, so the trip I have scheduled on AMA Cello from 5/30-6/6 is of some concern. Itineraries this close to our travel time (5/21-6/10) are hard to come by for river cruises, so my TA grabbed this one when I suggested it to him. Problem is we are on the Piano Deck, the one at the water line.

Any experience on the AMA Lyra, Dolce, Cello, Legro or Dagio (all seem to be the same boat) by anyone over say....6'4" as far as getting around?

We have till next week to confirm the cabin, and we can also waitlist for another deck.

We cruised the Duoro with AMA. There was a gentleman who was 6'9"--most of the time he walked around with his head bent. Have seen others around your height that seemed to be fine. We cruised on the AMAlegro and didn't see taller people hunched over. Perhaps AMA customer service can answer the question for you. It is a wonderful company. Pat

Uh oh! I just plunked down 800 bucks today and it never occurred to me my 6 foot 6 husband won't fit:eek:

I hope some tall folks respond about this, although I'm sure DH will just make the best of it by suggesting he can spend more time in bed ;)

We have a cello deck cabin, so I think we are in a little better stead, but I guess he will have to deal if not!

My husband is 6'6", and we sailed the AMAcello in 2009. We just came off the AMAverde in January this year.

He is always careful, but he smacked his head on the water/fire sprinkler in the celing in the hall out side the cabin, and ducked through most doorways. Once through doorways you are usually fine, but watch those sprinklers on the ceilings.

DH just tells me that he's already built up a hard spot from whacking things with his head. He's willing to try this one and if he comes home bloodied and bruised we won't do another;)

I always do a full photo review, so I will be sure to include a review of any height related concerns with pics!

You should still have a great time - most of your time is spent off the ship in the destinations anyway! I'm 6'1" and had no problems - I recently took this

of the interior of Uniworld's River Countess, so hopefully it will let you get a good feel for the interior size of a river cruise ship. I have no experience with AMA but would assume interior layout of their ships is relatively similar...

Archived