Advice on DIY Pre-Cruise Land Touring for 1 week (June '16)

lmkucala

OK - thanks to everyone's advice here (and patience/persistence) I have a Southbound cruise on hold for 2016 (need to confirm in next 2 days) leaving Whittier on Saturday, 6/18. Originally there were no balconies available for anything SB on Princess but one opened up last night and I grabbed it before it disappeared again!

We are also planning for 1 week pre-cruise (vs 4-5 days thanks again to advice here), with plans to fly into Alaska (Fairbanks or Anchorage), arriving most likely early the morning of Saturday, 6/11.

It will be my husband, myself, and 12-year old son. We are interested in scenery, wildlife, hiking, and honestly just seeing different things as we have never been to Alaska before. I also know we can't see it all this trip. My original thought was fly into Fairbanks, then go to Denali for 2 days (before researching it felt like a must-do), then somewhere in the Kenai Fjords National Park area (maybe Seward) before heading to Whittier (we will rent a car-I've got one on hold with Avis for now).

After looking at Fairbanks and Denali, I'm thinking Fairbanks may not have a whole lot we would be interested in, and although Wonder Lake and Mt. McKinley and hiking are attractive, I'm not sure any of us will be interested in an 11- hour bus ride especially within our first couple of days of a 2 week vacation. I just think we may be happier doing some other things.

So I need help with this:

• Is it worth it to go to Denali for 2 days if we don't want to do the bus? What other activities could we do and still experience it?
  • If we decide to fly into Anchorage, what other areas might you suggest as 1, 2, or 3 day stops besides Seward?

Other things we may want to do - if not during our land touring at the ports:

• Dog sledding
  • Possible air tour of some kind
  • Kenai Fjords boat trip
  • Hiking anywhere
  • Possibly a bear tour - will need to see if the budget allows - seems this would be the opportunity of a lifetime

So - should we skip Denali and plan somewhere else? Will we get our fill of wildlife in other areas if we do that?

As FYI the cruise will do Glacier Bay, Hubbard, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

A RT rental out of Anchorage will be the most budget friendly option.

I posted 2-3 weeks ago about 1-week rentals for $200. Early June is a nice time to be visiting Denali .... park will be greening up and sows with cubs will be chowing down.

With the interests you outlined, your itinerary could look something like this:

6/11 arrive in Anc, pick up car and drive to denali 5 hrs.

12 shuttle bus to Eielson 4 hrs each way. (budget bear viewing). You can do a return trip on the bus, or hop off at any time to hike, or hike at Eielson for a few hrs to break up the ride.

13 10am sled dog, demo drive to girdwood (1 hr south of anc)

14 hike Harding ice field

15 visit Wildlife conservation center, drive to seward, stopping at exit glacier

16 kenai cruise

17 heli sled dog or dog carting with Seavey's. Drive back to Anc

18 morning around Anc, then afternoon shuttle to whittier

Edited by mapleleaves

A RT rental out of Anchorage will be the most budget friendly option.

I posted 2-3 weeks ago about 1-week rentals for $200. Early June is a nice time to be visiting Denali .... park will be greening up and sows with cubs will be chowing down.

With the interests you outlined, your itinerary could look something like this:

6/11 arrive in Anc, pick up car and drive to denali 5 hrs.

12 shuttle bus to Eielson 4 hrs each way. (budget bear viewing). You can do a return trip on the bus, or hop off at any time to hike, or hike at Eielson for a few hrs to break up the ride.

13 10am sled dog, demo drive to girdwood (1 hr south of anc)

14 hike Harding ice field

15 visit Wildlife conservation center, drive to seward, stopping at exit glacier

16 kenai cruise

17 heli sled dog or dog carting with Seavey's. Drive back to Anc

18 morning around Anc, then afternoon shuttle to whittier

Why would you recommend hiking the Harding Ice Field, backtrack to the Portage area for the Conservatory, then go back to Seward????

