Milford Sound/Dunedin, New Zealand Overnight

Jade13

What do you see (or miss) on this ships overnight tour, instead of staying on the ship and enjoying the scenery.

Aren't we in Fiordland National Park on the ship.

Queenstown Overnight - Milford Sound/Dunedin (Double Occupancy) (MS06)

Milford Sound, New Zealand

OVERVIEW: This overnight tour combines culture, history and stunning alpine scenery. Travel through the spectacular mountains of New Zealand. Visit historic mining communities and wonderful wineries. Vibrant lakeside cities and peaceful villages are yours to explore. Great food, delicious wine and an evening steamship cruise make for an unforgettable experience.

HIGHLIGHTS: Visit the Gibbston Valley Winery. Explore and shop in Queenstown. Take an evening cruise on a vintage steamship. Visit the Walter Peak High Country Farm, the gold-mining community of Arrowtown and Fiordland National Park.

NOTES: Please see "Important Notes" in the Long Description.

Activity Type: Sightseeing Activity Level: ModerateDuration: 1 day 12 hours 0 minute Restrictions: N/A Departure Time: March 15, 2014 8:30 AM Advisements:

• shorex_advisement_icon_meal.gif
  • shorex_advisement_icon_shopping.gif

*Starting From

Adult575.00 USDChild495.00 USDInfant0.00 USD

Book Now

Loading Related Packages...

Overview:

This overnight tour combines culture, history and stunning alpine scenery. Travel in comfort as you make your way through the spectacular mountains of New Zealand. Visit historic mining communities and wonderful wineries. Vibrant lakeside cities and peaceful villages are yours to explore. Great food, delicious wine and an evening steamship cruise all make for an unforgettable experience.

Highlights:

-Fiordland National Park: Take in the natural beauty of the lakes, mountains and waterfalls.

-Te Anau: Have lunch in the mountain shadows of the towering Remarkables Range.

-Queenstown: Check into your hotel and have the afternoon free to shop and explore.

-Walter Peak High Country Farm: Enjoy dinner and a sheep-dog demonstration.

-Evening Cruise: Board a vintage steamship for an evening cruise across Lake Wakatipu.

-Arrowtown: Explore the museum and former gold-mining community on the Arrow River.

-Gibbston Valley Winery: Visit the winery and enjoy delicious New Zealand wine.

-Clyde: Stop in the small Victorian mountain town for lunch.

Full Description:

DAY 1 Milford Sound – Queenstown

To put it simply, this tour will take you through one of the most beautiful destinations on the face of the earth.

Milford Sound is a great place to start as you make your to Fiordland National Park. You must see this park to believe it. This is the very definition of “Picture Post Card”. The mountain scenery is spectacular and waterfalls are counted by the hundreds. Rushing rivers, alpine lakes, towering mountains and the deep valleys of the Southern Alps; your digital camera is going to run out of digits.

One of the nice features of your trip is the food. You’ll find the lakeside resort community of Te Anau a perfect place to relax and enjoy lunch.

Queenstown is going to be special. Check into your hotel and the rest of the afternoon is yours. This is a delightful town, a nice place to shop for souvenirs and stroll by the lake.

You can’t miss the wonderful evening that is planned. You’ll board a vintage steamship and a cruise across Lake Wakatipu. An elegant dinner will be served at the Walter Peak High Country sheep station. And the amazing sheep-dog demonstration will make you wonder why your own dog can’t even learn to fetch the Sunday paper.

Having recently spent a week in Queenstown and also having cruised the Sounds twice (and being a 'local') I would so do the overland tour!

Especially if your cruise is Sydney to Auckland as you will still get to enter Milford Sound at around 7am and cruise into Milford - that (for me) is the most spectacular part.

Our week in Queenstown has us eager to return for another week! Not sure when.....

I have written on my blog about our Queenstown trip and still... have to upload the photos:rolleyes::eek:

Having recently spent a week in Queenstown and also having cruised the Sounds twice (and being a 'local') I would so do the overland tour! Especially if your cruise is Sydney to Auckland as you will still get to enter Milford Sound at around 7am and cruise into Milford - that (for me) is the most spectacular part. Our week in Queenstown has us eager to return for another week! Not sure when..... I have written on my blog about our Queenstown trip and still... have to upload the photos

Appreciate the above posting by Margo and the good links by super savvy Globaliser.

We are looking forward to our first “down under” visit, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Celebrity Solstice sailing, departing Sydney, going from Australia to Auckland/NZ doing 14 days on this ship we loved in the Med in June 2011. Plus, doing some pre-cruise options for Cairns/Port Douglas, the Rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, then Kangaroo Island near Adelaide before departing from Sidney’s scenic harbor. And, doing the mid-cruise ship over-night trip to and in Queenstown and then stopping in Hawaii on the way home to break up that long, long flight back. We have a nice and super active roll call going at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1614754

Welcome to any who want to join us for this trip and/or travel along via the web as we get prepared for that "adventure".

