Are there kettle in the cabins on Anthem in the USA

scary6166

RCI policy is to provide kettles on sailings out of the UK, but not most other parts of the world.

To avoid giving the crew an early-morning fright by pottering along to a drinks stations in the altogether, you can use room service - no charge other than a tip

JB :)

From what we heard on another RCI ship which had just arrived after her TA to the UK, kettles were suddenly placed in the cabins before reaching Southampton; we also picked up the fact that RCI's kettles are removed when their ships have left the UK for the return TA. Presumably that's the same for Celebrity ships, as the UK manager who introduced kettles on UK sailings did the same for Celebrity.

From what we heard on another RCI ship which had just arrived after her TA to the UK, kettles were suddenly placed in the cabins before reaching Southampton; we also picked up the fact that RCI's kettles are removed when their ships have left the UK for the return TA. Presumably that's the same for Celebrity ships, as the UK manager who introduced kettles on UK sailings did the same for Celebrity.

We've sailed twice to Southampton on Celebrity TAs from the States and you're correct that there were no kettles. Maybe they added them when they were setting up in Southampton - but none before then.

We've sailed twice to Southampton on Celebrity TAs from the States and you're correct that there were no kettles. Maybe they added them when they were setting up in Southampton - but none before then.

Thanks, Janine...some cruisers from the USA stayed on board after their TA, for the next cruise, and were quite bemused to discover a kettle, mugs, tea etc in their cabin. It was a good ploy of RCI/Celebrity to add these, as people who had only sailed with UK lines missed having a kettle!:rolleyes:

Yes, that's exactly what happens. The kettles only appear when sailing out of the UK. For those of us from the US, no kettles and no coffeemakers on most ships unless you are in a suite.

I meant to add, what is puzzling to me is that, except in Las Vegas, almost all American hotels have at least a coffee maker in the room. (which can, of course, also make tea.) So I'm not sure why this is not a feature in every cabin on every ship sailing from the US.

I think it has something to do with the electrical system on the ship. A hotel is using the power grid of a city so they have all they need. A ship has to make its own so it's a limited amount. Hopefully one of the guys who works on ships will come along and explain it better than I can. :)

Edited by sparky-elpaso

I meant to add, what is puzzling to me is that, except in Las Vegas, almost all American hotels have at least a coffee maker in the room. (which can, of course, also make tea.) So I'm not sure why this is not a feature in every cabin on every ship sailing from the US.

On a ship, they design in as few as possible fire risks as possible and try to limit the power consumption to an absolute minimum needed for a comfortable experience.

Coffee makers and electric kettles draw a lot of power.

It wouldn't surprise me if the afore mentioned electric kettles use the few 220v sockets in the Stateroom as that is a more efficient voltage to supply and then consume a large current as in an electric kettle.

Much like large electrical consumption appliances in the US use 220v voltage circuits.

That also leaves the 110v sockets on a different circuit available for other uses within the maximum current available to that Stateroom.

Then you factor in regular electrical appliance testing as well.

The Brits love their tea, as much as US Guests love their coffee as well, but can be more demanding of a cup of fresh brewed tea in their Stateroom.

Then factor in the cleaning time for the Stateroom Host.... Electric kettle vs. coffee maker, grouts, filters etc.

I guess they think US Guests will tolerate having to order room service or wander up to the pool deck more than the Brit's will?

ex techie

Ex-techie...yes, the kettle on RCI appeared to be on 220v, so was quite quick to boil.

I think RCI's first ship into Southampton was the Freedom OTS in 2007- we saw her in the spring- and she was very popular, full of novel ideas. The next season Independence OTS was placed in the port all year round- again, popular, but some Brits went with her once and returned to the lines they knew, which had kettles and a different way of handling tips.

The then UK manager came up with two simple ideas: introduce kettles, and remove the tipping on bar sales. Of course, the bar prices increased, but it met with approval by Brits unused to having anything extra added to the price shown...that had caused a lot of arguing.

RCI appears to listen to what people want; one other thing was that adults of 18yrs could buy alcohol without a signature from a guardian...as CC pointed out, an adult cannot have a guardian. The ships are now enormously popular, as Anthem showed this summer; Indy returns next season and will doubtless mop up folk who first cruised on Anthem- I know of several already. The same ideas carried over to RCI's Celebrity ships in the UK.

Ex-techie...yes, the kettle on RCI appeared to be on 220v, so was quite quick to boil.

I think RCI's first ship into Southampton was the Freedom OTS in 2007- we saw her in the spring- and she was very popular, full of novel ideas. The next season Independence OTS was placed in the port all year round- again, popular, but some Brits went with her once and returned to the lines they knew, which had kettles and a different way of handling tips.

The then UK manager came up with two simple ideas: introduce kettles, and remove the tipping on bar sales. Of course, the bar prices increased, but it met with approval by Brits unused to having anything extra added to the price shown...that had caused a lot of arguing.

RCI appears to listen to what people want; one other thing was that adults of 18yrs could buy alcohol without a signature from a guardian...as CC pointed out, an adult cannot have a guardian. The ships are now enormously popular, as Anthem showed this summer; Indy returns next season and will doubtless mop up folk who first cruised on Anthem- I know of several already. The same ideas carried over to RCI's Celebrity ships in the UK.

Thanks for your comments and insight jocap!

ex techie

edit to add:

A 110v kettle can boil as fast as a 220v kettle, it just that it consumes more power to heat the element in the form of current.

So a 3Kw kettle at 220v would consume around 13 amps.

A 3Kw kettle at 110v would consume around 27 amps.

A 3Kw kettle at 110v would require a very large bulky cable to handle that current and would probably consume more that the total 110v load for that whole Stateroom alone. Plus it would require a special 110v plug and socket as the amperage exceeds the regular US plug loading.

Ships generate electrical power at very high voltages, distribute it to areas, and step that voltage down locally as that is the most efficient way to do so. Each time the voltage is reduced there is loss, so the less you have to reduce it the better.

Probably too much info than required!

Edited by Ex techie
to add.