Edited by Budget Queen

Our 2012 first and supposed once-in-a-lifetime trip to Alaska did not include Denali. When I looked at distance and time involved I decided that we did not have the time to do it justice. Instead we focused on Turnagain Arm, Seward, and Matanuska Glacier area. Between that and the cruise excursions we saw Black Bear, Brown Bear, Moose, loads of Bald Eagles and other birds, Humpback Whales, seals, Dahl Sheep, and lovely native plants. It takes good observational skills and binoculars to view animals in the wild!

Our 2016 Alaska trip focuses on Denali for the land portion. Who knows what we will see or even if Denali (Former Mt McKinley) will be visible?

This website is very useful http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

Edited by Alaskanb

OK - thanks to everyone's advice here (and patience/persistence) I have a Southbound cruise on hold for 2016 (need to confirm in next 2 days) leaving Whittier on Saturday, 6/18. Originally there were no balconies available for anything SB on Princess but one opened up last night and I grabbed it before it disappeared again!

We are also planning for 1 week pre-cruise (vs 4-5 days thanks again to advice here), with plans to fly into Alaska (Fairbanks or Anchorage), arriving most likely early the morning of Saturday, 6/11.

It will be my husband, myself, and 12-year old son. We are interested in scenery, wildlife, hiking, and honestly just seeing different things as we have never been to Alaska before. I also know we can't see it all this trip. My original thought was fly into Fairbanks, then go to Denali for 2 days (before researching it felt like a must-do), then somewhere in the Kenai Fjords National Park area (maybe Seward) before heading to Whittier (we will rent a car-I've got one on hold with Avis for now).

After looking at Fairbanks and Denali, I'm thinking Fairbanks may not have a whole lot we would be interested in, and although Wonder Lake and Mt. McKinley and hiking are attractive, I'm not sure any of us will be interested in an 11- hour bus ride especially within our first couple of days of a 2 week vacation. I just think we may be happier doing some other things.

So I need help with this:

• Is it worth it to go to Denali for 2 days if we don't want to do the bus? What other activities could we do and still experience it?
  • If we decide to fly into Anchorage, what other areas might you suggest as 1, 2, or 3 day stops besides Seward?

Other things we may want to do - if not during our land touring at the ports:

• Dog sledding
  • Possible air tour of some kind
  • Kenai Fjords boat trip
  • Hiking anywhere
  • Possibly a bear tour - will need to see if the budget allows - seems this would be the opportunity of a lifetime

So - should we skip Denali and plan somewhere else? Will we get our fill of wildlife in other areas if we do that?

As FYI the cruise will do Glacier Bay, Hubbard, Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan.

You seem eager to set reservations up, BUT, you don't seem to have all your information? Some wrong assumptions, perhaps, as well?

You are too early for the fly in bear tours. You mention "wildlife" in both your posts. Clearly- Denali park and getting INTO the park, is the bargain of Alaska for this. I NEVER, think the ride "too long", the day just breezes by. But, if you aren't interested in scenery or making an effort with binoculars and searching for wildlife, then look further. No- in my opinion, if you aren't going to make the effort and get into the park- to at least Eielson, then I do not recommend even going there.

Time- is something, you aren't trying to skimp on in Alaska. Distances are vast, you need to allow 6 hours Anchorage/Denali. 4 Anchorage/Seward. A money saving option is to do a round trip Anchorage car, until you go back through Anchorage, then have a one way for Anchorage/Whittier, with the ability to include Seward and Homer.

It seems to me, you would benefit by, finding out more information about various areas, THEN look at an itinerary. Each has a website, did you go to http://www.nps.gov/dena ?

Look at http://www.anchorage.net http://www.seward.com The Mat Su valley, Homer, Valdez

You have a "list" of activities- as I already mentioned, for wildlife- you need to invest the time in Denali- at least 2 nights and get to at least Eielson. Kenai Fjords boat tour of at least 6 hours out of Seward. Those are two very successful jackpot areas- for anyone who has a wildlife priority - needs to include.

Glacier dog sledding, Juneau, Skagway, Girdwood, Seward.

Hiking is everywhere, I mentioned taking a look at the Alaska State Parks trail system for a start. Many also available on the inside passage. Flights are also all over Alaska, you may further, need to determine, type of aircraft preferred? Or plan on 2++?