I have talked with a couple of Solstice cruisers who recently did this over-land tour and they loved it. Have had friends who have spent time in Queenstown and they just raved about how wonderful is this scenic and dramatic region on the south island. Below are a few pictures I have pull off of the web to build excitement for this upcoming cruise and this specific part of NZ.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 5,089 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Here are three previews of and for Queenstown in southern New Zealand. As shown, the nearby mountains there are very dramatic, close and in a setting that combines water to make the physical “drama” even better. Bungee jumping got its start here and you can see in the second picture one of the locations to engage in this “thrill sport”. Looking interesting??:

QueenstownNightMtsViewsWater.jpg

QueenstownJumpOverviewWater.jpg

For those considering the overnight trip to Queenstown in New Zealand during our Solstice cruise, here are some visuals to get folks excited about these options. Or, if you are planning a quick flight down from Auckland at the end of the cruise, this gives a little sampling for the many potentials there. First is a side view of the TSS Earnslaw, a 1912 Edwardian-vintage, 165’ long, steamer that will take us to Walter Peak High Country sheep station with a dog demonstration and buffet. This main building is shown in the second picture. Third is view of the storefronts in Arrowtown, the former mid-1800’s gold-mining community. Finally, here is the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and its rugged gorge where bungee-jumping was invented. This bridge is 141 feet above the river and was completed in late 1880’s.:

NZQueenstownShipSide_zpsa87241bc.jpg

NZSheepRanchExterior_zps56bbbe91.jpg

NZArrowtownStreetFront_zps0224db88.jpg

NZBungeBridgeOne_zps9b22f11f.jpg

Below is a little more on the options, views and potentials with the Celebrity option. We are looking forward to this adventure.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 129,452 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are two more visuals of the Kawarau Suspension Bridge and where bungee-jumping was invented. We will stop here, but long enough for anyone to be doing this jump. But on a our free afternoon in Queenstown, maybe you can make arrangements to go there. Third is one of the nearby Shotover River JetBoats that roar through this dramatic river gorge. Another options for our free afternoon in Queenstown. Sound like more fun than just shopping or sleeping. Finally, one of the views in the dramatic fjords of southern NZ.:

NZBungeBridgeCloser_zps2999da97.jpg

NZHackettBungyBridgeTwo_zps987dcc65.jpg

NZShotoverJetBoat_zpsf5c95429.jpg

NZFjordWaterMtsDramaSnow_zpsecc1ccc8.jpg

For those considering the overnight trip to Queenstown in New Zealand during our Solstice cruise, here is another view of the ship used for the journey there across scenic Lake Wakatipu. Next is another over-view of the Queenstown area and the nearby Remarkable Mountains.:

NZQueenstownShipTwoSide_zps4f64e968.jpg

NZQueenstownOverviewWater_zpsa6d3704c.jpg

My DH says no to this Celebrity overnight to Queenstown but yes to Ayers Rock (pre-cruise).

Also, don't you miss seeing the Penguins from Dunedin (Otago Pennisula) if you do this tour?

This is Milford Sound, seen from the point furthest from the sea. From ground level, this is what Google Maps shows[/url]. Zoom out from there to see where that is on a map.

Jade13: Where is this? Is this the Fjords you would see from the ship if you stay onboard?

Appreciate from Globaliser this map/picture. Yes' date=' it's Milford Sound.[/i'] Didn't realize that this exact location will be where we will be getting off of the ship and then heading towards Queenstown. Great, scenic location. Excited!! Looking forward to this fun and adventure.

It's fun via Bing and Google maps to use these tools to follow along this road route we will travel along the highway in going to Queenstown after we get off of our Solstice ship.

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 5,185 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Whilst in Queenstown last October (we were attending our Car Club AGM Weekend) I won a Bungy Jump! :D Quite funny as out of the 100 at the dinner I was (and am always) the only one using a Power Wheelchair! :rolleyes: So I was not inclined to jump (although they do cater for those in chair :eek:), and I gave the jump to DH! Whilst jumping he had at least 30 car club members in attendance to ensure he did jump! It was the first time in 20 years I have seen DH somewhat anguish - although he denied he was. (We all saw the deep breathes he was taking!) It is not cheap NZD 180, which gives you a tee shirt. Everything else such as the photos DVD etc is extra - $35 upwards.

My DH says no to this Celebrity overnight to Queenstown but yes to Ayers Rock (pre-cruise).

Also, don't you miss seeing the Penguins from Dunedin (Otago Pennisula) if you do this tour?

I am also on Terry's cruise, and am looking forward to this 2-day tour. :) You will spend very little time in Dunedin if you book it.

I wanted to know what you would see if you stayed onboard (which is the direction we are going).

Dusky Sound can only be seen by ship or plane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dusky_Sound

You will miss something whether you go on the 2-day ship tour or stay on the ship. I will spend a few nights in Queenstown and 3 nights in Fiordland after our cruise ends, but my husband won't. Therefore, we are doing the ship tour.

Does the Taieri Gorge Train from Dunedin go over any of these same suspension bridges (or are the similar) from the ones seen from the 2 day cruise tour to Queentown? The bridges look stunning, but I wonder if what you will see from the train leaving Dunedin would be similar?

Does the Taieri Gorge Train from Dunedin go over any of these same suspension bridges (or are the similar) from the ones seen from the 2 day cruise tour to Queentown? The bridges look stunning, but I wonder if what you will see from the train leaving Dunedin would be similar?

The route the train takes is most likely not how the ship tours will travel to Dunedin. You can see the map on the Taieri Gorge's web site.

Archived