Fodor's Alaska, Formmer's Alaska along with their Alaska Port of Call books are especially concise reading. In my opinion, you need to have a family meeting of some sort and keep narrowing down lists. An excellent itinerary takes a LOT of time with a first timer (I admit, I can run mine out in minutes going multiple weeks). Don't jump into first, second or even third drafts. You are going to find the more you educate yourself on, the prior choices, now, aren't that good any longer or what you thought they were. Fine tuning will take many revisions. The best itineraries, come from this process. You really can't rush it. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Why would you recommend hiking the Harding Ice Field, backtrack to the Portage area for the Conservatory, then go back to Seward????

Thanks for catching that ...... I meant Byron Glacier .:o

(there are a number of nice trails around the Girdwood/Portage area )

Thanks everyone - this gives me some things to look at.

budgetqueen - not trying to rush it and no plans to book any tours (or even hotels) yet - just trying to finalize two things right now:

1. cruise
  2. where we are flying into and out of

The rest I agree with you will come as I learn more. So far your tips have been very helpful! I agree I need to do some reading/research a bit more.

I am the planner for vacations in my family, and generally my husband lets me do it and goes with the flow and loves it. Last night I told him just what you said - he is going to need to learn about some of this and provide some input this time! There are too many options for me to decide on for all of us! My thought is to have each of the three of us pick one major thing we want to do, and we will plan the rest around that to get as much variety as possible without as you say rushing too much from place to place. Right now I'm not even at the point where I'm ready to give them a list of possibilities as it is too endless!

Thanks again!

We stayed at the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood --this is their trail info for the area http://www.alyeskaresort.com/mountain/summer_hiking.aspx

It was pouring with rain one day so we did not trail walk as much as we wanted to.

If you want "easy" views of wildlife and good educational opportunities I recommend the Wildlife Conservation Center https://www.alaskawildlife.org/, Alaska Sealife Center in Seward http://www.alaskasealife.org/New/visitors/index.php?page=programs-tours.php

Musk Ox Farm in Palmer http://www.muskoxfarm.org/

The Matanuska Glacier is stunning on a sunny day http://www.matanuska-glacier.com/. Lots of short trails along the Glen Highway with lovely views.

Don't forget the cultural and historical side of Alaska! Some reading on the topics of the Alaskan Goldrush/ Skagway/ Chilkoot Trail really enhance the port of Skagway. Ketchikan benefits from research on totems and indigenous peoples. Juneau has super whale watch expeditions.

What I end up doing is to create a table with what we will do where to create a balanced plan.

I am the planner for vacations in my family, and generally my husband lets me do it and goes with the flow and loves it. Last night I told him just what you said - he is going to need to learn about some of this and provide some input this time! There are too many options for me to decide on for all of us! My thought is to have each of the three of us pick one major thing we want to do, and we will plan the rest around that to get as much variety as possible without as you say rushing too much from place to place. Right now I'm not even at the point where I'm ready to give them a list of possibilities as it is too endless!

Thanks again!

Make sure that you have back-up plans as some excursions can be cancelled due to weather.

Also look at excursions offered in ports so that you are not duplicating a lot on land.

With your interest in wildlife, hiking and scenery, it would be a shame to skip Denali. Having said that, if you have no interest in taking the bus into the park, just stay further south and skip Denali. Really not worth the 10-12 hour round trip car ride if you don't get deeper into the park.

Having said that, you will be amazed at how fast the time on the bus goes by, as was said above. So many stops for wildlife, scenery, rest stops, etc. Plus, if you get off the bus to hike, it will be amazing. Very few if any other national parks have such "trail-less" hiking. Most parks say "Stay on the trail." At Denali they say "Don't make a trail."

Edited by frugaltravel

My son was 8 when we went to Alaska, but getting to hike on the Matanuska Glacier was one of the highlights of our trip (look at MICA guides or another company).

We also hiked to Crow Pass near Girdwood, went to Seward (Exit Glacier) and liked the Hatcher Pass Area. We did go to Denali and took the bus to Eilson and did a little bit of hiking from there (the mountain was out). We were glad to have seen Denali, and we had 10 days. In retrospect if we had to cut something it would have been Denali; just a long drive there and a long time on the bus.